13-10-2010, 09:55
|
#1
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Android / POP mailboxes
Hi,
How well do Android mobiles handle pop3 mailboxes?
I don't think they can use push for pop3 can they?
Cheers!
|
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 10:08
|
#2
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
My desire did indeed handle my pop emails fine.
As for push, I think support for it was added in the 2.2 update.
http://blog.boxedice.com/2010/10/07/...ions-tutorial/
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 10:28
|
#3
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
OK - so I have a couple of pop3 mailboxes - I'm assuming I can set these up on Android and get them to poll / sync according to a schedule?? If I delete a message does it delete from the pop3 mailbox or are there settings I can configure?
|
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 10:32
|
#4
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
You can set the time interval for it to check and delete from the server if you wish or leave it on there yup.
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 10:44
|
#5
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
Cool - so it's pull email not push...
|
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 11:16
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
For mobile use, IMAP is a much better protocol as you could end up with a very large bill and a slow responding phone if you receive emails with large attachments, IMAP only downloads the message headers and possibly a small portion of the body and will not download the full message until you prompt it
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 12:25
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
That's how I've got my mail set up on my Android
IMAP on mobile and then POP at main PC. Works brilliantly
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 13:04
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doncaster, S. Yorks.
Age: 43
Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
Posts: 2,320
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
I use IMAP all of the time, mainly because I'm quite good at deleting ones I don't need. I just find the syncronisation between PC/Mobile better on IMAP (as you see the same messages)
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 17:37
|
#9
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
Do you still have to setup a check / sync schedule with IMAP?
|
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 18:08
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doncaster, S. Yorks.
Age: 43
Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
Posts: 2,320
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
Well, I only sync gmail and that has push, but if its your ntl/tw/domain-based email then yes you probably would have to set up a schedule.
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 18:17
|
#11
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker
Well, I only sync gmail and that has push, but if its your ntl/tw/domain-based email then yes you probably would have to set up a schedule.
|
Yeah - but gmail has it's built in mail app to intergrate with Google systems so push for that mail is a given.
|
|
|
|
13-10-2010, 19:34
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: peterborough
Services: VM VIP50
Posts: 2,043
|
Re: Android / POP mailboxes
I have gmail pick up all my mail. Works a treat
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22.
|