Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
10-10-2010, 17:14
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
I've been taking quite a few pics on my Sony DSC HX1 lately and want to delete the rubbish ones from the memory card to save space. I've been using the camera's default file labelling system but found that when I delete files, gaps are left on the card which are then overwritten by the next lot of pictures. This causes problems because when I then upload the card's contents to my PC some of the latest pictures are mixed up with those from the earlier session(s) and indentifying them is a pain. Is there any easy way of preventing this or making sure each session's work is stored in order on the card no matter what's been deleted from the last time?
Hope that makes some sort of sense...  Cheers as always.
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 17:31
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: M'boro
Age: 70
Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Posts: 1,818
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
can you format the card from the camera each time before you use it.
then download everything to the pc ,THEN delete the rubbish?
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 17:50
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mansfield, Notts
Age: 46
Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Posts: 1,994
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
I agree with the suggestion made by Scrubbs.
If I take any photos that are in any way important and worth keeping, they are transferred to my PC straight away and backed up at the same time. Doesn't matter then if the memory card get's formatted, corrupted, lost, etc.
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 18:02
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
Posts: 5,536
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
i agree with Scrubbs too
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 18:47
|
#5
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
Can you not sort them by date when uploading? What photo management software do you use? I know iPhoto does this by default.
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 20:13
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
Thanks guys. I like to keep the good files on the card for a period of time so don't want to just wipe it clean after each session. I use MS Scanner and Camera Wizard for getting them from the card onto the PC and it's at this point that I'm finding the issue as there doesn't seem to be a way to easily identify the files according to date.
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 20:19
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: M'boro
Age: 70
Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Posts: 1,818
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
what about, open the card, ignore the prompts for wizard, and open files for viewing in thumbnails or details , and sort them from there?
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 20:26
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Expanding Town with crap roads
Age: 67
Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Posts: 7,674
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
The best alternative is to use more than one memory card. Regular formatting of the card is essential to avoid the card getting corrupted. As long as the pictures are uploaded you will not lose anything.
The only other way would be to upload everything, delete the ones you don't want then format the card & send the ones you do want back to the camera memory as one file.
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 21:16
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
Thanks Scrubbs and Angua. Think I may have to resort to that unless I can find some way to label the files from each session separately via the camera. Not sure if that's possible though.....
I have 4 x 4gb memory stick cards and what I tend to do is keep the old files on the cards until I'm using the 4th one then I start reformatting the cards as I need them and in rotation. Given the capacity of the cards I find I may get half a dozen or so sessions on each one and I'd really like to be able to label the files from each session independently so they're readily identifiable when uploading onto my pc.
|
|
|
10-10-2010, 21:57
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
See pages 122 (Creating a recording folder) 123 (changing the recording folder)of the manual
Just create another folder and then set the camera to record to it
{page 98 for changing the viewing folder when you want to browse the images in a non-standard folder}
|
|
|
11-10-2010, 11:03
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
See pages 122 (Creating a recording folder) 123 (changing the recording folder)of the manual
Just create another folder and then set the camera to record to it
{page 98 for changing the viewing folder when you want to browse the images in a non-standard folder}
|
TVM
Had given up on the manual.... So now I just need to get into the habit of creating a new folder each time I finish the session.
|
|
|
11-10-2010, 11:10
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
The modern stuff is very good with memory cards and features like folders have been introduced in a lot of stuff especially due tot he fact that a 16/32GB cards can hold thousands of pictures
|
|
|
11-10-2010, 11:23
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Deleting certain files from a camera memory card
Excellent, just created and selected new rec folder. I notice that the images on the previous folder(s) are all still automatically displayed when reviewing them on the camera but all new files are written to the new folder.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:46.
|