Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What's the best way to upgrade?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

What's the best way to upgrade?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 15:24   #1
J@ffa
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 34
J@ffa is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the best way to upgrade?

Hi all! I'm bowing to the superior knowledge of the members here with regards to Virgin Media's services.

At the moment I get my broadband, and just my broadband, from Virgin. I've been a member for many years and pay £37.99 a month for 20MB. Given that Be offer 24mb ADSL for less than £20, I'd like to change this. What I really fancy is the XL tv package with whatever I need for the HDness (the box? more money?). The key is that:

a) I don't really want to pay more than I already am (and ideally I'd end up paying less!), and

b) I don't want or need telephone service from VM. I'll take it if it makes things cheaper or I have to, but I'll just end up sticking the phone stuff to gather dust in a cupboard.

I'd be happy to drop down to 10mb if it made things easier/cheaper/etc. So: what's the best way to go about all this? Any promotions, tricks, etc? I'd appreciate any advice.
J@ffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2010, 15:35   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive
 
MovedGoalPosts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What's the best way to upgrade?

The point to remember is that although you may not need phone services from VM, you are going to be paying somebody for a phone line rental if you go down the ADSL route. Remember too that with ADSL the speed you get is likely to be much less than the 24 meg maximum due to the line distance / quality so all things might not be as cheap as it seems. With the way VM's pricing works you don't save much by not having the VM phone line.

For HD you need at least VM's new V HD box, or V+ if you want the PVR functions. YOu should already be entitled to the basic Virgin "M" TV with your current packages, but that won't include any of the HD stuff.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 16:23   #3
J@ffa
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 34
J@ffa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What's the best way to upgrade?

That makes sense. Still, the 10MB + the XL TV package is £35.50 a month plus £11.99 a month for a phone line I don't want. How do I work out what it would be without the phone line, or alternatively, can I negotiate a better deal somehow?
J@ffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 18:25   #4
Jameseh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What's the best way to upgrade?

Add at least £6 onto the bundles as XL TV alone is £6 more without a Virgin phone line.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59   #5
RobboEdin
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,070
RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: What's the best way to upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@ffa View Post
That makes sense. Still, the 10MB + the XL TV package is £35.50 a month plus £11.99 a month for a phone line I don't want. How do I work out what it would be without the phone line, or alternatively, can I negotiate a better deal somehow?
I think BB L and TV XL without any phoneline is £42.50, assuming ebilling and DD.

BB L and TV L is £30.50 and I think TV XL is £12 more than TV L.

Based on this webpage:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/webs...ct.do?id=11025
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:51   #6
J@ffa
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 34
J@ffa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What's the best way to upgrade?

Am I likely to get anywhere negotiating a lower monthly rate with the retentions people? What sort of movement are they able to offer in terms of lowering the standard rate? I think I've read in the past of people having some success with this approach…
J@ffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:59.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum