Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
02-08-2010, 18:29
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Coventry
Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 1,508
|
Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/...rgin-tivo-pvr/
Quote:
Virgin Media has turned to long-term supplier Cisco for its first ‘TiVo inside’ set-top when the navigation technology becomes the cableco’s prime middleware later this year. However, plans to retrofit TiVo into the operator’s existing set-top boxes have hit a stumbling block after it emerged the technology was not suitable for all of the receivers currently deployed on the network.
A new Cisco personal video recorder is due to be shipped shortly before Christmas when TiVo will soft launch.
....In an investor call last week Virgin Media CEO Neil Berkett described TiVo as a platform that would work for the cableco’s TV customers in the same way that DOCSIS 3 had been implemented for its broadband internet subscribers. “We will be first mover into next generation TV and I think we will also be best mover. It will be a superior product to Sky’s codename Darwin, it will be a better product than Canvas, and it will be first out”.
In addition to new deployments it is hoped the TiVo software will be downloaded into a part of the existing installed base. “The current V+ HD, ie non-DVR boxes that we are sourcing from Cisco, are compatible with TiVo, so we could drop TiVo onto those, but the Samsung DVRs are not, so we would probably launch DVRs that we would source from Cisco initially and they would be new to requirements,” said Berkett.
|
So.......the SA V+HD (Scientific-Atlanta will now part of Cisco) will be Tivo compatible but the Sammys won't?
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 19:05
|
#2
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan
|
Well Cisco have recently taken over Scientific Atlanta and rebranded the modems that we source from them to Cisco.
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 19:19
|
#3
|
|
CF Resident Dog
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,200
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
I hope the original V+ box can take it.
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 19:20
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 76
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
The SA V+ are poor as they are. I only dread what will happen when tivo gets put on it.
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 19:43
|
#5
|
|
CF Resident Dog
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,200
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
My SA box is fine, although i would like the channel change to be faster.
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 19:56
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Age: 54
Services: VIP50, TiVo
Posts: 2,869
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
It's a typo. He's talking about the V HD boxes, not the V+ HD boxes, hence where he says "non-DVR boxes".
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 20:43
|
#7
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab1990
The SA V+ are poor as they are. I only dread what will happen when tivo gets put on it.
|
My SA V+ works perfectly and has done for over 2 years, so I have no idea what you are actually on about.
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 21:31
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Coventry
Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 1,508
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque
My SA V+ works perfectly and has done for over 2 years, so I have no idea what you are actually on about. 
|
+1
I've had a few issues recently, but considering I've had a Sliver Box since Xmas 2006 back in the NTL days, that's not bad going.
As soon as I've watched all my recorded stuff I'll give mine a quick reformat.
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 22:31
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,567
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
He definitely said V HD, not V+ HD.
The only box available at the moment that is compatible is the Cisco V HD.
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 22:34
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,931
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
Well this is upsetting, I'm just hoping the existing EPG provider is gonna bring a new EPG out for the older boxes, the current one has been on for 3 years. I miss the ntl: blue one
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 22:49
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Telford
Age: 32
Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2
Galaxy S 5 on EE
Posts: 1,034
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B
Well this is upsetting, I'm just hoping the existing EPG provider is gonna bring a new EPG out for the older boxes, the current one has been on for 3 years. I miss the ntl: blue one 
|
I don't mind as long as it's quick (however I do admit it's got faster lately) and the colour scheme is improved, the white text reflects on the black on my TV and then it appears very blurry if you read for more than 1 minute.
Maybe I could do a few mock-ups if anyone wants?
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 22:57
|
#12
|
|
Media Watcher
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Essex
Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Posts: 2,416
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B
Well this is upsetting, I'm just hoping the existing EPG provider is gonna bring a new EPG out for the older boxes,
|
Somehow I doubt it.
The facts we know about this are:
The contract for the current EPG provider, Liberate, expires next year.
TIVO will only run on SA/Cisco boxes both standard and PVR versions.
So, that leaves a lot of boxes that won't/can't get TIVO.
Two options for VM, either replace the stbs that can't get tivo or sign a new deal with Liberate. Personally I think it will be a bit of both.
I think VM will extend their contract for Liberate for another 3 years. As and when non SA/Cisco boxes break down they will be replaced with TIVO compatible boxes but VM will not do a mass replacement all in one go.
A clue as to why I think VM will do this is they are still developing their current EPG. We now how some tivo like features on it, ie suggestions for similar shows. If Liberate were to be dropped completely next year, why continue developments on this software? Me thinks it will be around a tad bit longer...
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 23:18
|
#13
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 44
Services: XL 2x v+, 1 stb, 50mb, phone
Posts: 514
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
VM all i ask of you, is when you send out brand new boxes i expect the loading, menus and the button response to be crisp, not clunky and half a hour to change a channel.
|
|
|
02-08-2010, 23:31
|
#14
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab1990
The SA V+ are poor as they are. I only dread what will happen when tivo gets put on it.
|
Depends on the specs required for the software. The Tivo series 1 software has a far better guide than the current v+ software, yet runs on hardware with a fraction of the processing power of the v+ hardware (even the SA V+)
|
|
|
03-08-2010, 00:08
|
#15
|
|
[CENSORED]
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wolverhampton
Age: 48
Posts: 4,218
|
Re: Virgin CEO on Tivo deployment
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ
I hope the original V+ box can take it.
|
or even the old TV Drives
__________________
Help save the world from loosers
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:37.
|