My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
01-07-2010, 18:07
|
#76
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
I think whatever you type in will search the whole thing. So both Title and Genre
For instance I've just typed in 'Comedy' and it's brought up both things with Comedy in the title and things like 'Frasier'
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 09:28
|
#77
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 67
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
I think whatever you type in will search the whole thing. So both Title and Genre
For instance I've just typed in 'Comedy' and it's brought up both things with Comedy in the title and things like 'Frasier'
|
Isn't that because Frasier is on 'Comedy' Central rather than because of the genre though?
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 09:39
|
#78
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
It also brought up from the TV Guide 'Family Guy' which is showing on FX and in Catch up TV 'Mongrels' on BBC HD
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 09:59
|
#79
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Newcastle Staffordshire(Bromley)
Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
Posts: 1,742
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
We dont sub to movies but put a search in for batman returns which is on in a while and it didnt come up just golmaal returns which i guess is pay per view.
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 10:47
|
#80
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge
We dont sub to movies but put a search in for batman returns which is on in a while and it didnt come up just golmaal returns which i guess is pay per view.
|
If you're not subscribed to a channel its programmes are knocked out of the searchable list for the tv guide search (at the moment, anyway).
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 12:16
|
#81
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Age: 62
Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Posts: 897
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.munky
Red/Green as PgUp/PgDn are standard elsewhere - TV Guide & other On Demand listings screens, for example. It would be nice to use the actual PgUp/PgDn buttons, I agree, but not all RC units have these. The difficulty is coming up with a standard which works for all boxes and all remotes; given the very large number of possible combinations, in practice this becomes rather difficult. Your focus-sensitive blue button idea sounds rather good, actually - very useful feedback. I'll take that one away, thank you. 
|
I appreciate that button functionality has to cater for all RCs out there although I am surprised that there are some (perhaps not that many?) that do not have PgUp/PgDn (how do those people live?  ).
My RC keyboard is one of those remotes and I think it should be supported by the search as it's the very sort of application that the keyboards were intended for.
The context-sensitivity should not apply only to Blue but to Red, Green and Yellow too (or we'll need more coloured buttons!  ).
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 12:29
|
#82
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 67
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
It also brought up from the TV Guide 'Family Guy' which is showing on FX and in Catch up TV 'Mongrels' on BBC HD
|
Ah, that's good.
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 12:31
|
#83
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Age: 62
Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Posts: 897
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
....agree about the teething problems.
This new search feature has landed in my area so I thought I'd give it a quick spin.
When into it, with the blue "more like this" button at the bottom of the page. There were already four selections of programmes there so I pressed the blue "more like this" button on the Scottish parliament programme hoping to get more of the same. (Not sure why I selected Scottish parliament, perhaps I just wanted to see what those Scots were wasting our taxpayers money on...  ). I digress.
But instead of getting more Scotch Parliament action, one of the options was Jeremy Kyle!
Now, I know the Scots are a rough bunch but they're not as bad as that total plonker...
I've just given it one last try, so I pressed the magic blue button on Homes Under The Hammer, an easy subject to find similar stuff, one would think. This is what I got:
Indian Hill Railways
Animal Park
A Century Of Fatherhood
Crop To Shop
Gardener's World
Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives
At least when I'm bored, I've got a new toy to play with now. I guess Gardener's World is related to stuff about homes, but Parallel Worlds??
|
From an episode of King of Queens ...
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Spence Olchin
"Oh my God! TiVo thinks I'm gay!"
|
... it's apparent that the underlying software performs some kind of profiling based on your choice of programming.
Soon you'll be getting seeds and tickets to steam rallies in the post!
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 13:13
|
#84
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle
From an episode of King of Queens ... ... it's apparent that the underlying software performs some kind of profiling based on your choice of programming.
Soon you'll be getting seeds and tickets to steam rallies in the post! 
|
This isn't the TiVo software so as far as I'm aware it currently won't build a profile on your viewing habits
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 13:29
|
#85
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,922
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
I like the fact that I can record any program that I find as a result of playing around in the search/TV guide area and that I still have access to the information option.
I know , I know, simple things but they appeal to me.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
02-07-2010, 14:36
|
#86
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Age: 62
Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Posts: 897
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
This isn't the TiVo software so as far as I'm aware it currently won't build a profile on your viewing habits
|
I didn't think it was the TiVo software just yet but it's a sign of things to come. Soon the box will be telling you what to watch and when to eat! 
---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne
I like the fact that I can record any program that I find as a result of playing around in the search/TV guide area and that I still have access to the information option.
I know , I know, simple things but they appeal to me. 
|
Sure a ball o' twine would keep you amused for hours.
|
|
|
05-07-2010, 20:46
|
#87
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Apr 2008
Services: V6 with Maxit, Sky Sports HD, TNT Sports, Sky Cinema. 250Mb broadband, Talk Anytime.
Posts: 645
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
It certainly sounds like the search can be quite clever when it wants to be, and I'm impressed with the interface.
But.. I've just searched for "east" - it should pick up any episodes of Eastenders from last Tuesday onwards.. surely?? Nope. Not even Sunday's omnibus. A-Z listing and scroll through, they're all there.
Not right.
|
|
|
06-07-2010, 00:06
|
#88
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West London
Services: V.I.P
Posts: 1,271
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
I noticed it doesn't pick up part of a word, I was trying entour the other night to see if it found entourage and it would not, so probably the same thing for Eastenders and east
|
|
|
06-07-2010, 14:46
|
#89
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Apr 2008
Services: V6 with Maxit, Sky Sports HD, TNT Sports, Sky Cinema. 250Mb broadband, Talk Anytime.
Posts: 645
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous
I noticed it doesn't pick up part of a word, I was trying entour the other night to see if it found entourage and it would not, so probably the same thing for Eastenders and east
|
Good suggestion well presented, unfortunately no difference. They're all there in A-Z, but searching for "Eastenders", "Eastend", "East" or "Eastender" returns diddly squat.
|
|
|
06-07-2010, 14:55
|
#90
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
There are some known listing issues that should be fixed soon.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:37.
|