Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 18:07   #76
BenMcr
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

I think whatever you type in will search the whole thing. So both Title and Genre

For instance I've just typed in 'Comedy' and it's brought up both things with Comedy in the title and things like 'Frasier'
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2010, 09:28   #77
BikeNutt
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 67
BikeNutt is on a distinguished roadBikeNutt is on a distinguished road
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I think whatever you type in will search the whole thing. So both Title and Genre

For instance I've just typed in 'Comedy' and it's brought up both things with Comedy in the title and things like 'Frasier'
Isn't that because Frasier is on 'Comedy' Central rather than because of the genre though?
BikeNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:39   #78
BenMcr
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

It also brought up from the TV Guide 'Family Guy' which is showing on FX and in Catch up TV 'Mongrels' on BBC HD
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:59   #79
gadge
Inactive
 
gadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Newcastle Staffordshire(Bromley)
Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
Posts: 1,742
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

We dont sub to movies but put a search in for batman returns which is on in a while and it didnt come up just golmaal returns which i guess is pay per view.
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:47   #80
mr.munky
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
mr.munky will become famous soon enoughmr.munky will become famous soon enoughmr.munky will become famous soon enough
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
We dont sub to movies but put a search in for batman returns which is on in a while and it didnt come up just golmaal returns which i guess is pay per view.
If you're not subscribed to a channel its programmes are knocked out of the searchable list for the tv guide search (at the moment, anyway).
mr.munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:16   #81
Felim_Doyle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Age: 62
Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Posts: 897
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.munky View Post
Red/Green as PgUp/PgDn are standard elsewhere - TV Guide & other On Demand listings screens, for example. It would be nice to use the actual PgUp/PgDn buttons, I agree, but not all RC units have these. The difficulty is coming up with a standard which works for all boxes and all remotes; given the very large number of possible combinations, in practice this becomes rather difficult. Your focus-sensitive blue button idea sounds rather good, actually - very useful feedback. I'll take that one away, thank you.
I appreciate that button functionality has to cater for all RCs out there although I am surprised that there are some (perhaps not that many?) that do not have PgUp/PgDn (how do those people live? ).

My RC keyboard is one of those remotes and I think it should be supported by the search as it's the very sort of application that the keyboards were intended for.

The context-sensitivity should not apply only to Blue but to Red, Green and Yellow too (or we'll need more coloured buttons! ).
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:29   #82
BikeNutt
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 67
BikeNutt is on a distinguished roadBikeNutt is on a distinguished road
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It also brought up from the TV Guide 'Family Guy' which is showing on FX and in Catch up TV 'Mongrels' on BBC HD
Ah, that's good.
BikeNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:31   #83
Felim_Doyle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Age: 62
Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Posts: 897
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Wink Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
....agree about the teething problems.

This new search feature has landed in my area so I thought I'd give it a quick spin.

When into it, with the blue "more like this" button at the bottom of the page. There were already four selections of programmes there so I pressed the blue "more like this" button on the Scottish parliament programme hoping to get more of the same. (Not sure why I selected Scottish parliament, perhaps I just wanted to see what those Scots were wasting our taxpayers money on... ). I digress.

But instead of getting more Scotch Parliament action, one of the options was Jeremy Kyle!

Now, I know the Scots are a rough bunch but they're not as bad as that total plonker...

I've just given it one last try, so I pressed the magic blue button on Homes Under The Hammer, an easy subject to find similar stuff, one would think. This is what I got:

Indian Hill Railways
Animal Park
A Century Of Fatherhood
Crop To Shop
Gardener's World
Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives

At least when I'm bored, I've got a new toy to play with now. I guess Gardener's World is related to stuff about homes, but Parallel Worlds??
From an episode of King of Queens ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence Olchin
"Oh my God! TiVo thinks I'm gay!"
... it's apparent that the underlying software performs some kind of profiling based on your choice of programming.

Soon you'll be getting seeds and tickets to steam rallies in the post!
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 13:13   #84
BenMcr
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
From an episode of King of Queens ... ... it's apparent that the underlying software performs some kind of profiling based on your choice of programming.

Soon you'll be getting seeds and tickets to steam rallies in the post!
This isn't the TiVo software so as far as I'm aware it currently won't build a profile on your viewing habits
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 13:29   #85
joglynne
Born again teenager.
 
joglynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,922
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

I like the fact that I can record any program that I find as a result of playing around in the search/TV guide area and that I still have access to the information option.

I know , I know, simple things but they appeal to me.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 14:36   #86
Felim_Doyle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Age: 62
Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Posts: 897
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Wink Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
This isn't the TiVo software so as far as I'm aware it currently won't build a profile on your viewing habits
I didn't think it was the TiVo software just yet but it's a sign of things to come. Soon the box will be telling you what to watch and when to eat!

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I like the fact that I can record any program that I find as a result of playing around in the search/TV guide area and that I still have access to the information option.

I know , I know, simple things but they appeal to me.
Sure a ball o' twine would keep you amused for hours.
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 20:46   #87
japitts
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Services: V6 with Maxit, Sky Sports HD, TNT Sports, Sky Cinema. 250Mb broadband, Talk Anytime.
Posts: 645
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

It certainly sounds like the search can be quite clever when it wants to be, and I'm impressed with the interface.

But.. I've just searched for "east" - it should pick up any episodes of Eastenders from last Tuesday onwards.. surely?? Nope. Not even Sunday's omnibus. A-Z listing and scroll through, they're all there.

Not right.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 00:06   #88
zantarous
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West London
Services: V.I.P
Posts: 1,271
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

I noticed it doesn't pick up part of a word, I was trying entour the other night to see if it found entourage and it would not, so probably the same thing for Eastenders and east
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:46   #89
japitts
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Services: V6 with Maxit, Sky Sports HD, TNT Sports, Sky Cinema. 250Mb broadband, Talk Anytime.
Posts: 645
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I noticed it doesn't pick up part of a word, I was trying entour the other night to see if it found entourage and it would not, so probably the same thing for Eastenders and east
Good suggestion well presented, unfortunately no difference. They're all there in A-Z, but searching for "Eastenders", "Eastend", "East" or "Eastender" returns diddly squat.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:55   #90
BenMcr
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

There are some known listing issues that should be fixed soon.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:50.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum