04-04-2009, 18:05
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MOTHERWELL
Age: 64
Services: Tivo . Virgin 200 tvL. Virgin Landline, Sky HD variety pack movies and sport.
Posts: 323
|
Re: speeling ??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocemp
You seem to have mistaken that I have quoted you when adding a reply to rogermevans 
|
oh that was a mistake mate meant to press reply , no offence intended.
|
|
|
04-04-2009, 18:08
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: speeling ??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke
'Until' or 'till'
|
it's 'til - 1 l, a till is something used in a shop
|
|
|
04-04-2009, 18:23
|
#18
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: speeling?
From Chambers..
Quote:
until prep 1 up to the time of • worked until 8. 2 up to the time of reaching (a place); as far as • slept until Paris. 3 with negatives before • not until Wednesday. conj 1 up to the time that • He waited until she emerged with the money. 2 with negatives before • not until I say so.
ETYMOLOGY: 13c as untille; see till1.
till1 prep up to the time of • wait till tomorrow. conj up to the time when • go on till you reach the station. See also until.
ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon til.
|
That 13 c spelling shows how much the language has changed..
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
04-04-2009, 19:23
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 562
|
Re: speeling ??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M
it's 'til - 1 l, a till is something used in a shop 
|
Wrong!
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/till
...but why, when it's 'until'?
|
|
|
04-04-2009, 20:23
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Age: 59
Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
Posts: 742
|
Re: speeling?
surely the question should be 'speeling' or 'spelling'
|
|
|
04-04-2009, 20:36
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: speeling ??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke
|
Yeah I've just looked it up, apparently either is correct, I was only taught 'til at school, it's a shortened form of "until" but till is a completely separate and correct word apparently
|
|
|
04-04-2009, 22:02
|
#22
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: speeling?
Yet again I'm the Invisible Woman..
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
04-04-2009, 22:28
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: speeling?
Sorry Maggy I missed your post
|
|
|
05-04-2009, 10:03
|
#24
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,922
|
Re: speeling?
< cough >. I'm even more invisible. #10
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
05-04-2009, 10:24
|
#25
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: speeling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne
< cough >. I'm even more invisible. #10

|
Mrs and Mrs Invisible.We should start a club.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
05-04-2009, 12:40
|
#26
|
|
RIP Tigger - 13 years?!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bolton
Age: 60
Services: BT Superfast Broadband
Posts: 1,856
|
Re: speeling?
My General Rule of English Spelling:
For words whose pronunciation is different from the spelling, if it looks wrong it's right, and vice versa. 
FYI, I got an A for my AEB English ('O' Level equivalent, but harder), and consider myself an excellent speller (if there is such a word!). This is in spite of 5 years of pretty much continual warnings that if my handwriting didn't improve before the exam, my paper would be thrown in the bin. The general opinion of it was that it looked like the trail of a spider with too many legs that'd fallen into an inkwell and wandered over the page after drinking far too much of whatever spiders drink on a night out.
It didn't improve. It couldn't (and hasn't in the 30+ years since). I tried everything, I really did. I still got an A. Go figure. 
__________________
"People tend to confuse the words 'new' and 'improved'."
- Agent Phil Coulson, S.H.I.E.L.D.
WINDOWS 11/UK 'GOVERNMENT', ANYONE?!
|
|
|
05-04-2009, 13:20
|
#27
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,221
|
Re: speeling?
One we have fun with at work ;
enrol or enroll
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
05-04-2009, 13:25
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 562
|
Re: speeling?
dispatch or despatch?
|
|
|
05-04-2009, 15:07
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,509
|
Re: speeling?
any ideas on insitue ( as in still in place )
|
|
|
05-04-2009, 15:11
|
#30
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,396
|
Re: speeling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke
dispatch or despatch?
|
Both are correct
The other one that I like
Material / Materiel
The later being ued for millitary hardware.
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:06.
|