Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
03-04-2009, 08:32
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,103
|
Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
The mobile phone made its first appearance 36 years ago today.
Used by the inventor in New York, he phoned a colleague on his 12 inch long Motorola. It had a life of 35 minutes and took 10 hours to charge.
Big change today, mine does the washing up for me sometimes!
I was once one of those who said I will never need one, they are for posers!
Now I have 2, one personal and one for work, and about 6 in lurking around in drawers.
We just went on holiday, and I chose not to take it, good move as well for me.
Could you manage without yours, or are you hooked on it like my husband is to his?
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 15:56
|
#2
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
I wish the stupid things had never been invented and the person who decided to put little speakers in them so that school kids could annoy a whole bus with their crap tinny music should be banned from ever inventing anything ever again.
We rely on this technology far too much. People never say hello in the street becuase they are on their phones.
Can't we spend time without always being reachable, time to relax a bit.
And don't get me started on phone masts...... They need all knocking down too!
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 16:05
|
#3
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,181
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy7
It had a life of 35 minutes and took 10 hours to charge.
|
So that's where Apple got the idea from then
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 16:08
|
#4
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,219
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
I remember I got my first one about 1996. I have about 3 spare ones knocking about at home now.
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 16:49
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,181
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
I remember I got my first one about 1996. I have about 3 spare ones knocking about at home now.
|
I think that's when I mine too, a Motorola d460 and was a company phone for when I managed my local Tandy store. For £35 it gave me....15 free minutes a month
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 17:49
|
#6
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
My first provider was cellnet
|
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 18:06
|
#7
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
My first was the imaginatively named 'Nokia Orange' handset, which I bought in late 1995. I've had several since, some mine, some my employer's, but I've only ever been on Orange. Now there's loyalty for you ...
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 18:07
|
#8
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
I still miss my startac.
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 20:40
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
My first phone was a philips Savvy on U network which I bought In 1997/98 Not sure which. U was an offshoot of bt cellnet, same network etc but calls cost 1p more per minute and texts cost half. That phone lasted me 4 years at which point I was given a Nokia 7110 Which is still alive today though that phone has been handed down to almost every member of my family at some point by now.
|
|
|
03-04-2009, 23:03
|
#10
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!
Not had much luck with mine..had two out of the four nicked...
I really miss my little Sagem.It was enamel blue and so small.It was like a Star Trek communicator...
I hope the tealeaf has still has the bum boils I cursed him with using my Nigerian witchdoctor beads.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:47.
|