Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 22:32   #31
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

whistleblower is the term of how I got it confirmed so cant provide you with proof sorry.

currently no 4 days waiting for BRAS profile increase.

DSL-Link Uptime : 3 days, 0:07:08
synch 5760kbit
BRAS speed 4500kbit

given the fuss cable customers have made about waiting 4 hours for shaping to end I am putting that into perspective with 3+ day waits for BRAS throttling to increase.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2007, 09:21   #32
Incomplete
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Bummer. My brother in law's MaxDSL follows his sync in virtually real time.
Incomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 14:39   #33
xspeedyx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

the joys of ADSL
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 19:05   #34
Incomplete
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Could be worse, could be paying £37 for 10Mbit and receving less than 2 at peak times as per a friend of mine.
Incomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 22:45   #35
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incomplete View Post
Could be worse, could be paying £37 for 10Mbit and receving less than 2 at peak times as per a friend of mine.
I have beaten that when I was stuck on a 250kbit BRAS for over 2 days, thats peak and off peak 250kbit on a up to 8meg product.

With your brother having real time BRAS updates I am confident he is not the norm as the design specs do say within 3 days for increases and within 75 mins for decreases. These specs havent changed since the launch of max dsl dispite the high number of fault reports based on stuck BRAS profiles..
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13   #36
Incomplete
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

I'm sure this thread was about DiN's line length not Chrysalis's dodgy DSL?

Sorry that your DSL is not great but obviously BT are doing something right having over 11 million connections...
Incomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 14:11   #37
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

That excuse is funny, we have 11 million we done something right

yeah they are the only broadband option for many people and all those free broadband offers from talk talk/sky didnt help much right?

From what I read in areas where cable and adsl both exist cable has higher penetration then BT retail. ADSL is very agressively priced and will get all the budget conscious customers, doesnt make it a good quality service. Telecoms is one of the few markets where established monopoly companies have to do very little to remain the large player due to the high entry costs and brand name loyalties.

My dsl was brought into it when you was going on how your bro's dsl was acting different to BTs specifications.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 15:57   #38
Incomplete
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Well no I didn't mention his line until page 3, you started complaining about your line from page 2 onwards. Not sure why you're using 'we' though, I'm not an employee of BT.

Cable penetration compared to BT retail is fine. Remember that you can't get ADSL with a non-BT phone line, and that cable offers broadband and bundles. Though I'm fairly sure that we weren't comparing DSL and cable either.

Sorry if me mentioning my brother in law's quick BRAS profile updates seems to offend you so much but that's the way his line is. Show me the SIN that says BRAS updates upwards can't happen this quickly if you wish.

I'll leave you to complain about BT in peace anyway. We're not the worst off, though not the best either here

The chap has his answers, it's unfortunate but not much that can be done.
Incomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 17:51   #39
>DiN<
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
>DiN< is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Everytime I Hit My Max Download Speed I Get Disconnected How Come?
>DiN< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 19:18   #40
dragon
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,898
dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by >DiN< View Post
Everytime I Hit My Max Download Speed I Get Disconnected How Come?
Disconnected how?

You mean the wireless drops or the DSL loses sync?

(I've been talking to him on MSN, so i know he had some wireless drop-outs earlier, hence why i asked the question.)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 19:21   #41
>DiN<
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
>DiN< is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Disconnected how?

You mean the wireless drops or the DSL loses sync?

(I've been talking to him on MSN, so i know he had some wireless drop-outs earlier, hence why i asked the question.)
Wireless drops, it disconnects and i have to connect again
>DiN< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 21:43   #42
dragon
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,898
dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by >DiN< View Post
Wireless drops, it disconnects and i have to connect again
Thought you'd sorted that one
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:50   #43
>DiN<
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
>DiN< is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Thought you'd sorted that one
Yeah thats a past problem that one is sorted, but now the case is when i download from Utorrent Or Azureus after 2 mintues download speed drops and the connection disconnects.
>DiN< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 21:58   #44
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incomplete View Post
Well no I didn't mention his line until page 3, you started complaining about your line from page 2 onwards. Not sure why you're using 'we' though, I'm not an employee of BT.

Cable penetration compared to BT retail is fine. Remember that you can't get ADSL with a non-BT phone line, and that cable offers broadband and bundles. Though I'm fairly sure that we weren't comparing DSL and cable either.

Sorry if me mentioning my brother in law's quick BRAS profile updates seems to offend you so much but that's the way his line is. Show me the SIN that says BRAS updates upwards can't happen this quickly if you wish.

I'll leave you to complain about BT in peace anyway. We're not the worst off, though not the best either here

The chap has his answers, it's unfortunate but not much that can be done.
I am posting replies to your posts because I feel you are purposely trying to make things seem better then what they are, someone who has never gone into ADSL before reading your posts can make mistakes thinking BRAS profiles update almost live and that loop loss is only 10db per km. Thus making them more likely to move from cable to adsl. I made a mistake myself when thinking I would get a decent service based on my straight line distance and I try to stop others making the same mistakes, dispite what you think I am not pro cable and hate BT I do put VM down when I feel its deserved and this may shock you I have reccomended adsl to various people.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:14   #45
dragon
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,898
dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: 1.60KM From Exchnage Only 4.8MB Connection Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I am posting replies to your posts because I feel you are purposely trying to make things seem better then what they are, someone who has never gone into ADSL before reading your posts can make mistakes thinking BRAS profiles update almost live and that loop loss is only 10db per km. Thus making them more likely to move from cable to adsl. I made a mistake myself when thinking I would get a decent service based on my straight line distance and I try to stop others making the same mistakes, dispite what you think I am not pro cable and hate BT I do put VM down when I feel its deserved and this may shock you I have reccomended adsl to various people.
My line is under 1km here's my particular stats
Code:
	
	Statistics 	     Downstream        Upstream 	
	Line Rate 	    8128 Kbps 	        448 Kbps 	
	Noise Margin 	   10.0 dB 	        26.0 dB 	
	Line Attenuation  10.0 dB              6.0 dB 	
	Output Power 	 13.8 dBm 	     11.9 dBm
When i first got Adsl I got a sync speed of 7616, but then i found that was because someone had put interleaving set to ON, had it taken off and my sync speed went up.

Although 10db per 10km isn't correct there's many more factors that can affect loop loss like the quality of the cabling, Number of joints, condition of the joints.etc, The weather.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum