front row movies recordable? or not :(
11-08-2004, 17:06
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: poole, Dorset
Age: 55
Services: ntl broadband 2mb
sports and movies collection
& virgin mobile user
Posts: 123
|
front row movies recordable? or not :(
Anyone have any idea's if front row movies are recordable etc??
I tried last night with spy kids 3 but it did not work however a friend tried and he said it came out ok good quality taping so i'm lost i have it set up as below..
stb to switching box for several scarts (tv, video, dvd player)
and anabled to say send stb picture from switching box to video to tape but front row did not work :( i have the scart lead in the stb plugged into tv socket would putting it in video socket make any difference and would signal rgb or composite make difference?
any help welcome thanks
simon
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 17:13
|
#2
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 17:16
|
#3
|
|
Guest
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
|
must be digital - we don't get Front Row on analogue, any more.
|
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 17:19
|
#4
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by homealone
must be digital - we don't get Front Row on analogue, any more. 
|
shows how long i aint been with ntl dont it
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 17:27
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: UK
Age: 49
Posts: 136
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
You can record them. The problem is most of them have macrovision encoded in them, which messes with the VCR's tracking control. Its a copy protection system.
You can get around this by using some RGB convertors which strip macrovision, or using a really really old VCR with manual tracking.
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 17:29
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Scotland
Age: 51
Posts: 1,028
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
Think you can with those integrated video and tv's aswell.
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 17:48
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Croydon
Age: 40
Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Posts: 1,310
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
In fact most of the movies are not encripted with Macrovision protection anymore. Only certain movie studios must ask for this to be on and the rest can be recorded fine. I used to recieve this information from Front Row but this is no longer available. If I remember correctly Disney was once such studio who's films had this. As Spy Kids was made by Miramax (part of Disnsey) that could explain why you had inteference when you tried to record. But its strange as I got a recording no problem
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 18:39
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: poole, Dorset
Age: 55
Services: ntl broadband 2mb
sports and movies collection
& virgin mobile user
Posts: 123
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
thanks for all your comments most helpful think best option is to buy it next week on dvd (hear it comes with 3d glasses lol)
cheers anyway and yes i was on about digital sorry
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 20:36
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
Spy Kids 3 isn't Macrovision-protected, so that's not the problem. I'd suggest checking the wiring and that you've got the right input selected.
|
|
|
15-08-2004, 07:24
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
I used to be able to record the films but ever since I've got my new STB it doesn't seem to work anymore. It could just be the films I've tried though.
|
|
|
15-08-2004, 09:41
|
#11
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by j4y3m
I used to be able to record the films but ever since I've got my new STB it doesn't seem to work anymore. It could just be the films I've tried though.
|
As stated above, Macrovision-protected films are few and far between. In what way doesn't it work? Can you record normal TV ok?
|
|
|
17-08-2004, 18:03
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: UK
Age: 49
Posts: 136
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
Odd, I thought nearly every film had macrovision. All films on dvd's do I'm sure. The last time I tried it was on From Dusk Till Dawn 3 (or some other vampire flick) and it was macrovision protected.
|
|
|
18-08-2004, 11:27
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by spiderplant
As stated above, Macrovision-protected films are few and far between. In what way doesn't it work? Can you record normal TV ok?
|
Yeah normal TV is okay, The only movie I've tried to tape from Front Row so far has been The League of Extroadinary Gentlemen and that didn't work but I'll see next time I watch a movie on there.
|
|
|
19-08-2004, 17:41
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 62
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
I thought all PPV films were Macrovision protected until I read this.
To test this, I tried recording on VHS The Italian Job (the 2003 remake) from Front Row the other day, however it definitely had Macrovision protection which messed up the recording of the film as intended.
As I understand it Macrovision protection works better on some equipment to others, and possibly even the combination of TV & video can make a difference. Some older VCR's are definitely meant to be immune.
I also have been told that it's possible to buy SCART lead signal boosters (for connection from VCR to VCR), which can counter the Macrovision coding. I guess they could also be used on the cablebox to VCR connection.
|
|
|
19-08-2004, 18:19
|
#15
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,378
|
Re: front row movies recordable? or not :(
I have always been under the impression that it was a waste of time to record from front row because of this protection.I thought was the same for all PPV.
Incog.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:22.
|