02-08-2004, 20:54
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 477
|
Cabs Left Open?!
I was wondering why there is a large number of CABs not closed properly after they have been opened by installation crews in Bromley.
The number of the cabs where only one side of the cab was pushed in when the cab was locked (easy to leaver it open when one side is sticking out) is unbelievable.
We have the odd CAB broken into back home but round here almost every CAB is not closer proper.
Why is it?
|
|
|
02-08-2004, 20:56
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,604
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
broken cabs....lazy techs....kids opening them for a laugh...the list could go on and on...
|
|
|
02-08-2004, 21:01
|
#3
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by andrew_wallasey
I was wondering why there is a large number of CABs not closed properly after they have been opened by installation crews in Bromley.
The number of the cabs where only one side of the cab was pushed in when the cab was locked (easy to leaver it open when one side is sticking out) is unbelievable.
We have the odd CAB broken into back home but round here almost every CAB is not closer proper.
Why is it?
|
complain to ntl about it then , i would bearing in mind i could be left without a telephone service because of it , at the end of the day if nobody complains about it then ntl aint going to know about it are they , 1 free phone call may save a load of hassle for loads of ppl , just think of the carnage a dog could cause if it decided to take a p!ss in one of them poor rover with its bits and bobs fried  , it is your public duty to report it , go on report it , do it now , go on do it now
|
|
|
02-08-2004, 21:16
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Leeds - the dog house
Age: 49
Services: Email me for a current price list
Posts: 8,270
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
The engineers leave the cabinets open. They're called out to fix the damage. Plenty of work for the engineers - can't possibly reduce their numbers and make some of them redundant. All that overtime too - essential.
|
|
|
02-08-2004, 21:17
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 477
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
|
I don't live down here :P we don't have this problem in our area.
Obviously NTL technies round here were born in a barn, hence why they keep leaving the doors open them.
I'll ring them in the morning :P
|
|
|
07-08-2004, 16:45
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 62
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
I see this problem all over south London on a very regular basis. Maybe it's gonna take some vandal cutting all the exposed wires in the open cabinets to get the problem dealt with.
|
|
|
07-08-2004, 16:53
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: This Planet
Posts: 4,028
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by greencreeper
The engineers leave the cabinets open. They're called out to fix the damage. Plenty of work for the engineers - can't possibly reduce their numbers and make some of them redundant. All that overtime too - essential.

|
I know you are talking tongue in cheek, but contractors were always the worst. I know a few years ago there was a big fuss in the old area that I used to work in when employed by ntl. Installation contractors were breaking open the DP cabinets because they were not being supplied with keys.
If we then add on the impact of making the cabinet maintenence technicians redundant, making network technicians redundant and generally not replacing the ones that are left it leaves very few resources to go and close cabinets during their working day. When all the overstretched technicians are given 11+ faults to attend in 8 hours they unfortunately have to drive past any cabinets they pass that are open.
We always stopped (honestly) to close a cabinet if we saw one open, I even phoned one of the techs a while ago to let him know about an open cabinet and he pleaded with me not to call in about it because he had enough to do already!
|
|
|
07-08-2004, 17:57
|
#8
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by binary
I see this problem all over south London on a very regular basis. Maybe it's gonna take some vandal cutting all the exposed wires in the open cabinets to get the problem dealt with.
|
so ntl are ignoring the problem then ??????? , maybe just maybe they dont know about every open cab  , personally i would pump 10kv into the insides and see how charred the scutters who open them get
|
|
|
08-08-2004, 07:37
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Woolwich
Age: 60
Services: Virgin Media TV only : XL (3 V type STB (2 Samsung and 1 Pace))
Posts: 145
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Do what I do. If I see my CAB open, I close it myself with a 12 inch screwdriver.
|
|
|
11-08-2004, 13:09
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Reading
Posts: 299
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by COOPERMAN
Do what I do. If I see my CAB open, I close it myself with a 12 inch screwdriver.
|
You could even make it a full time job! Think of all the overtime and milage you could claim!
|
|
|
12-08-2004, 10:30
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 477
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
I was speaking to the guy who came out here and he said the problem in south london is there is 3 contractors and unless they come out like 2-3 hours after a job they wont know who didnt close the CAB. He also said there is problems with engineers having to break into CABs because of lost keys etc.
Steps do need to be made to stop this happening.
|
|
|
12-08-2004, 10:41
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: This Planet
Posts: 4,028
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by andrew_wallasey
I was speaking to the guy who came out here and he said the problem in south london is there is 3 contractors and unless they come out like 2-3 hours after a job they wont know who didnt close the CAB. He also said there is problems with engineers having to break into CABs because of lost keys etc.
Steps do need to be made to stop this happening.
|
exactly what I said about the key situation earlier in the thread, and getting keys from the stores I guess is more difficult as not many places have stores since it has all been centraliised to improve efficiency. Sorry I should of said "Cut corners"
|
|
|
12-08-2004, 10:52
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 477
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Escapee
exactly what I said about the key situation earlier in the thread, and getting keys from the stores I guess is more difficult as not many places have stores since it has all been centraliised to improve efficiency. Sorry I should of said "Cut corners"
|
Yer but surely they cant allow people to g round breaking the CABS open wiv brobars or whatever. I mean theyre not water tight them and all kidna of problems
|
|
|
12-08-2004, 11:31
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: This Planet
Posts: 4,028
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by andrew_wallasey
Yer but surely they cant allow people to g round breaking the CABS open wiv brobars or whatever. I mean theyre not water tight them and all kidna of problems 
|
Contractors were always the big problem breaking into the small DP cabinets, it would be a rare occassion to find a Mux or Nodal cabinet with the doors open.
ntl technicians used to be able to stop and close these whilst passing, but tight schedules/quota driven, and the lack of any focus on network maintenance means this is not happening so much these days.
All the cabinet maintenance technicians were made redundant in the ntl region that I used to work in. These guys had a busy schedule, and one of their jobs was the replacement of broken locks on cabinets.
Who is doing that job now?
|
|
|
12-08-2004, 11:42
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Leeds - the dog house
Age: 49
Services: Email me for a current price list
Posts: 8,270
|
Re: Cabs Left Open?!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Escapee
Contractors were always the big problem breaking into the small DP cabinets, it would be a rare occassion to find a Mux or Nodal cabinet with the doors open.
ntl technicians used to be able to stop and close these whilst passing, but tight schedules/quota driven, and the lack of any focus on network maintenance means this is not happening so much these days.
All the cabinet maintenance technicians were made redundant in the ntl region that I used to work in. These guys had a busy schedule, and one of their jobs was the replacement of broken locks on cabinets.
Who is doing that job now?
|
Just bad, short-sighted management - remove the people that should be doing the job, and the associated budget, and palm their duties off on other people and departments without increasing the resources available to those people/departments. It looks like cost cutting but in reality any money saved is lost in, for example, reduced customer satisfaction (broadband is down because some chav ripped the wiring out the cab) and higher maintenance costs (having to repair the damage to open cabs).
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36.
|