05-08-2004, 17:45
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Job update
I feel a bit of a prima donna and a fraud here, since it looks like I'm trying to get attention all the time. I'm not, but since I made such a big point of announcing I was leaving ntl: and thus also this site, it's right that I should post this. If it needs to be merged with something else or even deleted I'm ok with that.
Following on from successive rejections for alternative roles at ntl, since my existing job finishes at the end of the year, I announced I was leaving ntl for pastures new rather than wait til the bitter end. I also felt that I would need to leave this site as i wanted a fresh start away from anything ntl-related.
However, I gave it one last shot and applied for another role, which I'm delighted to say was successful. We've agreed terms and, though the actual start date is some indeterminable point in the future, the fact remains I won't be getting made redundant if I stay, and my future with ntl is now not in doubt.
In short, I'm staying on, both there and here I'm very grateful to my 'new' future management team for recognising certain things when others did not. As is the case with my current management team, they won't regret doing that.
Thanks also to everyone for their kind words of support as this has been a difficult time for me.
As a final point, I absolutely promise not to start any more threads on this subject! Amen!
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 17:48
|
#2
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Job update
Fantastic news for NTL and customers alike.
And for us.
Incog.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 17:51
|
#3
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: Job update
So this means you're staying on CF??
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 17:54
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: Job update
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Russ D
So this means you're staying on CF?? 
|
It certainly does. I have no need to go now. Not, I stress, that my going was in any way indicative of a problem with the site, just that I was heading for a full 'fresh start' and everything ntl related was going to go.
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 17:56
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: Job update
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Mark B
It certainly does. I have no need to go now. Not, I stress, that my going was in any way indicative of a problem with the site, just that I was heading for a full 'fresh start' and everything ntl related was going to go.
|
Thanks.
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 17:59
|
#6
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,245
|
Re: Job update
May we ask what your new role will be ?
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:00
|
#7
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
|
Re: Job update
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Mark B
It certainly does. I have no need to go now. Not, I stress, that my going was in any way indicative of a problem with the site, just that I was heading for a full 'fresh start' and everything ntl related was going to go.
|
chuffed to bits for you my mate , nice one
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:01
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: Job update
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Paul M
May we ask what your new role will be ?
|
And if he says it's to create a 'customer focussed forum' then may I be the first in the queue to kick him in the spuds
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:04
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: Job update
No one's happier than I am.
Despite the problems the company has faced, I hadn't realised how much I wanted to stay at ntl until I was faced with being forced to leave!
Better still, my new role will continue to allow me to link up with Bill C, plus many of my existing colleagues and team leaders are going into the same department. The department manager is also my old boss in my last role at ntl and I have a lot of respect for her. Couldn't be better!
Going to ntl in itself was a major 'fresh start' for me in 2001, and although it stuttered a little with redundancy after 4 months, I was redeployed (with a little less difficulty!) back then, so I'm pleased its happened again.
The matched salaries is a nice gesture too. They don't HAVE to do that, and it shows they value the work my colleagues and I have been doing.
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:09
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: Job update
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Paul M
May we ask what your new role will be ?
|
Certainly. As things stand, my new role will be in a department known as 'Mind the Gap'. Their actual duties have varied over time, but in simple terms they look after the 'gap' between the customer placing the order and the date of install. They pick up problems and fix them, often without the customer knowing. I also understand they do a lot of confirming of install dates. I do also have the option of Inbound Telesales, as it was the same interview for both (they fall under the same umbrella), but I think the one I've chosen best fits my skills.
I'm delighted with this and am looking forward to working with my new (and old!) colleagues.
I say 'as things stand' because although this job offer is 100% firm, I do have one more interview next week with another department, and I want to see what they have to offer as well.
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:11
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: Job update
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Russ D
And if he says it's to create a 'customer focussed forum' then may I be the first in the queue to kick him in the spuds 
|
I can promise you I *won't* be doing that!
Although, given my experience in online communities, if they asked me to, I could do a damned good job of it. But the politics of that situation would mean I'd be unduly restricted and wouldn't be able to do it how it should be done...as I think Frank could probably verify! It's a poisoned chalice!
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:12
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: Job update
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
|
Thanks.
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:28
|
#13
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Job update
I'm really chuffed for you, Mark - and also glad we will continue to have the pleasure of your company on here
|
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:48
|
#14
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: Job update
Well - I'm glad you're staying
|
|
|
05-08-2004, 18:54
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stafford
Age: 52
Services: Sky World
300k BB
NTL Phone
Posts: 2,399
|
Re: Job update
Cue new customers waiting to give Mark B a kick in the spuds if their installation gets delayed.
Congratulations, now all we need is Incog to come up with a new award "Drama Queen of the Month".
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55.
|