Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] ntl Redundancies

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

[Merged] ntl Redundancies
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2004, 18:23   #16
scrotnig
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
Mark, I'm sorry to hear you have been let down so badly by NTL and wonder if your involvement with this site is the reason why all your attempts to get redeployed have not succeeded.
I can categorically state that that is not the case.
My manager knows I operate on here. She sometimes reads it too. I have even used things I've done on here as evidence in reviews, interviews, etc. It's just been treated like any other form of customer contact, as long as I follow common sense rules.

As far as ntl are concerned I'm just assisting customers and solving problems, they don't care how I picked up the issues in the first place.

I realise this is going to disappoint the conspiracy theorists, but that's honestly the way it is.

The reasons I've not managed to get redeployed are mainly because I wasn't going to take a paycut, but also because I am utter rubbish at the roleplays that have to be done in these interviews. Because I already know the company, I tend to stray from the script and behave as if it's a real call, sadly that is not what is looked for as a rule.

I have numerous skills, I am probably one of the top few Harmony people in the region, but I'm afraid all my knowledge is going to go down the plughole.

A great shame, but I hold no grudge against ntl for it. It's their call, after all. I believe they will be slightly poorer for not having me, but nobody is indispensible...there are others like me who are staying.
scrotnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-07-2004, 18:25   #17
Colin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
Many of you will know that I am due to be made redundant by ntl in October.

Sadly, despite my attempts at getting redeployed into one of the many new jobs at the Manchester site, I learned recently that the last of these attempts has effectively been unsuccessful.

There is, therefore, no job for me at ntl for the future, so I will be leaving the company by the end of the August. At that time, I'll simultaneously be leaving this site, as I won't have anything to offer and I'd rather make a clean break.
Hey Mark. I did the same thing when i left ntl. I stopped using .com pretty much the day i left. I never really got involved with all the non-ntl related things that went on. After a while i came back on, and to honest now i don't pay attention to the ntl things on the site. If you do leave then i wish you all the luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 18:27   #18
scrotnig
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I am sorry that I really won't be carrying on here after I leave...I do need to make a clean break.

My knowledge and skills will actually be of little use if I don't have access to the ntl billing systems, so in fact I'd be next to useless.

However, I'm still here for at least another five weeks!
scrotnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 18:30   #19
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned
 
paulyoung666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I am sorry that I really won't be carrying on here after I leave...I do need to make a clean break.

My knowledge and skills will actually be of little use if I don't have access to the ntl billing systems, so in fact I'd be next to useless.

However, I'm still here for at least another five weeks!

nobody is next to useless

onwards and upwards , it is the only way
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 19:07   #20
Florence
Inactive
 
Florence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Posts: 4,004
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
Many of you will know that I am due to be made redundant by ntl in October.

Sadly, despite my attempts at getting redeployed into one of the many new jobs at the Manchester site, I learned recently that the last of these attempts has effectively been unsuccessful.

There is, therefore, no job for me at ntl for the future, so I will be leaving the company by the end of the August. At that time, I'll simultaneously be leaving this site, as I won't have anything to offer and I'd rather make a clean break.
Mark I am sorry to hear you was unsuccessful at being redeployed, I was always told as one door closes another door opens to a better future. If you do want to come to Manchester Vispa are looking for staff I am sure Martin would look at your CV.

Mark if you want me to send you the email addys of people who have ISPs around the country to try let me know over PM if you like.

Good luck Mark and you are a valued member of this community that has moved on from just ntl community.
We are a strong community that will servive beyond NTL so stay and let us be there for the days you feel low..

I hear telewest are employing staff in the midlands..
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 20:21   #21
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
 
Maggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE MARK.WE NEED YOU!!!

You could just take a sabbatical until you know where you stand jobwise and lifewise.

There will be a MarK B hole just waiting for you.

Love Incog.

PS.I hope you find a job at a pay rate more in keeping with your talents.You deserve it.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 03:21   #22
greencreeper
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Leeds - the dog house
Age: 49
Services: Email me for a current price list
Posts: 8,270
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
The reasons I've not managed to get redeployed are mainly because I wasn't going to take a paycut, but also because I am utter rubbish at the roleplays that have to be done in these interviews. Because I already know the company, I tend to stray from the script and behave as if it's a real call, sadly that is not what is looked for as a rule.
I can relate to that I regularly come across jobs that I know I can do but I also know I'll never be able to demonstrate that I can do the job. Recruitment has become too Americanised, with far too much value placed on aptitude tests, team exercises, and role playing. I remember a job interview with Norwich Union in which the guy running the interview had a piece of paper with his questions on - he couldn't ask me a question that wasn't on the bit of paper. Equal opportunities apparantly. More like madness to me. What happened to the days when an interview was little more than a chat with management so they developed a gut feel for your suitability.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
I have numerous skills, I am probably one of the top few Harmony people in the region, but I'm afraid all my knowledge is going to go down the plughole.
I'm one of the country's foremost experts in the LUSID system. Raise your hand if you've heard of it dear reader... no - didn't think so


Take a break and review things, see how you feel. I can understand your wanting to make a clean break.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 09:32   #23
huxleypiguk
Inactive
 
huxleypiguk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 259
huxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Hey I was one of the few trainers that knew Remedy, SABS and Onyx as well as the Nortel CVX platform, but I left and the company kept going ! (much as I beleived that it would crash and burn)

I, like many, left the employ of ntl: and I stil visit here and post here. But if you feel that you feel leaving this board will help you make a clean break then farewell, but remember many here have made their feelinsg clear on how much they want you to stay.

BTW, which region are you ????
huxleypiguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 11:55   #24
Escapee
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: This Planet
Posts: 4,028
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
I can relate to that I regularly come across jobs that I know I can do but I also know I'll never be able to demonstrate that I can do the job. Recruitment has become too Americanised, with far too much value placed on aptitude tests, team exercises, and role playing. I remember a job interview with Norwich Union in which the guy running the interview had a piece of paper with his questions on - he couldn't ask me a question that wasn't on the bit of paper. Equal opportunities apparantly. More like madness to me. What happened to the days when an interview was little more than a chat with management so they developed a gut feel for your suitability.




I'm one of the country's foremost experts in the LUSID system. Raise your hand if you've heard of it dear reader... no - didn't think so


Take a break and review things, see how you feel. I can understand your wanting to make a clean break.
I hate the way this country has become Americanised, and how key skills have been pushed to the back to concentrate on BS. I find it difficult when I have been involved in interviewing people and HR have made it clear which candidates they prefer, these people are usually the weakest technically and sometimes are the biggest BS merchants you will come across.
I am amazed that many HR people seem to have the attitude that finding suitable employees is a chore, and they just want to get the first person who answers the HR type questions correctly.


I went for a second interview with a company last week, but still not heard anything yet.

I went to a second interview last week and was interviewed by a couple of managers and their senior engineer, the senior engineer was the typical ex-army bulls****er. He tried to ask difficult questions and became unstuck when he was trying to be clever about things he obviously knew very little.
I had already told them I was not interested in the position before the interview, but they still wanted to chat about other positions that could be available. The ex-army guy had taken an instant dislike and possibly saw me as a threat so I had nothing to loose anyway.

Some of his questions were very funny, and he asked me things that he thought I wouldn't know because those skills were not listed on my CV.
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 13:38   #25
georgepomone
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: Tivo. VIP 120 Pack.
Posts: 291
georgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to all
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Hi Mark B and Escapee,
there was a little period of time when we all thought ntl may be changing to value the customer.This was of course very short lived.The number of good people and great talent this company has wasted is unbelieveable.I don't know what kind of a script ntl uses to deploy resourses but it's the wrong one.When the talents of good people like you are thrown away like this it is such a waste.
The reason for this in most companies now is all based on cost.Everything priced down.You will get employment but it will not use your talent because of the people running companies now.I'm a time served Electrician and I work in a cinema.No one wants to pay for your skills anymore.I'm an old wrinkly so it don't bother me but I feel so sorry for all the highly skilled young people who are losing jobs.
I wish all the luck in the world to the people in ntl who are and have lost their jobs.Hope you all get employment quickly.
Best Wishes, George.
georgepomone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 20:00   #26
dodgyboy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Manchester
Age: 49
Posts: 128
dodgyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
There is, therefore, no job for me at ntl for the future, so I will be leaving the company by the end of the August. At that time, I'll simultaneously be leaving this site, as I won't have anything to offer and I'd rather make a clean break.
Sorry to hear you're going Mark. I know that ntl are loosing 1 of their most customer focused people.
I hope you find a good job that pays you for the hard work you do!!

Do you remember when you came to see me and we just chatted about the CLT for ages when I should have been working?? (Ahhh the memories!!! I sound like an old man now )

Anyway... Goodluck in whatever you do

Ste
dodgyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 20:10   #27
Stuartbe
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 4,984
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Sorry to hear that you want to go ...... Ask yourself this question - WHY ?

Just becouse you dont work for NTL any more does not mean that you can not continue to be a valued member of the forum. There are many many issues that users need help that do not need core NTL network access to fix !

Please have a long hard think about leaving this comunity. Its not just about solving problems, its about helping each other and making life a little better to !

Please think about it - No-body thinks that you should go !
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 20:15   #28
Stuart
-
 
Stuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Mark, good luck. You will be missed..

Dodgy: welcome back to the forum..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 22:02   #29
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive
 
Tezcatlipoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Sorry to hear that, Mark. I hope you find something else soon.


As many others have said, I hope that you change your mind about leaving here. You'd still be a helpful & valued member, even though you would no longer be with ntl.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 22:05   #30
poolking
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stafford
Age: 52
Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
Posts: 2,399
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking
Re: Redundancy: Redeployment Unsuccessful

Sorry to take this off topic for a moment.

OMG another team member name change.
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:43.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum