26-06-2004, 08:21
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
|
Re: Coke/water
You should have no intake of sucrose in your diet...
And I can vouch for the coke in the trunks of state patrol cars... I've been to accident scenes (I'm a volunteer medic afterall  ) and I've seen the cops cleaning the road. We don't have to use coke to get it off our clothes though, because our gloves are disposable and our over-alls are cleaned using a special process.
Blood is actually very hard to rid of. Solid pieces or chunks of flesh can be picked up or swiped away, but the blood goes between the smaller parts of the asphalt. Water dilutes it and doesn't remove the "stain." When water is used it is usually to blow away any solid parts and as much of the blood as possible, but the stain will stick until you clean it out. In the ER and hospitals they have detergents made for that purpose, but on the highway coke is used: it is extremely cheap and it works wonders.
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 08:48
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
|
Re: Coke/water
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
drink when your body tells you to!
|
Excellent advise. I agree. I eat lots of fruits, which are rich in water, and therefore don't need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I barely get over 4. Your body knows best.
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 08:52
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,638
|
Re: Coke/water
I dont believe there is any proper scientific reason to tell people to drink 8 glasses a day. I've appended more info re water intoxifcation to my post.
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 10:57
|
#20
|
|
Guest
Location: Sutton in Ashfield.
Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Coke/water
Put some rice pudding in a pan, burn it to the bottom, let it dry then put some Coke in the pan enough to cover the burn then put it on the cooker watch the burn go. Coke is full of chemicals.
|
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 10:59
|
#21
|
|
Guest
Location: Sutton in Ashfield.
Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Coke/water
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
I dont believe there is any proper scientific reason to tell people to drink 8 glasses a day. I've appended more info re water intoxifcation to my post.
|
8 glasses a day will clean the liver, kidneys, bladder and all your water pipes  Drink 8 glasses a day and see the difference in your skin.
|
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 11:32
|
#22
|
|
Guest
Location: Belfast
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Coke/water
I had a very nasty UTI 4 or 5 years ago, and was told that the best cleaner for the Urinary Tract was Cranberry Juice. Since then I've druck 2 glasses of Cranberry juice a day, and never had a problem since.
|
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 11:37
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,638
|
Re: Coke/water
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Earl of Bronze
I had a very nasty UTI 4 or 5 years ago, and was told that the best cleaner for the Urinary Tract was Cranberry Juice. Since then I've druck 2 glasses of Cranberry juice a day, and never had a problem since.
|
mix ocean spray cranberry&raspberry juice 50/50 with orange juice. i drink this loads during the day.
cranberry is good for the bladder because it sticks to the inside of it making the bacteria unable to take a hold - the bacteria then gets washed out of the bladder.
http://www.sqeez.ie/lifestyle/life_cran.htm#no3
http://www.1stvitality.co.uk/az/cran..._cranberry.htm
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 11:47
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: surrey
Posts: 4,412
|
Re: Coke/water
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Earl of Bronze
I had a very nasty UTI 4 or 5 years ago, and was told that the best cleaner for the Urinary Tract was Cranberry Juice. Since then I've druck 2 glasses of Cranberry juice a day, and never had a problem since.
|
when i had glandular fever i got a bladder infection (as well as an inflamed liver) and the nurse advised me to drink cranberry juice. so i drink a glass or so when i can be bothered to go to the shops and get it
since ive been off work, i have drunk loads of water and actually feel healthier for it, although the trips to the loo do my head in. but for the first time in over a week i'm sat here drinking some cola.... typical
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 12:45
|
#25
|
|
Guest
Location: Belfast
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Coke/water
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Bex
when i had glandular fever i got a bladder infection (as well as an inflamed liver) and the nurse advised me to drink cranberry juice. so i drink a glass or so when i can be bothered to go to the shops and get it
since ive been off work, i have drunk loads of water and actually feel healthier for it, although the trips to the loo do my head in. but for the first time in over a week i'm sat here drinking some cola.... typical 
|
My brother had glandular fever several years ago, and he wasnt a happy chappie. I can tell you.
I'll never forget the flap I got into at the start of the UTI. I found a lump on my left Testicle, which was swolen and very painful. Turned out to be a cist, and a soft tissue infection, which decided to move into my bladder and then both kidney's. Ended up with 12 weeks of antibiotics, which where so strong I had to go back to bed for 2 hours after taking them I felt so ill.
Least I can laugh about the state I got myself into when I found the lump.
|
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 14:26
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,820
|
Re: Coke/water
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by danielf
True, I imagine Ketchup scores high on the acidity scale as well.
|
So does orange juice. Does this mean we should stop eating oranges?
I think like everything...the addage applies, everything in moderation.
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 15:15
|
#27
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Coke/water
I think the advice to drink 8 glasses of water a day is because some folk don't drink enough to flush their system.I think it should be a case of a person experimenting with what suits them best and then trying to remember to drink water rather than sugar and additive enriched liquids all the time.Coke is fine in moderation but not all the time.
I do know that the more water I can drink before I go to bed the better nights sleep I get and I'm less likely to be heavy headed the next day.
Incog.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 15:21
|
#28
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Reading
Age: 42
Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Posts: 6,546
|
Re: Coke/water
I drink about 3 litres of water a day, and some other drinks as well. From what other people have said here this is much more than people recommend... is this going to be bad for me!
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 15:28
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eglinton, Co. Derry
Posts: 7,640
|
Re: Coke/water
Taken from breakthechain.org (don't believe everything Americans and Canadians tell you)
Quote:
Here are the specifics:
In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
Consider this: if an accident is brutal enough to cause the road to become flooded with blood, youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d need a lot more than 2 milk jugsââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ worth of ANY liquid to rinse it away properly. And if itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s really as nail-dissolving as theyââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢d have us believe, then itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s a terrible ecological threat to the roadside flora and fauna. We should complain to the authorities.
You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
Tried it. Thought itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d be cool. Didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t work. Steak was well-marinated though. Shouldââ‚Ãâ €šÂ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve used it with that "Moist ham" recipe in number 7 down there, †˜cause that stuffââ‚ÆšÂ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s good.
To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.
Tried it. Thought itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d be cool. Didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t work.
To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
Tried it. Thought itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d be cool. It DID work. But then I tried it without the Coke and the Reynoldââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s wrap still did the job all on its own.
To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
We actually have a rusty old dead car battery in the garage. Tried it. Thought itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d be cool. It didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t work. But then I tried it with some Reynoldââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s wrap (no Coke) and it came off beautifully. Maybe we should be worried about the Reynoldââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s wrap here.
To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
Tried it. Thought itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d be cool. It didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t work.
To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
This does work. And itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s good. Also, turkey breast marinated in Sprite is delicious. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s true. Ah, vending machine cuisine.
To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
Tried the laundry one. It didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t work. Except the road haze one kinda did. But it left my windshield all sticky. Next time I used Windex, and that REALLY worked (who knew?). A lot better than sticky brown pop. Who are all these people trying this stuff on their windows and batteries and stuff? Or are they just claiming theyâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ve tried it in the hopes that some doofus like me will copy them? Well, I tried it. And it wasnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t a very good method of cleaning road haze. What I suffer in the name of scientific research.
For Your Info:
The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.
Coke actually has a pH of 3. Yes, Coke contains phosphoric acid. So do a lot of edible things. Beer also has a pH of 3. And vinegar. And you know whatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s TEN times more acidic than coke, being pH 2? Lemon juice.
As for the nail. Tried it. Thought itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d be cool. It didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t work.
To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.
Not true. And if it was, the lemon trucks would really be in trouble. Also, I used to work at McDonaldââ‚à ƒ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s, where we had boxed concentrate that spilled sometimes. It was not acidic to the skin. At least not any more than beer. Also, the concentrate comes in plastic bags stored in cardboard boxes. Violently powerful acids aren't usually packaged in soft, thin, plastic & paper containers.
The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!
Oh, please! Maybe they should buy some Reynoldââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s Wrap though, †˜cause that stuff kicks ass.
|
And taken from hoaxinfo.com
Quote:
There are two separate e-mail messages that have been merged into one. The first is about the need to drink water and the second is the dangers of Coke.
To deal with the Coke contention I must say that it is a little hard to swallow all the enumerated "facts" tossed at you in this one.
The e-mail states that many Highway Patrol cars carry Coke to "wash the blood off the highway". I couldn't find one shred of evidence that any Highway Patrol anywhere uses Coke for this purpose. If this works at all is probably due to the carbonation of the drink (in essence, it has scrubby bubbles). Club Soda would be a cheaper and better choice since it doesn't have a high sugar content. Ditto for Coke as laundry cleaner.
Although any carbonated beverage can help remove tarnish (oxidation) including rust. That is because carbon dioxide when under pressure becomes soluble in water and the process produces carbonic acid. Carbonic acid aids in "reduction" which is the opposite of oxidation. Essentially, it reverses the oxidation reaction. Phosphoric acid can aid in this chemical reaction too, and is why Coke can be used for this purpose.
However, I might add that Coke is not that good at removing corrosion from battery terminals as that corrosion is acidic and baking soda and water (a base) works far better. Perhaps we need a baking soda e-mail warning.
If you drop a nail in Coke for four days as the e-mail says, trust me on this, you'll still have a (very sticky) nail after 4 days. Concentrated phosphoric acid may be able to dissolve a nail in that amount of time, but Coke has too little phosphoric acid to do that in four days. Ditto, a T-Bone steak which will be soggy, and possibly tenderized, but not dissolved.
Nor could I find evidence that Coke drivers use Coke to "clean their engines over the last 20 years". Ask yourself, why would you want to put any fluid that has a high sugar content on your engine. Once the fluid evaporates all you'll have is a sticky residue that burns and creates carbon on the engine surface.
There is little doubt Coke is acidic. I won't even argue the PH value given in the e-mail. But since a lemon has a PH of 2.2 and Coke has a PH of around 2.5 to 3.0 most lemons are even more acidic than Coke. Even grapes are highly acidic, but does that mean they are highly dangerous for human consumption. I might add that compared to stomach acid which a PH of about 1.4, and contains hydrochloric acid, Coke is definitely a weaker acid than what is in our stomach on a daily basis. Further, the carbon dioxide in Coke reacts with stomach acid to actually reduce it, so it might explain how carbonated beverages can help your stomach feel more settled.
Citrus Cleaners have been touted for years as some of the best all-purpose cleaners. Does that mean that we should not eat another orange, lemon, or grapefruit because the citric acid can be used to clean our toilet bowl?
Number 7 below has me the most puzzled. If you were trying to warn off all users of Coke because it does all these bad things, then why would you put a Coke recipe in for making a great gravy for ham? Perhaps you can take the aluminum foil you wrapped the ham in and clean your trailer hitch. What do you think?
This is just a scare mail message that needs to go away. Do your part: Delete it
|
http://www.joshmadison.com/misc/projects/coke_nail/
http://www.alltooflat.com/pranks/myths/teeth/
http://www2.coca-cola.com/contactus/...ors/index.html
The Pennsylvanian state trooper I asked about the whole blood/coke thing also confirmed it as a load of crap.
|
|
|
26-06-2004, 15:38
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: I am house...
Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Posts: 2,284
|
Re: Coke/water
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
I drink about 3 litres of water a day, and some other drinks as well. From what other people have said here this is much more than people recommend... is this going to be bad for me! 
|
All the golf books (I play!) suggest that if you're having more than 2 litres to eat some crackers as well (increase the sodium levels in your system).
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32.
|