Someone tell me how to make tea please
16-06-2004, 21:12
|
#76
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by cookie 365
<snip>
Because dumping big globules of fat in your tea is disgusting, that's why!
|
- that was the only bit I disagreed with, 'full fat' milk is less than 5% fat ( usually less than 4%)
- but aside from that, personally, I much prefer 'Indian style' tea with a dash of skimmed milk - it just takes the edge off the tannin, without adding fat - lol
- the rest of the post was spot on
|
|
|
|
16-06-2004, 21:57
|
#77
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,378
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Oh we are not going to start the great milk or no milk in tea debate are we?Because IF we are I shall be moving on.
Drink it how you like-all the rules folk have come up with over the years make me laugh especially as I've tried making it all ways and found that it doesn't actually affect the taste.
Make it how you like-if you are the one making it you are entitled to make it your own way.Anyone doesn't like it can make their own,ungrateful wretches .
The only thing I insist on is drinking tea out of bone china but that's just a foible of mine not a RULE.
Incog.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
16-06-2004, 22:15
|
#78
|
|
In the corner, sulking.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Shaw, Oldham, Lancashire.
Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
Posts: 8,041
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by cookie_365
How to make tea:
1. Live in the right place. The best locations in the UK for beautiful, soft, tasty water are North Yorkshire, parts of Cornwall, and West Wales. The only problem with these places are the fact that you'll be in Yorkshire, Cornwall, or Wales
|
just to correct you, some of the softest water in the country can be found in the Lancashire/Cumbria region.  My brother lives in Cornwall and the water there is awful.
And even though I have to grit my teeth when I say this, North Yorkshire  , Cornwall and Wales are some of the nicest parts of the country that you can see.
|
|
|
16-06-2004, 22:18
|
#79
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Oh we are not going to start the great milk or no milk in tea debate are we?Because IF we are I shall be moving on.  Incog.
|
"MOOOOOOOOOOOOO"ve on then thats what the last 70 odds post been about. Milk before or After
|
|
|
|
16-06-2004, 22:19
|
#80
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Oh we are not going to start the great milk or no milk in tea debate are we?Because IF we are I shall be moving on.
Drink it how you like-all the rules folk have come up with over the years make me laugh especially as I've tried making it all ways and found that it doesn't actually affect the taste.
Make it how you like-if you are the one making it you are entitled to make it your own way.Anyone doesn't like it can make their own,ungrateful wretches .
The only thing I insist on is drinking tea out of bone china but that's just a foible of mine not a RULE.
Incog.
|
please don't move on - we welcome your opinion
I disagree that, how you make it does not affect the taste, but concur with your second statement about personal choice - I tend to make the tea in our office, for example, - I know what you mean
Bone China is lighter than other ceramics - places less strain on your injury, makes sense
|
|
|
|
16-06-2004, 22:25
|
#81
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by homealone
Bone China is lighter than other ceramics - places less strain on your injury, makes sense 
|
Bone china is also thinner
|
|
|
|
16-06-2004, 22:29
|
#82
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Anyone seen peachey? This sounds like a thread he/she would have created..
I personally make tea by putting the following stuff in the cup: Bag, Water, Milk, Sugar/Sweetener. I don't think it tastes any better, I have just been brought up to do it that way.
As for coffee, I use the same order but put one heaped teaspoon of coffee in the mug instead of the tea. I did use both once (by mistake, when I put the coffee in I didn't notice the tea bag already in there), and the did taste horrible.
|
|
|
16-06-2004, 22:36
|
#83
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
oh my Cookie_365, You certainly have some big views on this tea controversy.
Were you dropped in a kettle as a child and boiled with a tea bag, thus starting your tea expert skills ? ;-)
What gets me is the fact they call it Yorkshire Tea !!!
Theres more chance of finding people on the moon than finding a field growing tea plants in Yorkshire.
Honestly !!!
|
|
|
17-06-2004, 08:30
|
#84
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: Cablevision
Posts: 8,305
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by scastle
As for coffee, I use the same order but put one heaped teaspoon of coffee in the mug instead of the tea. I did use both once (by mistake, when I put the coffee in I didn't notice the tea bag already in there), and the did taste horrible.
|
Important point you just made there.
Powder coffee, can actually taste OK. If you use a heaped teaspoon. Most people don't put enough coffee in anything. Scoop (the one you get attached to the side in offers (about a heaped tablespoon) per cup for a filter machine, a good 15-20mm in the bottom of an 8 cup french press or a decent amount of granuels.
|
|
|
17-06-2004, 09:01
|
#85
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,584
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
both points were loosely on topic, in that they involved making tea....
of course i wouldn't know anything abuot mushroom or banana skin tea, being a good boy
yeh, right...
|
Nor would I. Except to say that the hill behind the campus at University of Wales, Lampeter, is called 'Magic Mountain' for a very good reason.
|
|
|
17-06-2004, 09:25
|
#86
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Selly Oak, Birmingham
Age: 41
Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Posts: 3,214
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Halcyon
What gets me is the fact they call it Yorkshire Tea !!!
Theres more chance of finding people on the moon than finding a field growing tea plants in Yorkshire.
Honestly !!!
|
really?
yorkshire tea is still the best tea though. tastes about a million times better than PG chimp-tea, tetleys typoo etc etc
|
|
|
17-06-2004, 09:28
|
#87
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,584
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
really?
yorkshire tea is still the best tea though. tastes about a million times better than PG chimp-tea, tetleys typoo etc etc 
|
 We use Yorkshire Tea. If it's good enough for the National Trust, it's good enough for us (National Trust Tea Room Blend is Yorkshire Tea).
 Sadly as we live in steggy Hemel with its hard water and calcium encrusted kettles, we have to buy Yorkshire Tea Hard Water Blend, which is frankly an abomination.
 Further to earlier discussion about the best, softest water in the UK, can I point out that just about anywhere in Scotland you care to name has very soft water indeed. Something I am really looking forward to!
|
|
|
17-06-2004, 10:03
|
#88
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Selly Oak, Birmingham
Age: 41
Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Posts: 3,214
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by towny
 We use Yorkshire Tea. If it's good enough for the National Trust, it's good enough for us (National Trust Tea Room Blend is Yorkshire Tea).
 Sadly as we live in steggy Hemel with its hard water and calcium encrusted kettles, we have to buy Yorkshire Tea Hard Water Blend, which is frankly an abomination.
 Further to earlier discussion about the best, softest water in the UK, can I point out that just about anywhere in Scotland you care to name has very soft water indeed. Something I am really looking forward to!
|
well i have yorkshire water here, one of the best most nicest waters in the country apparently. perfect match for yorkshire tea
and as for the hard water, you could always buy a water softener? no more need for the manky hard water variety then
|
|
|
17-06-2004, 10:12
|
#89
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,584
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
well i have yorkshire water here, one of the best most nicest waters in the country apparently. perfect match for yorkshire tea
and as for the hard water, you could always buy a water softener? no more need for the manky hard water variety then 
|
Plumbed-in water softeners are not cheap! Not sure you're meant to drink the water that comes through them either, I think they are mainly designed to save your pipes from getting scaled up. We have a filter jug in the fridge for filling the kettle which makes a big difference, but it still isn't truly 'soft'.
|
|
|
17-06-2004, 10:25
|
#90
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Someone tell me how to make tea please
Nothing beats Volvic mineral water. Lovely !!!
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:59.
|