03-06-2004, 03:23
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Greenock
Posts: 3
|
downstream dropping off
Hi,
Been a lurker here for a while and had most of my probs cured by reading other peoples problems but I'm now stumped. Over the past couple of days whenever I'm downloading anything you can watch the speed drop down to nothing and then the whole system locks up. This is happening with bit torrent and emule and normal "save as..." downloads. I initially thought I had made a mess of my windows install so I wiped the whole thing at the atrt of the week but the problem persists. I am using the following
Windows XP Pro SP1 and all current updates
ZoneAlarm (Free version)
AVG Antivirus (Free Version)
NTL 600 k/b on a Motorola Surfboard 4100
This is the system I've been running for about 6 months now with no problems and suddenly it's all messed up. I used netstat to check this and it registered down to about 500bytes each way before the system locked.
I realise there may be a software problem but as this is happening before and after a fresh install I thought the broadband forums would be a good starting place. Any ideas are most welcome.
|
|
|
03-06-2004, 06:58
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Reading
Age: 42
Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Posts: 6,546
|
Re: downstream dropping off
are you using the usb or ethernet connection?
have you tried with zone alaram disabled? do you get the same problem?
|
|
|
03-06-2004, 13:29
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leamington Spa
Services: 152mb Broadband only
Posts: 143
|
Re: downstream dropping off
Same here mate,
I know that I have downgraded from 1mb to 600kb but I find that many downloads, from big name sites such as MS, or crap. Currently downloading a Nero update at 26mb which is coming in at 14.1kb a sec and has taken 14.9 mins so far with 58% of the download complete. This is getting to be very normal for me now in the Coventry Warwick area.
|
|
|
03-06-2004, 15:04
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Greenock
Posts: 3
|
Re: downstream dropping off
Discovered a similar thread to this in the internet section and most people seemed to think it was firewall related so I pulled zonealarm and installed sygate personal firewall instead and so far so good I'm running all 3 types of d/l concurrently and while it isn't on fire speed wise it's at least working.
|
|
|
03-06-2004, 15:14
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Reading
Age: 42
Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Posts: 6,546
|
Re: downstream dropping off
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by bcuk
Discovered a similar thread to this in the internet section and most people seemed to think it was firewall related so I pulled zonealarm and installed sygate personal firewall instead and so far so good I'm running all 3 types of d/l concurrently and while it isn't on fire speed wise it's at least working.
|
good stuff
have a rep for having the nonce to do a search of the forums... you would be suprised how few people do
MB
|
|
|
03-06-2004, 15:20
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stafford
Age: 52
Services: Sky World
300k BB
NTL Phone
Posts: 2,399
|
Re: downstream dropping off
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
good stuff
have a rep for having the nonce to do a search of the forums... you would be suprised how few people do
MB 
|
Erm m8, I'd edit the nonce bit.
|
|
|
03-06-2004, 15:42
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bracknell
Age: 56
Services: NTL Telephone
3M Broadband - CM
Sky TV
Posts: 1,246
|
Re: downstream dropping off
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by poolking
Erm m8, I'd edit the nonce bit. 
|
|
|
|
04-06-2004, 10:44
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
|
Re: downstream dropping off
just out of curiosity, are you using a nforce2 chipset and installed the latest drivers from nvidia? those 4.16 ethernet drivers can mess up the connection.
i had to drop back to older ethernet drivers, and it seems to of stopped the problems.
|
|
|
04-06-2004, 11:08
|
#9
|
|
Guest
|
Re: downstream dropping off
Have you tried using something like "Download Accelerator Plus"? It can be very useful for large downloads because it creates multiple links to the site (or mirrors) and gets the file in "chunks' meaning that even if one link is slow the others will take up the slack.
PS I think Monkey Breath meant "Nous" (ie intelligence), although when I first read I thought he was trying to say "for the nonce" (for the present time) but mis-typed, rather than using the word in its more modern use of a "nonsense crime". This has been a free English language lecture...!
|
|
|
|
04-06-2004, 11:27
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Coventry
Posts: 169
|
Re: downstream dropping off
If the upstream is saturated, downstream ack packets cant get through in time - which means a chop in download speed. It could be just the sources your downloading from thats causing this.
|
|
|
04-06-2004, 14:26
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
|
Re: downstream dropping off
well its not the drivers as ive tested them, me think its just ntl network, those upgrades theyve been messing with and still are.
when my connnection drops i have to disable then re-enable the network connection.
ntl support suggested it was the drivers or network adapter.
as the cable modem tested fine. oh well, shall soon see when they stop messing about.
|
|
|
04-06-2004, 15:50
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 481
|
Re: downstream dropping off
having similar problems here (manchester) speed while surfing is dreadful. Downloading stuff doesn't seem to be affected?
I was worried because I built a new P.C yesterday and thought maybe that would be the cause. Strangely enough it uses the nforce2 chipset and I'd updated the drivers as part of a microsoft upgrade. I've reinstalled the drivers that came with the Mobo but still no joy. Terrible surfing speeds. yet doing a speed test shows everything as being pretty good.
why would that be?
|
|
|
04-06-2004, 15:53
|
#13
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Reading
Age: 42
Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Posts: 6,546
|
Re: downstream dropping off
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo
having similar problems here (manchester) speed while surfing is dreadful. Downloading stuff doesn't seem to be affected?
I was worried because I built a new P.C yesterday and thought maybe that would be the cause. Strangely enough it uses the nforce2 chipset and I'd updated the drivers as part of a microsoft upgrade. I've reinstalled the drivers that came with the Mobo but still no joy. Terrible surfing speeds. yet doing a speed test shows everything as being pretty good.
why would that be?
|
try specifying a proxy server.
IE- tools -> internet options -> connections -> lan settings
firefox- tools -> options -> connection settings
there is a link to all the proxy servers somewhere on here... i will find it in a second.
MB
|
|
|
04-06-2004, 16:27
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 481
|
Re: downstream dropping off
There is something else I need to clarify. It's ok for me to just plug my cable modem into the ethernet socket and surf away? I already had a connection set up on another P.C so I don't need to install any software?
Thanks
|
|
|
04-06-2004, 16:48
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Reading
Age: 42
Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Posts: 6,546
|
Re: downstream dropping off
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo
There is something else I need to clarify. It's ok for me to just plug my cable modem into the ethernet socket and surf away? I already had a connection set up on another P.C so I don't need to install any software?
Thanks
|
yep... absolutely fine... just make sure that you turn the modem off for about a minute before switching pcs. You will only be able to connect one pc at a time to the modem unless you have a router or are subscribed to the xbox or ps2 service.
hth
MB
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:21.
|