Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Yay, I passed!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Yay, I passed!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2004, 04:31   #1
Jerrek
Inactive
 
Jerrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
Jerrek can only hope to improve
Yay, I passed!

By passing a special driving test this afternoon, I have finally passed all the requirements necessary to get a permit to drive an emergency services vehicle. Up to now I've been mainly the hands-on paramedic, but now I have expanded a bit and if need be I'm permitted to drive an ambulance. Might give me an occasional break from having to sit in the back telling people they're going to make it, and to remain calm, and to not move, and ... (it is actually a wee bit more involved than that... You wouldn't believe how messed up some people are when they are rushed to the hospital.) Not that I'm complaining... It is a very satisfying way, to me, of spending my time.

If you're bored Saturdays, why not sign up and volunteer? You learn lots, and meet lots of new people. Not to mention there are certain quirks... Such as being invited to parties and events you wouldn't usually have access to. The people around you will appreciate you helping them.
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2004, 07:16   #2
Ramrod
Inactive
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Yay, I passed!

Well done Jerrek, good for you!
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 07:22   #3
sonygeezer
Inactive
 
sonygeezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Back & Beyond
Posts: 80
sonygeezer is on a distinguished roadsonygeezer is on a distinguished road
Re: Yay, I passed!

Congratulations
sonygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 11:22   #4
punky
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Re: Yay, I passed!

Congratulations mate.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 11:29   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,181
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
If you're bored Saturdays, why not sign up and volunteer?
Yeah, sure thing, where's my nearest centre??

Seriously, well done. Think of the lives you will assist in saving
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 11:31   #6
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Baw deep in a munter
Age: 50
Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
Posts: 5,750
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
Re: Yay, I passed!

Nice 1 mate,

Whats your registration? I'll make sure i surf your wave on the way to work in the monring.

(Joke!)

Good Luck.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 11:54   #7
Xaccers
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Milling around Milton Keynes
Age: 49
Posts: 12,969
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Yay, I passed!

well done!

*makes note to never need an ambulance in cannuckland
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 12:28   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive
 
Tezcatlipoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Yay, I passed!

Well done, Jerrek!
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 12:56   #9
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Woking
Age: 56
Posts: 2,266
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
By passing a special driving test this afternoon, I have finally passed all the requirements necessary to get a permit to drive an emergency services vehicle. Up to now I've been mainly the hands-on paramedic, but now I have expanded a bit and if need be I'm permitted to drive an ambulance. Might give me an occasional break from having to sit in the back telling people they're going to make it, and to remain calm, and to not move, and ... (it is actually a wee bit more involved than that... You wouldn't believe how messed up some people are when they are rushed to the hospital.) Not that I'm complaining... It is a very satisfying way, to me, of spending my time.

If you're bored Saturdays, why not sign up and volunteer? You learn lots, and meet lots of new people. Not to mention there are certain quirks... Such as being invited to parties and events you wouldn't usually have access to. The people around you will appreciate you helping them.
Well done. I'm not sure you can do a volunteer role in an ambulance over here (Unless it's St. Johns, which is slightly different).
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 12:57   #10
Earl of Bronze
Guest
 
Location: Belfast
Posts: n/a
Re: Yay, I passed!

Congrats mate, having used the services of Paramedics 9 weeks ago its good to here you are getting ahead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 13:11   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble
Well done. I'm not sure you can do a volunteer role in an ambulance over here (Unless it's St. Johns, which is slightly different).
Nice one Jerrek.

Volunteering for the emergency services is a little different over here - you can volunteer for the police (completely unpaid) or the fire service (you have a day job but get called on as a 'retained' firefighter, which does attract pay), but as Charlie says, the nearest we have to a volunteer ambulance service is St John Ambulance. Organisers of major public events use them to provide on-site first aid cover, but they don't do any of the big rushing through the streets lifesaving stuff AFAIK.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 21:58   #12
Jerrek
Inactive
 
Jerrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
Jerrek can only hope to improve
Re: Yay, I passed!

I'm with St. John Ambulance. In Canada, they're not a real ambulance services, but they can be commissioned in a time of need, which happens rather frequently in this wonderful nation with socialized health-care.

I don't expect to be doing the driving. I mostly participate, as you said, at public and private events in which St. John have been asked to help out at. And I'm part of the campus response team at school. It is a very interesting job. Definitely very rewarding.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 22:11   #13
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Woking
Age: 56
Posts: 2,266
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
Whoa!!! Far too many pointy bits!!
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 22:37   #14
Flubflow
Inactive
 
Flubflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Teesside
Posts: 1,566
Flubflow has a bronzed appealFlubflow has a bronzed appeal
Flubflow has a bronzed appeal
Re: Yay, I passed!

Well done and all that and sorry to be negative now but I'd be a tad worried riding in the back of your ambulance with you driving.....
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...&page=4&pp=15&
Flubflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 22:46   #15
Jerrek
Inactive
 
Jerrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
Jerrek can only hope to improve
Re: Yay, I passed!

I've passed five courses, anything from high speed driving to 4x4 driving.

And you'd be too concerned about the knife in your chest to worry about my driving... :pp
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:54.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum