04-09-2013, 22:18
|
#1
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Slough
Posts: 29
|
TiVo Firmware
Are there still plans to change the middleware in the V HD boxes to TiVo?
|
|
|
04-09-2013, 22:20
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
There has been nothing announced, so I would say probably not
To be honest, I think it was planned when the cost of TiVo was significantly higher. Since the cost for the 500GB box dropped to pretty much the same as a V HD, it doesn't make much commercial sense to do any more.
|
|
|
04-09-2013, 22:25
|
#3
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Slough
Posts: 29
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
shame really, especially with the multiroom streaming capabilities of TiVo. But I suppose that it not exactly the open TV problem Sky had - how much longer is liberate contracted for?
|
|
|
04-09-2013, 22:49
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
There has been nothing announced, so I would say probably not
To be honest, I think it was planned when the cost of TiVo was significantly higher. Since the cost for the 500GB box dropped to pretty much the same as a V HD, it doesn't make much commercial sense to do any more.
|
Its a shame though really , multiroom streaming is the perfect product to allow those rooms with non PVR's the ability to watch recordings especially when you consider that the VHD is offered as part of VM's collections and a second TIVO is an additional expense.
|
|
|
05-09-2013, 04:45
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
I agree a second TiVo should be standard on premium or vip collections if they are pretty much the same cost.
|
|
|
05-09-2013, 07:54
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdeamon
how much longer is liberate contracted for?
|
Liberate went out of business years ago. Their software is now supported by Seachange, and will be for as long as necessary.
|
|
|
05-09-2013, 18:37
|
#7
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Plymouth
Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
Posts: 753
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac
I agree a second TiVo should be standard on premium or vip collections if they are pretty much the same cost.
|
Well said
|
|
|
05-09-2013, 20:09
|
#8
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: HALIFAX
Age: 50
Services: Maxi TV, Kids TV, Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, Netflix with ads,1 x Virgin 360 Box,3 x Virgin Stream Boxe
Posts: 362
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
Or TiVo Stream
__________________
Yeah Mr White....SCIENCE
|
|
|
06-09-2013, 05:55
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2010
Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Posts: 739
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
How about dropping VHD and replacing it with the TiVo Mini?
|
|
|
06-09-2013, 10:48
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stockport
Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Posts: 477
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
It is a shame if they have dropped this idea. I don't need (or want) a second pvr but would love to be able to stream stuff from the main TiVo downstairs. Hopefully Virgin will look at the TiVo Mini technology as a potential solution.
|
|
|
06-09-2013, 15:07
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begize
It is a shame if they have dropped this idea. I don't need (or want) a second pvr but would love to be able to stream stuff from the main TiVo downstairs. Hopefully Virgin will look at the TiVo Mini technology as a potential solution.
|
Multiroom streaming or whole home DVR as its more commonly called in the US was released for that exact reason , not everyone wants or needs more than one recordable box plus its more costly very often both in setup costs and ongoing monthly sub's. The only drawback with TIVO mini is that if you watch live TV it requires one of your DVR's tuners I believe.
|
|
|
06-09-2013, 19:13
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2010
Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Posts: 739
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
MM is right, at the moment the Mini requires one of your DVR Tuners at all times but TiVo are planning to add dynamic tuner allocation in near future.
|
|
|
07-09-2013, 06:42
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begize
It is a shame if they have dropped this idea. I don't need (or want) a second pvr but would love to be able to stream stuff from the main TiVo downstairs. Hopefully Virgin will look at the TiVo Mini technology as a potential solution.
|
The reason I like my V HD so much in the bedroom is because it is so quiet, I'm a really light sleeper and anything with an hard drive in that might kick in randomly during the night would be really annoying, it's for this reason that I would like the TiVo software on it.
P.s. I used to have the sa v drive in the bedroom and I had to turn it off at the wall before I went to sleep, it was like close encounters of the 3rd kind some nights.
|
|
|
07-09-2013, 11:23
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac
The reason I like my V HD so much in the bedroom is because it is so quiet, I'm a really light sleeper and anything with an hard drive in that might kick in randomly during the night would be really annoying, it's for this reason that I would like the TiVo software on it.
P.s. I used to have the sa v drive in the bedroom and I had to turn it off at the wall before I went to sleep, it was like close encounters of the 3rd kind some nights.
|
Tivo seems really quiet to me. Can't hear the one in the lounge or the bedroom.
And as the Hard Drive is continually recording, there is no 'kicking in' taking place.
|
|
|
08-09-2013, 19:25
|
#15
|
|
Media Watcher
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Essex
Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Posts: 2,416
|
Re: TiVo Firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdeamon
Are there still plans to change the middleware in the V HD boxes to TiVo?
|
Some time ago Berkett, the now ex Vm boss, did state that was VM's in intention, but nothing came of it. Since then VM's bosses and now the new Liberty team, have stated their intention to do away with standard boxes altogether and put the software in the cloud. Whether it actually happens, we'll have to wait and see.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:48.
|