23-08-2012, 13:34
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
|
Blocking issue
Hi,
I have a friend who uses/used Newzbin.es and Grabit/Usenet to download US TV shows.
Virgin have recently blocked the Newzbin site, but 'my friend' found a way to still access it using the Opera browser on turbo mode. Problem solved he thought.
However, when he downloaded the NZB file and tried to open it, Grabit failed to respond at all.
He tried changing to port in Grabit to 443 (from 563) but this made no difference.
Does the block mean all traffic from Usenet is denied as we thought it was just access to the Newzbin site itself?
More importantly, is there an easy way around this (without resorting to VPN or proxy, as these are a little above our understanding)? I'm hoping there will be some little tweak to Grabit that will resolve the issue.
Any help would be most appreciated as we're currently stuck halfway through the final season of Breaking Bad and need that episode 6...
Ta.
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 13:57
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Blocking issue
Usenet isn't blocked so probably an issue elsewhere.. Which servers is he using?
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 14:01
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
|
Re: Blocking issue
news.giganews.com
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 14:28
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Blocking issue
They'd be hundreds of people moaning if they blocked giganews.. Personally I use Astraweb every morning and don't have an issue..
Try the VM news server to make sure it's not a program/firewall fault and also check to see if giganews or the account has an issue
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 14:35
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
|
Re: Blocking issue
Not sure how to do those things to be honest. Thing is, it all worked fine until the Newzbin block, so the settings must all be correct. Unless they're blocking Usenet traffic. As you can probably tell, I have a rather limited understanding of how these things work...
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 19:58
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,588
|
Re: Blocking issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarco772
Hi,
I have a friend who uses/used Newzbin.es and Grabit/Usenet to download US TV shows.
Virgin have recently blocked the Newzbin site, but 'my friend' found a way to still access it using the Opera browser on turbo mode. Problem solved he thought.
However, when he downloaded the NZB file and tried to open it, Grabit failed to respond at all.
He tried changing to port in Grabit to 443 (from 563) but this made no difference.
Does the block mean all traffic from Usenet is denied as we thought it was just access to the Newzbin site itself?
More importantly, is there an easy way around this (without resorting to VPN or proxy, as these are a little above our understanding)? I'm hoping there will be some little tweak to Grabit that will resolve the issue.
Any help would be most appreciated as we're currently stuck halfway through the final season of Breaking Bad and need that episode 6...
Ta.
|
Just had a play. If I pass the newzbin post ID to SABnzbd, then the download fails (as it's trying to access Newzbin to retrieve data). If however, I 'download' the .NZB then open it with SABnzbd the download works OK. The same, I would imagine, would apply to Grabbit.
Hope this helps you (sorry your friend).
MODS - if this post breaks the rules (much discussed in the piratebay thread) please accept my apologies and feel free to delete.
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 20:07
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Blocking issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
MODS - if this post breaks the rules (much discussed in the piratebay thread) please accept my apologies and feel free to delete.
|
As long as you're not posting links to NZB's for copyrighted material or posting explicit instructions on how to get them then there's not an issue
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 20:10
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,588
|
Re: Blocking issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
As long as you're not posting links to NZB's for copyrighted material or posting explicit instructions on how to get them then there's not an issue
|
Good - didn't want to get my legs slapped
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 20:19
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Blocking issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
Good - didn't want to get my legs slapped
Cheers
Grim
|
Strange, most people want me to slap their legs!!!
@OP, get your friend to try to download manually (headers then manually mark something to download, does it queue the files and download them, does the NZB queue the files? What's the log saying as it fails on the NZB files? Try another news client (I've used Newsbin for over 10 years now)
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 09:50
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
|
Re: Blocking issue
Hello again. My friend, hereby known as "I", was shown the process of downloading using Newzbin/Grabit by a tech minded friend, so I only know one way to download the NZBs!
What I do, now via Opera on "turbo mode", is download the NZB file to my desktop and then double click on it to set Grabit running.
Only now Grabit doesn't respond (since the Newzbin block).
I would tell you what the log says, Kymmy, but I have no idea what that actually means let alone how to see it. :/
Grim, I download SABnzbd but when it opens on the Start Wizard in my Chrome browser and I try to click the "Start Wizard" button at the bottom, nothing happens! Sounds quite promising if I could actually get into it though...
I made the NZB associate with it during the setup and the NZB icon on the desktop has switched from Grabit to SABnzbd but, when I click on it, nothing happens!
It's all most frustrating! Thanks for the help though.
Mark
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 09:56
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Blocking issue
The newzbin block will only stop the website from being visible, it will in no way interfere with grabit communicating with giganews.. If NBZ files are not working there could only be four things wrong.
- The NBZ files are corrupting in some way (load one into a text editor as they are only XML)
- Grabit is misconfigured in some way (uninstall, reinstall and reconfigure)
- Something on the system (firewall..etc...) is blocking the ports (but you said other ports have been tried.. Have though you tried non-ssl ports? (119)
- His giganews account or the giganews service has an issue
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 10:17
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
|
Re: Blocking issue
Ahh, well it was the nature of the block I was wondering about! So, really, as long as I have the NZB sitting there then it should all download as usual regardless? Hmm...
Not sure how to do step one and, if I did, I wouldn't know what I was looking at!
I might try to reinstall Grabit though. I tried port 119 but to no avail!
Thanks
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 10:26
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Blocking issue
An example file format is available on the wiki page for the file type
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZB
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 10:35
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
|
Re: Blocking issue
Thanks, if I open up an NZB with Notepad++ then can I save the results and post them here for you to look at? I just Googled Text Editor and that was the first free program that came up!
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 10:46
|
#15
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: Blocking issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarco772
Hi,
I have a friend who uses/used Newzbin.es and Grabit/Usenet to download US TV shows.
Virgin have recently blocked the Newzbin site, but 'my friend' found a way to still access it using the Opera browser on turbo mode. Problem solved he thought.
However, when he downloaded the NZB file and tried to open it, Grabit failed to respond at all.
He tried changing to port in Grabit to 443 (from 563) but this made no difference.
Does the block mean all traffic from Usenet is denied as we thought it was just access to the Newzbin site itself?
More importantly, is there an easy way around this (without resorting to VPN or proxy, as these are a little above our understanding)? I'm hoping there will be some little tweak to Grabit that will resolve the issue.
Any help would be most appreciated as we're currently stuck halfway through the final season of Breaking Bad and need that episode 6...
Ta.
|
Newzbin has a software program you can use to download there NZB,s which will get around any blocking, However i can no longer tell you where you can get it as i don't have access to the site anymore, i dont trust the owners of that site and therefor tend to use NZBmatrix instead.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:34.
|