17-10-2010, 10:03
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Midlands
Services: VM L Broadband (10MB)
XL TV V+ HD Box
Off peak caller phone
HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK
Freeview
Posts: 600
|
Micro SD card advice?
Hi all,
I'm looking into getting a 16GB micro SD card for use in either my Nokia N95 or HTC Wildfire but wasn't sure about several things:
1) How can you be sure that one of the many on ebay or amazon for around £20 are genuine? Is it just a case of buying from a well known big seller in the UK?
2) How important really is the class of speed in a mobile phone? I've seen lots of class 2, some class 4, not sure about class 6 or above though. Is it worth the couple of quid extra to get a class 4 instead of 2?
3) Has anyone got any views on the different brands, e.g. Sandisk, Integral, Samsung, Kingston?
I was curious about the cheaper ones on ebay from Duracell wondering how good they might be? Good renowned brand for batteries maybe but unsure if that amazing for memory cards?
Any thoughts or advice much appreciated :o)
|
|
|
17-10-2010, 10:13
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Abertawe
Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Posts: 2,859
|
Re: Micro SD card advice?
I would buy from a well known retailer, it's worth it for the peace of mind. I've seen one case of a 8Gb card being only 2Gb in reality. I don't think the speed of the card is relevant for a mobile phone, it would only be an advantage in something like a DSLR when shooting in bursts. I've used mainly Sandisk and Kingston, both of which have worked faultlessly. I don't know about the Duracell brand, but I would hazard a guess that they're made by a third party not Duracell themselves.
|
|
|
17-10-2010, 10:26
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Micro SD card advice?
On the CLASS question, unless you're playing/recording HD then you don't need class 4 or above which is purely an indication of the transfer speed it can attain)
|
|
|
17-10-2010, 21:29
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Minas Tirith, Gondor
Age: 61
Posts: 3,458
|
Re: Micro SD card advice?
I usually use 7DayShop for flash memory, eg Toshiba branded 16GB MicroSDHC for £18 delivered.
As above, you won't need the fast cards for a phone.
|
|
|
18-10-2010, 05:21
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex innit
Age: 52
Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL
BT Telephone
Posts: 15,735
|
Re: Micro SD card advice?
Same as Aragorn, I use a Class 4 for my camera as the camera can make use of the speed and is designed to use it. Apart from that 7dayshop has not let me down yet.
|
|
|
18-10-2010, 09:01
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Guildford, Surrey
Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Posts: 982
|
Re: Micro SD card advice?
Higher speed helps when transferring to and from a PC. It can take a while to copy 16 GB of music tracks or photos.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:10.
|