Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Filmflex - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2010, 17:57   #1
Devonish
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northamptonshire
Services: VM Cable - TV/XL - Broadband/M - Tivo
Posts: 9
Devonish is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

Hi All,
First post from a newby, so far so good!!
Initially I came onboard for general info. on various fairly minor issues & found very good, helpful advise which was appreciated.
Then my V+ Hd box(Pace) began to do things it did not used to do, freezing, slowing, whirring for a few mins. very regularly when turned off & re-booting 2/3 times per week, that I know of, which disrupts viewing & recording. VM eventually contacted & told me an engineer can be booked who may change the box, what about content on the hard disc, oh you would lose that I`m afraid, you could record the content to DVDs?
I read lots of posts on recording to a DVD recorder & noted the many problems people were having, even with help & advise. I followed much of the advise with absolutely no success, I admit its probably something I am doing or not doing but it was either give up & forget my current recordings or have major regrets for ensuing behaviours & associated health risks, so give up it has to be.
But why oh why, in this type of situation, can`t the engineer connect one box to another & transfer all recorded content onto the re-placement box, what would be required to enable this must be relatively easy to put in place & would be very much appreciated by customers who have to have a new box. Any thoughts?
Devonish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2010, 18:04   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

It only plays the programmes to be recorded at the normal speed the is no high speed dubbing setting available, so if you have say 30 hours of programmes on your box then it would take 30 hours to record them plus the time taken swapping all the DVD's.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21   #3
jodash
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chatham Kent
Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
Posts: 318
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

I have no problems copying from either of my boxes to DVD, but most programes are repeated on a regulars basis so you can record them again
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:06   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

The engineer does not have time. Things stored on the box is not intended for long term storage, anything of importance should be kept on dvd.

I have thought about this before. I think the best option is to have the HDD inside ejectable so it can be placed into another box. The problem with that though is that it may infringe copyright, so I think that the HDD should be linked with the smartcard. So it will only work if the HDD is in the same box as the smartcard.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:09   #5
Devonish
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northamptonshire
Services: VM Cable - TV/XL - Broadband/M - Tivo
Posts: 9
Devonish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

Thanks for the input, I do understand the current limitations but I do believe that with todays technology there could & should be a way of transfering recorded content, onto a replacement box, in a relatively short time, by an engineer without falling foul of copyright legislation.
Devonish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 19:01   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonish View Post
Thanks for the input, I do understand the current limitations but I do believe that with todays technology there could & should be a way of transfering recorded content, onto a replacement box, in a relatively short time, by an engineer without falling foul of copyright legislation.
You did actually read my post above.

That is the speed of transfer the is no way to speed it up, 30 hours of content will take at least 30 hours to transfer probably longer, so if your box develops a fault and it requires replacement you will lose all the recordings on the box.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 21:18   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
You did actually read my post above.

That is the speed of transfer the is no way to speed it up, 30 hours of content will take at least 30 hours to transfer probably longer, so if your box develops a fault and it requires replacement you will lose all the recordings on the box.
I think the op means transfer via eithernet tec which would be quicker, but still to long
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 21:54   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I think the op means transfer via eithernet tec which would be quicker, but still to long
As you know the ethernet ports are disabled so play no part in the transfer of data.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 23:56   #9
Devonish
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northamptonshire
Services: VM Cable - TV/XL - Broadband/M - Tivo
Posts: 9
Devonish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

Masque, I found part of your response a bit sarcastic & not called for, of course I read your original post, its there on the forum, how could I not read it. Maybe if you read my post in a different way what I was/am trying to convey would be clearer. I am aware of the limitations of current hardware & software used by VM/V+ box manufacturers, my belief/hope was/is that there was/is hardware & software available that would enable relatively easy & swift transfer of recorded content, even if it meant some degree of quality loss. If you had responded that, say, yes it is possible but that would be, overall, way too expensive to implement for a relatively small improvement, I would have said to myself, well yes fair comment. But never mind & thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Devonish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:21   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonish View Post
Masque, I found part of your response a bit sarcastic & not called for, of course I read your original post, its there on the forum, how could I not read it. Maybe if you read my post in a different way what I was/am trying to convey would be clearer. I am aware of the limitations of current hardware & software used by VM/V+ box manufacturers, my belief/hope was/is that there was/is hardware & software available that would enable relatively easy & swift transfer of recorded content, even if it meant some degree of quality loss. If you had responded that, say, yes it is possible but that would be, overall, way too expensive to implement for a relatively small improvement, I would have said to myself, well yes fair comment. But never mind & thanks again for taking the time to respond.
It what way can my post be construed as sarcastic?

All I have done is point out the limitations on transferring programmes from the V+ to a recording system, as the system only transfers at the normal playing speed, hence a 1 hour programme will take 1 hour to transfer.

So if you have a box with 30 hours of recordings it will take a minimum of 30 hours to transfer, but this of course will only be possible on a working box, and as the engineer will have been called out for a faulty box the would be no system available to transfer from.

Even if we offered a service to retrieve your recordings from a faulty box it would not be free of charge as it would have to be done in a specialised facility which would then have to return the recordings to you, so I rather doubt that anyone would pay for such a service, plus it would very likely entail it being transferred onto your replacement box which you would be without for at least a week while the transfer was being done.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:16   #11
scaseman
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 98
scaseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Recording From V+ Box HDD To DVD

I use a Sony Hard Drive/DVD recorder to make my back ups. It has got a 160GB hard drive so I can copy to the drive, edit if required then burn to DVD. Also I can vary the picture quality so I can get several hundred hours recorded on the drive at low quality. The only downside is you do loose some quality copying even at the highest quality which I suppose is to be expected when using a SCART cable. If I know I want to keep a programme for a while I record it on the recorder while watching it which saves time later.
Also as a bonus I can use the SA built in tuners and record two programmes while recording a third via the Sony recorder.
scaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:06.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum