TV Downsampling Dolby to PCM :\
04-07-2010, 13:06
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
TV Downsampling Dolby to PCM :\
Hi, I have an LG 32LH3000 TV witj Sky+HD and my PS3 connected via HDMI. Connected to the TV via optical, I have an LG HT805SH Home theatre system that I bought last week.
Now, my understanding is that the TV should pass through the Dolby/PCM audio from the HDMI to the optical without so much as looking at it, but it seems that the TV is resampling everything that goes in to PCM so my movies and games aren't coming out as they should unless I connect them via optical directly to the Sky+HD/PS3.
Obviously this isn't ideal, I've tried playing with the audio settings on the TV but I still get PCM through it whereas if I connect the device directly; I get Dolby.
Can anyone make any suggestions?
Thanks
Graham
|
|
|
04-07-2010, 13:14
|
#2
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: TV Downsampling Dolby to PCM :\
Saw this on another website:
Quote:
SELECTING DIGITAL AUDIO OUT
This function allows you to select your preferred Digital Audio Output.
The TV can only output DOLBY Digital if a channel is broadcast with Dolby Digital audio.
When Dolby digital is available, selecting Dolby Digital in the Digital Audio Out menu will set SPDIF output to
Dolby Digital
If Dolby Digital is selected in the digital audio out menu when dolby digital is not available, SPDIF output will be
PCM.
Even if both Dolby Digital and Audio language have been set in a channel which broadcast Dolby Digital Audio,
only Dolby Digital will be played.
|
|
|
|
04-07-2010, 13:19
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: TV Downsampling Dolby to PCM :\
All I get from the Digital Audio Output is Auto and PCM
|
|
|
04-07-2010, 14:22
|
#4
|
|
NUTS !!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,323
|
Re: TV Downsampling Dolby to PCM :\
Are those all in one cinema/DVD jobbies capable of decoding other sources? Other than the built in DVD Player?
I don't get how they work myself as I've only used an AV, where everything is connected to that via HDMI and that decodes (bit stream) the picture and audio.
From the way it reads (probably wrong) you're thinking the TV will decode the sound sent by the SKYHD and the PS3, then bitstreamed to the home theater system then out via the surround speakers. I don't think it'll work myself. I hope I'm wrong.
Can you plug the SKYHD and/or PS3 directly into the home theater?, then hdmi from that to the TV? Can you select different input / outputs on the home theater?
__________________
Oh what fun it is
|
|
|
04-07-2010, 16:20
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: TV Downsampling Dolby to PCM :\
No the amp connects via optical (SP/DIF) to the TV's optical out which should just pass on the digital audio signal from the HDMI device (PS3 or Sky+HD) but the TV seems to be messing around with the audio and only outputting PCM which is obviously no good if the input audio is Dolby Digital 5.1, when i connect the individual device to the auxiliary optical in on the HT system, the correct audio is output (Dolby Digital or PCM depending on the audio source)
|
|
|
05-07-2010, 09:22
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: TV Downsampling Dolby to PCM :\
I connected my surround directly to the Sky+HD box via Optical last night and watched Avatar on Sky+HD and it came through with awesome Dolby 5.1 Surround like it should, I tried switching the optical back into the TV and it was coming through in Stereo PCM so it's definitely got something to do with the TV, the trouble is I am worried that constantly switching the optical between the PS3 and Sky Box might wear out the connectors, is there some sort of switch you can get?
|
|
|
10-07-2010, 06:36
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West London
Services: V.I.P
Posts: 1,271
|
Re: TV Downsampling Dolby to PCM :\
Does your TV have a DD decorder on board? Most TVs don't so can only pass stereo through the optical socket. I have seen this come up on many forums for many makes of TVs and this is always the answer.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:19.
|