Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Flatscreen TV set in Fireplace (Advice)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Newspapers or television?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 14:45   #1
lucy7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,103
lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age
Newspapers or television?

We never buy newspapers now.
We get our fix of what is going on in the world by local, uk, and international news television stations, as we want to be informed of what is happening in the world.

We stopped buying newspapers as we felt they were biased and at times ill informed, and down right scandlous! (we do check the papers out by net at times though, like via a forum link)

We were Express readers up untill 10 years ago though.

Why do you buy newspapers, if you do, which ones, and why?
Or are you like us and get informed by the mainly unbiased television?
lucy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2009, 14:52   #2
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.
 
dilli-theclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Newspapers or television?

I get my newspapers on cassette

The rest of my news I listen to on local radio and TV
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 14:53   #3
LondonRoad
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
Posts: 4,143
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
Re: Newspapers or television?

I still buy a paper everyday. I have wondered why I do it somedays recently.

I'd say information from t'internet is more likely to be main source of news though. Often I'm already aware of the news before I read the newspaper but I do prefer a more indepth report than you usually get on TV or internet.

The paper I normally buy, the Herald, had a good mix of local, national and international news but I think there's been a dumbing down in some articles recently. The coverage of some stories of local interest have been no better than teletext. Still buying but teetering on the edge... If I stop buying that I won't buy a replacement, I'll read the metro when I get to work.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 14:55   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Mod
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,017
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Newspapers or television?

Sometimes buy The Times before I get on the tube if there is anything I want to read.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 14:56   #5
gazzae
Inactive
 
gazzae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Belfast
Age: 46
Posts: 4,594
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
Re: Newspapers or television?

The only time I buy a paper is for something to read on the plane if I'm going to England or elsewhere with work. Otherwise I read them on the net.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 15:02   #6
Ramrod
Inactive
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Newspapers or television?

I get all my news from the internet and Radio 4
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 16:45   #7
Halcyon
Hello !
 
Halcyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Newspapers or television?

Most news I will see whenI log out of hotmail or whilst just browsing on forums and the Internet....one link to another link, etc.
I will read my local newspaper though on a thursday for the weekly guide to cinema listings, what's going on at the weekend, things to do, etc and to get a quick catch up on what is going on locally.

My sister sometimes buy's one of the weekend papers, can't remember which one it is with all the travel supplements. They are often inteesting reading about new places to plan holidays to, have good articles, and photos.
__________________
.
-

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 16:59   #8
zing_deleted
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Newspapers or television?

get enough news for me here on the forum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 17:04   #9
joglynne
Born again teenager.
 
joglynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,922
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Newspapers or television?

John and I stopped buying newspapers 15 years ago when we decided that they were an inaccurate, biased, fabricated, scaremongering waste of space and not worth the time and money we spent on them.

We have 2 local free papers which keep us informed about local issues and if a subject crops up in one of these, or we wish to look deeper into any item that interests us from the TV and radio news programs then we would rather search the Internet for as many sources as possible to try to get a balanced view.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 17:57   #10
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker
 
Sirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Newspapers or television?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I get all my news from the internet and Radio 4


Same here
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user

https://nobaraproject.org/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 22:05   #11
alferret
Inactive
 
alferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mansfield
Age: 60
Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
Posts: 5,532
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Re: Newspapers or television?

Although I will confess to buying the *cough* Daily Mail *cough* I get most of my news and current affairs information from radio 4.
__________________
Music is life - Live a fun one - listen to SKA!

I'm super lazy today!! Which is like normal lazy, but I'm also wearing a cape......
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 22:28   #12
xocemp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Newspapers or television?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I get all my news from the internet and Radio 4
Same
  Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 08:20   #13
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Newspapers or television?

No newspapers here except for a weekender with a TV supplement.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 09:18   #14
lauzjp
Inactive
 
lauzjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Luton
Age: 49
Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
Posts: 3,007
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp
Re: Newspapers or television?

this may seem odd as I work in a newsagents - but I rarely read a newspaper. I don't watch much telly either! I do spend more time on the internet, cos I can do lots more at once - catch up with friends, gossip, the news, do some shopping...
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 21:47   #15
Mick Fisher
Inactive
 
Mick Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Newspapers or television?

No Newspapers here. They are a waste of time and money IMO.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:15.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum