13-08-2005, 18:37
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Meat from a petri dish?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/genes/arti...html?gusrc=rss
Quote:
When meat is not murder
Would you eat steak if it had been grown in a petri dish?
Ian Sample, science correspondent
Saturday August 13, 2005
The Guardian
It is the ultimate conundrum for vegetarians who think that meat is murder: a revolution in processed food that will see fresh meat grown from animal cells without a single cow, sheep or pig being killed.
Researchers have published details in a biotechnology journal describing a new technique which they hailed as the answer to the world's food shortage. Lumps of meat would be cultured in laboratory vats rather than carved from livestock reared on a farm.
Scientists have adapted the cutting-edge medical technique of tissue engineering, where individual cells are multiplied into whole tissues, and applied them to food production. "With a single cell, you could theoretically produce the world's annual meat supply," said Jason Matheny, an agricultural scientist at the University of Maryland.
(snip)
|
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 18:38
|
#2
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
I'd have no problem as long as it passed relevant safety checks...
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 18:43
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: bolton
Age: 57
Services: non
wife took control
Posts: 5,425
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
but would millions of cows etc not be slaughtered because we wouldnt need them
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 18:51
|
#4
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by markymoan
but would millions of cows etc not be slaughtered because we wouldnt need them 
|
I'm sure they'll be given cushy new jobs, maybe customer services at NTL?
|
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 19:31
|
#5
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
If it tasted nice....
|
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 20:02
|
#6
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
as the best they seem to be able to hope for, at the moment, is something like a chicken nugget, I think I will pass. I don't even eat 'real' chicken nuggets (I think there is an oxymoron, there, actually  )
|
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 22:50
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Expanding Town with crap roads
Age: 67
Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Posts: 7,674
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by homealone
as the best they seem to be able to hope for, at the moment, is something like a chicken nugget, I think I will pass. I don't even eat 'real' chicken nuggets (I think there is an oxymoron, there, actually  )
|
I know exactly what you mean. But then where would we get our leather for shoes?
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 23:03
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poser
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Quote:
|
Lab-raised steaks will be off the menu for some time though. Scientists believe that while tissue engineering is advanced enough to grow bland, homogeneous meat, tasty and textured cuts will have to wait.
|
Sums it up really...
It's an interesting development nevertheless.
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 23:08
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London way
Age: 50
Services: Sarcasm
Posts: 8,376
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Nah, I'd always want to know that some small furry animal died for my dinner  - it just wouldn't be the same
In all seriousness, if it tasted like the 'real thing' (and I admit that sounds like it's a long way away) what would it matter? - i eat meat for the taste/flavour/texture - if carrots tasted like steak, I'd be having them rare, with chips, and lots of mustard - it wouldn't matter to me where it came from...
|
|
|
13-08-2005, 23:35
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by atlantis
I'm sure they'll be given cushy new jobs, maybe customer services at NTL?
|
oiiiiiiiiii
|
|
|
14-08-2005, 09:18
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Leeds
Services: NTL cable
Posts: 526
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
This sounds like a good idea. After all, I think most people would turn vegetarian if they had to raise livestock and then slaughter and butcher it. I know I would, but I love meat too much...
However, there are all sorts of issues to be resolved first. First of all, would it be safe? There could be that many chemicals and processes involved that it would be more like eating a chemical concoction. Having said that, if you read the ingredients on anything these days, you'll often start wondering whether you can purchase food without a prescription.
It could be argued that this would be a huge step forward. You wouldn't need to raise and then slaughter animals. There wouldn't be the need for farms, the moral issue of whether you should kill another sentient being to eat it would not be an issue any longer, and at least you could be sure that the meat in the petri dish hasn't been raised in a por environment, been slaughtered inhumanely, etc.
I can't help but think that at the end of the day, science is getting too involved in the food process. So much of what we eat is subjected to loads of unecesseary crap just to produce the food faster, cheaper and easier. It's easy to see why the organic food move has become so popular, and when you taste organic stuff, you really do notice a difference.
|
|
|
14-08-2005, 14:37
|
#12
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cambridgeshire
Age: 64
Posts: 4,232
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by atlantis
I'm sure they'll be given cushy new jobs, maybe customer services at NTL?
|

Dodgy ground there Mate!
Don`t upset our Marge or there will be Hell to pay!
|
|
|
15-08-2005, 01:13
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2005
Age: 61
Posts: 3,170
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Angua
But then where would we get our leather for shoes?
|
It wasn't shoes I was concerned about...!!!
|
|
|
15-08-2005, 07:57
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Expanding Town with crap roads
Age: 67
Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Posts: 7,674
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Graham
It wasn't shoes I was concerned about...!!! 
|
No, it was the leather wearing non meat eaters (for sentimental reasons) I was getting at
|
|
|
15-08-2005, 19:58
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: in the groove
Posts: 897
|
Re: Meat from a petri dish?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Angua
No, it was the leather wearing non meat eaters (for sentimental reasons) I was getting at 
|
So what's your problem with not eating meat and wearing leather shoes? I don't and do.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:00.
|