Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | installing cable modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Gaming Northampton
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2004, 10:55   #1
happymeal
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18
happymeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy NTL Gaming Northampton

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I've had the NTL 600k service now for about 6 months and have primarily been using it for playing online games such as counterstrike / ut2004 on PC. The quality of the connection has been reasonable but not anywhere near as good as some of the other ISPs I have used in the past. For some reason unknown to me my latency does not stay very constant and fluctuates between 20-70. This, you may think is nothing to complain about but the results it has on gameplay are sometimes frustrating causing jerkiness and warping. I decided not to make a fuss about this over the six months as I knew I would be moving in the near future.

I have now moved to my new location (still in Northampton) and NTL have recently come to install the new (same) service. This time it is even worst and I am experiencing lots of loss and choke when playing games. As such I have felt the need to state this on this forum and to NTL. Is this something that all gamers in the Northampton area experience or am I just really unlucky with the quality of my cable where ever I move to? I'd really not like to have to change ISPs as the TV and phone package have been fine all along.

If anyone can help, I would much appreciate it.

Many thanks
happymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2004, 11:07   #2
Jon M
Inactive
 
Jon M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: East Midlands
Age: 48
Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Posts: 2,947
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

A ping of between 20 - 70 will not give you any problems in fact you won't notice performance degredation until you reach about 120.
Packet loss however is a different story.
It's not unknown for there to be a suspect link in the NTL chain, can you post a traceroute output for us.

And to cableforum
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 11:07   #3
Nemesis
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Surrey
Age: 59
Services: Virgin stuff
Posts: 6,407
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having .... but just like to let you know we have a PC clan on the site too

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=41
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 11:23   #4
happymeal
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18
happymeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

Thanks for the welcome.

can't post a traceroute just now as i'm at work..

See i didn't expect a ping fluctuating between 20-70 to give me any problems either but people often say that I'm warping and I notice it as well while playing. The reason why I mentioned the ping was that generally most people on ADSL or cable have pings that are around 30-40 but they generally stay in that region. Mine seems to consistently go low then high, low then high. Isn't that a bit abnormal?

When I get home, where shall I post a tracert to? There is a chance the trace may not show anything as I don't consistently get loss - again it just goes up to 4-5 intermittently. And choke (of between 10-20) is the same, comes and goes. It's not the server as everyone else including those on NTL in other regions do not experience it. And it's generally a very good server! Besides, it happens across all uk servers I've tried.
happymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 11:32   #5
happymeal
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18
happymeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

thanks for the offer, but I'm in a clan

are you in any leagues, ladders?
happymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 12:07   #6
Nemesis
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Surrey
Age: 59
Services: Virgin stuff
Posts: 6,407
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymeal
thanks for the offer, but I'm in a clan

are you in any leagues, ladders?
No not at the mo, playing friendlies etc ... MOHAA Spearhead
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 12:07   #7
Jon M
Inactive
 
Jon M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: East Midlands
Age: 48
Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Posts: 2,947
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

currently enemydown for CS.. we've only just started out really
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 12:30   #8
Chris W
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Reading
Age: 42
Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Posts: 6,546
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymeal
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I've had the NTL 600k service now for about 6 months and have primarily been using it for playing online games such as counterstrike / ut2004 on PC. The quality of the connection has been reasonable but not anywhere near as good as some of the other ISPs I have used in the past. For some reason unknown to me my latency does not stay very constant and fluctuates between 20-70. This, you may think is nothing to complain about but the results it has on gameplay are sometimes frustrating causing jerkiness and warping. I decided not to make a fuss about this over the six months as I knew I would be moving in the near future.

I have now moved to my new location (still in Northampton) and NTL have recently come to install the new (same) service. This time it is even worst and I am experiencing lots of loss and choke when playing games. As such I have felt the need to state this on this forum and to NTL. Is this something that all gamers in the Northampton area experience or am I just really unlucky with the quality of my cable where ever I move to? I'd really not like to have to change ISPs as the TV and phone package have been fine all along.

If anyone can help, I would much appreciate it.

Many thanks
PM me the mac address of your cable modem or postcode if you are using a set to box, and i will have a look at this tonight for you.

MB
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 12:51   #9
nufcfan123
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 40
nufcfan123 is on a distinguished roadnufcfan123 is on a distinguished road
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

i am also having the same problem as you are, and i live bout 30mins down the road in luton, its really getting on my tit's now
nufcfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2004, 08:18   #10
happymeal
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18
happymeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

Thanks to monkeybreath for checking this out.. This is what he's said

"The problems are due to oversubscription on the upstream channel that you are using, this may be resolved by the end of the week when it is rebalanced on the weekly maintenance. "

Let's hope he's right!

Cheers MB
happymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2004, 08:34   #11
happymeal
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18
happymeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1lv3r
currently enemydown for CS.. we've only just started out really
I'll give your server a go when my connection is sorted out.. Can't bear to play how it is now!

Ours is 217.64.127.3:27055
happymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2004, 17:55   #12
Fubs
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2
Fubs is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

*Sigh* I get the same problems - it seems to fix itself for a week and then it will happen again. i just played some UT2004, ,y ping was acutally registering as 34, but there was a 2sec delay between me firing and the game registering.

This happens on all servers - including the ones which usually ping pretty good. I know the problem is UBR related, I used to have a surfboard modem and wqas able to switch upstream channel, but i moved and now I have a NTL own brand modem and cant do it (to my knowledge).

CS always used to tell me it was a problem with my PC, even when it wasn't, so i just dont bother with the 45 mins on hold to be told its my fault any more.

Northampton area as well
Fubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2004, 20:53   #13
happymeal
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18
happymeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

great... is the northampton area destined for poor gaming on ntl?
happymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2004, 21:05   #14
happymeal
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18
happymeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

just downloaded a program mentioned in one of the other threads called "Dan Elwells Broadband Speed Test".

Here are the results that came back.. I'm not downloading or uploading anything and I did the tests several times but they were all roughly the same. boo

Ping times to UK servers

bbc.co.uk: 99.5 ms

mirror.ac.uk: 74.5 ms

london.gov.uk: 96.8 ms

Ping times to European servers

gmd.de: 95 ms

uni-kl.de: 138.8 ms

sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch: 131.8 ms

Ping times to east-coast USA servers

helios.dii.utk.edu: 228 ms

ibiblio.org: 148 ms

ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu: 183.8 ms

Ping times to west-coast USA servers

mirrors.tds.net: 198.3 ms

mirror.ats.ucla.edu: 220.5 ms

math.utah.edu: 197 ms

Packet loss en route to a UK server

gold.ac.uk: 2 %

webcache.blueyonder.co.uk: 2 %

happymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2004, 17:18   #15
SteJ
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northants
Posts: 11
SteJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL Gaming Northampton

I have exactly the same problem up until 2 weeks ago I was fine, and happily playing some online call of duty with a nice 30-35 ping as It has been for 6 months or so, but all of a sudden I started warping in the game and thought the server died but what happened was my whole connection died, zonealarm then told me It had detected a new network, fair enough I thought a new IP address no big deal so I reconnnnected to the server only for my ping to fluctuate from 70-500 which is far from acceptable, I ran docsdiag and seen that I had been moved from upstream channel 4 (which has about 170 users) to upstream channel 2 which was fine for me, I'm also In the Northants area and can only conclude It's UBR related.
I had this problem last year as well for 3 months until my UBR was changed due to some "planned maintenance" in my area, and I was fine until 2 weeks ago.
Browsing and d/loads are fine only my ping is affected, which Is a shame since I only have BB for gaming. Ntl's CM tech support were no help since none of them seem to be able to grasp the concept of gaming pings no matter how much you spell It out to them.
So rather than complain and waste my time I've decided that ADSL is the way to go, get a BT line put in and theres a BIG list of ADSL service providers, so If one's no good u can simply try another which Is a luxury we can't have with NTL BB.
SteJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum