Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Getting a new IP address?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Newshosting newserver again

Old 25-04-2006, 12:41   #1
andip1967
Inactive

andip1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Newshosting newserver again

I think thier was a problem last month, with this news server and giganews as well.

Currently on 10mb, ntl news server no probs, newshosting absolute rubbish today, used all ports still no joy, posted traceroute to thier support team, no answers as yet, anybody else had probs.

Looking for a little light to be shed on matter please.

Thanks
andip1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2006, 13:44   #2
Stussy
Inactive

Services: NTL 2Meg
Stussy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Newshosting newserver again

What problems are you having? I'm with newshosting, and at first the speeds were fine - 1.5 - 1.7 over my 2 meg connection. Now I can NEVER exceed 0.6 even with 10 connections. Is this NTL or Newshosting do you think?
Stussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 13:50   #3
andip1967
Inactive

andip1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just tried again on port 7000, things are back working fine on this port, however others ports slow. I had this problem about a month back, maybe a hiccup not sure. Thans for your reply.
andip1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 22:41   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I always use port 9000 without issues.
Old 27-04-2006, 08:00   #5
Stussy
Inactive

Services: NTL 2Meg
Stussy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've switched to 7000 now, and everything back as it was - if anything slightly faster than before. I was able to point the finger at NTL, as from work newshosting was fine on the default port.
Stussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 22:15   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

There was an article on the front page of Newshostings website last year in which they recommended that NTL users use port 9000 if they were having speed issues. Personally i never had any issues with the default port but changed anyway.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:22   #7
cormega
Inactive

cormega is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same speed issues, how exactly do you change which port you use? I'm using Forte's Agent and I don't see a setting for it anywhere?
cormega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:26   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

If it's available it's probably in the connection settings for the server you're connecting to
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:52   #9
Enuff

I was with Newshostings for several years, but decided to leave because of speed issues on all ports.

I use Newsdemon now, and the service is fantastic, the speeds I get are between 2.0Mbp/s and 2.4Mbp/s all the time. The free News Rover software works a treat, and if I do start to have any problems, then I know instant 24/7 live support is available.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:47   #10
cormega
Inactive

cormega is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff View Post
I was with Newshostings for several years, but decided to leave because of speed issues on all ports.

I use Newsdemon now, and the service is fantastic, the speeds I get are between 2.0Mbp/s and 2.4Mbp/s all the time. The free News Rover software works a treat, and if I do start to have any problems, then I know instant 24/7 live support is available.
Cheers for the response guys. I'm sold, I'm going with NewsDemon they seem to be where the partys at right now Thanks again!
cormega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:08   #11
pxr5
Inactive

pxr5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been with Newshosting and Usenetserver in the past and neither are anywhere near as good as Giganews. I suppose you pay your money....
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote