PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
09-09-2013, 18:20
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maidstone
Services: VIP;
BB XL;
TiVo 1TB;
V+HD
Posts: 674
|
PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
Has anyone noticed that channels that present in PCM require a different audio delay in the amplifier?
For example I have a Sony Amp and TV with Dolby Digital it needs 100ms delay to keep lips in sync. However it requires 130ms for anything produced in PCM. Now of course you would think why not set the TiVO to PCM only? Well this is great and solves lip sync issue, but you lose multi channel sound!
Another issue is the massive difference in volume between Dolby Digital and PCM channels. If I switch from a DD to a PCM I need to lower the volume a lot and increase a lot when going the other way!
My PS3 and Apple TV on the other hand only need a 70ms, both of course run dolby digital. So what gives? Is this something that a software update can fix?
|
|
|
09-09-2013, 18:49
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
I don't need to add any audio delay for Tivo. Using Yamaha amps. Bedroom one (RX-V1500) connected via optical and lounge one (RX-V1900) connected via HDMI.
|
|
|
09-09-2013, 19:20
|
#3
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
At Home I use a Tivo using a Yamaha DSP Z7 no delay needs to be added. Work we have a Yamaha RX V671 and a Onkyo 606 with both types of Tivo and no delay needs to be added.
If you are experiencing this with your other equipment maybe its your combination of TV/Amp
|
|
|
09-09-2013, 19:42
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco
For example I have a Sony Amp and TV with Dolby Digital it needs 100ms delay to keep lips in sync. However it requires 130ms for anything produced in PCM.
|
You must be supersensitive to lip-sync, as that's less than one frame difference. Set it to 115ms as a compromise?
|
|
|
09-09-2013, 19:58
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maidstone
Services: VIP;
BB XL;
TiVo 1TB;
V+HD
Posts: 674
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I don't need to add any audio delay for Tivo. Using Yamaha amps. Bedroom one (RX-V1500) connected via optical and lounge one (RX-V1900) connected via HDMI.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
At Home I use a Tivo using a Yamaha DSP Z7 no delay needs to be added. Work we have a Yamaha RX V671 and a Onkyo 606 with both types of Tivo and no delay needs to be added.
If you are experiencing this with your other equipment maybe its your combination of TV/Amp
|
Both Yamaha amps, well I am not replacing my amp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
You must be supersensitive to lip-sync, as that's less than one frame difference. Set it to 115ms as a compromise?
|
It does not allow in 5ms increments. Also it is easy to sync I have my tv and amp running at the same time and tweak until there is not echo. That way I get perfect sync and yes I am sensitive! But that is not the point, it is not a cheap or crappy amp, it was a highly rated mid range!
|
|
|
09-09-2013, 20:04
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
I'm super sensitive to it also, Infact Comedy Central HD sometimes makes me want to smash something up its so bad.
|
|
|
09-09-2013, 20:21
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco
Also it is easy to sync I have my tv and amp running at the same time and tweak until there is not echo. That way I get perfect sync
|
Flawed logic? Aren't you assuming the TV itself is perfectly synchronised?
Try turning off all picture enhancements in the TV and see if that improves things.
|
|
|
09-09-2013, 22:20
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maidstone
Services: VIP;
BB XL;
TiVo 1TB;
V+HD
Posts: 674
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Flawed logic? Aren't you assuming the TV itself is perfectly synchronised?
Try turning off all picture enhancements in the TV and see if that improves things.
|
The TV is synchronised, I use visual and audio feedback to judge. I tuned on game mode and it did not help.
|
|
|
09-09-2013, 22:29
|
#9
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
Posts: 856
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
I had a Yamaha for 10 years until the front two channels died and that suffered from lipsync issues especially on Sky Movies HD. Bought a new Yamaha last week and it's fine now. Mind you - I do have the HDMI plugged into the Amp now rather than before, HDMI was into the TV and sound via optical.
|
|
|
10-09-2013, 05:59
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: PCM + Dolby Digital + Volume + Lip sync issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian
Mind you - I do have the HDMI plugged into the Amp now rather than before, HDMI was into the TV and sound via optical.
|
My bedroom setup is connected that way and no problems.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27.
|