Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Happy Birthday aviewer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Can you live without the internet ?
View Poll Results: I need to access the Internet...
Atleast once an hour if not more 10 35.71%
Every couple of hours 12 42.86%
Once a day 4 14.29%
Couple of times a week 1 3.57%
Once a week 0 0%
Sod it. Whenever I can be bothered. Hardly ever. 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 15:55   #1
Halcyon
Hello !
 
Halcyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Can you live without the internet ?

So how long can you live without the Internet ?
I'm going away for a few weeks and I'm going to be without internet access. Its in a remote village in the mountains and its like going back in time to the stone age.
I am going to HAVE TO find some net acess somewhere in some ridiculously overpriced internet cafÃÃâ€*’© somwhere 50 miles away to access the net, as I think I will go insane without a PC.

So, can you live without it ?
__________________
.
-

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2004, 16:02   #2
Paul K
Inactive
 
Paul K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex innit
Age: 52
Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Posts: 15,735
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

Live without the internet? Err Not a reallistic option at the moment since it's how I contact my better half.
If I were living with her then I think I could survive for a while since we spend a lot of time away from the PC when we are together.
When on holiday in Orlando in 2002 I must admit I logged onto a PAYG terminal to send a holiday message to friends on another forum. Only did it the once and then I was Offline for 2 weeks
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 16:04   #3
kronas
Inactive
 
kronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: heckmondwike
Age: 40
Posts: 10,767
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

i have only been online since 2000/2001 and i must say i could not really live without it, the resourcefulness of the internet is unmatched in the real world, it opens up a new road of information, shopping, creating new freinds and relationships, it can be a helpful network for a variety of things....

not to mention keeping in touch with loved ones
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 16:05   #4
ZrByte
Inactive
 
ZrByte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

I think I could, though I can't immagine any reason why I would go somewhere where I couldnt get access.
I used a computer recently without any form of network or internet connection, it was like a totally different machine, instead of bright and interesting like my computer, this seemed very dull & boring, I guess if it wasnt for the internet I wouldnt be as interested in computers as I am now.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 16:17   #5
Bex
Inactive
 
Bex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: surrey
Posts: 4,412
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

i use the internet to keep my fella entertained while he is at work..... plus since i do not see him every day it is another way we have of keeping in touch,
when i was at uni i used the net a lot to keep in contact with friends and family back home, and now i use it to stay in contact with my uni friends....

sometimes i only spend ten minutes on the pc, others i spend a lot of time
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 16:28   #6
Chimaera
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,223
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

No!!
I'm on the net for too much - not only for keeping in touch with people but researching stuff for work - and it's so much better than dragging round the shops looking for things!
I think I'd get withdrawal symptoms if I had to give it up!
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 16:54   #7
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned
 
paulyoung666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex
i use the internet to keep my fella entertained while he is at work..... plus since i do not see him every day it is another way we have of keeping in touch,
when i was at uni i used the net a lot to keep in contact with friends and family back home, and now i use it to stay in contact with my uni friends....

sometimes i only spend ten minutes on the pc, others i spend a lot of time


now i wouldnt possibly ask how you keep him entertained , would i ..................

sorry bex
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 17:25   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,212
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

The net is part of my job since I run a number of websites for work, as well as servers for Digiguide.
__________________

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 17:27   #9
Ramrod
Inactive
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
now i wouldnt possibly ask how you keep him entertained , would i ..................
....perhaps there is a webcam involved
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 17:49   #10
Halcyon
Hello !
 
Halcyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

I think I've used the net for many things:

- Chatting to Uni friends.
- Keeping contact with family abroad and doing cam and microphone conversations. Cheaper than calling on the phone.
- Buying CD's, DVD's, Gamecube games, Clothes, Electronic equipment, etc.
- Finding out information about places, booking holidays.

Its a great tool and also a great way to keep in contact with friends.
I'd be lost without it.
__________________
.
-

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 17:52   #11
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned
 
paulyoung666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
....perhaps there is a webcam involved


no no no , surely not
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 18:07   #12
Graham F
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,604
Graham F has reached the bronze age
Graham F has reached the bronze ageGraham F has reached the bronze ageGraham F has reached the bronze age
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

Yes i could quite happily live without the internet its just a case of breaking the habbit of going online once you have done that a long as you replace it with something else then you will not miss it

although i do acknowledge it is a very good way of keeping in touch with people and even making new friends as I have done on here!!

Graham F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 18:11   #13
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.
 
dilli-theclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

I'm going away for a week in about a fortnight - I have no idea how I'm gonna cope
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 18:28   #14
iadom
In the corner, sulking.
 
iadom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Shaw, Oldham, Lancashire.
Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
Posts: 8,041
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

The definative answer is almost certainly "Yes I could live without the internet" the real question is would I want to.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 18:31   #15
kink
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can you live without the internet ?

ok......... here goes.....

My name's kink

And....... I'm an Internetolic

Thanks to my job i'm on it most of the day.......... and then i rush home to get back on it.....

While it's an incredible source of information and misinformation, educational and yet capable of misleading, a cheap form of communication and even socialising...... i believe that it makes us lazy and to a certain extent unsociable - this is still taking into account making friendships (if that's what they are) via the internet.
At the same time..... for those people that are incapacitated, socially or geographically challenged....... it's an incredible world........ i just hope i don't end up living here

There is a program/game Second Life that allows you to do just that....... have a second life online.......
How long will it be before we can become human peripherals and live online via usb?

Bit scary..... but it's a Brave New World.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:45.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum