18-05-2004, 13:52
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
|
USB to Ethernet - Help!
I've been on an ntl broadband USB Cable Modem Connection for about a year, but want to change the connection to Ethernet. I bought a straight-through 10/100 cable and have spent 12 hours trying to get the ethernet connection to work. No luck. When trying to reinstall the cable modem with an ethernet connection the ntl CD installation programme says that there are several more USB Cable Modem 351000 network adaptors that need to be removed before intallation can proceed. But these don't exist! Not on my Device Manager at least. I got rid of some packet scheduler miniports which i thought were the problem but evidently not. Has anyone else been on ntl broadband and tried to change connections from usb to ethernet? The local area connection is working with ethernet but internet isn't. Help!
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 14:16
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Abingdon
Services: VM 10 (well >4!) Meg via modem, M tv pack, 1 phone line
Posts: 179
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
I tried 4 ethernet cards and eventually an ntl engineer changed the modem. Not sure whether the last card or the change of modem did the trick but since then no problems. I did have similar problems with mulitple adaptors being seen but eventually managed to delete them all and start afresh.
Are there any self diagnostics you can do with the card to check it's ok? I persuaded ntl to come out when I had tried other connections to the ethernet card (handy friends with laptops and hardware firewalls) which showed the card to be working fine.
Keep trying and I hope you succeed.
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 14:26
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
Thanks for your comments. I don't think though that the ethernet card is the problem. When it's connected the local area connection works fine at 100mbps, but that doesn't help me without the internet connection! Could it be something to do with a Mac or IP address?
Valerie how did you move all the additional adaptors?
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 14:27
|
#4
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 8
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you needed a cross-over cat5 cable to connect the modem directly to the ethernet port on you PC.
You shouldn't need the modem drivers on the NTL cd in any way.
Hope this helps
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 14:32
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 47
Posts: 6,343
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
No, a normal CAT5 cable will do just fine.
All you usually need to do to change from USB>Ethernet is switch off the modem and computer, plug it in via ethernet making sure that the USB is still not connected and then turn the modem on, leave for 10 seconds then turn the PC on.
Assuming it's one of the silver Ambit modems that is, I have no experience of the older ones.
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 14:33
|
#6
|
|
Guest
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by uandave
I've been on an ntl broadband USB Cable Modem Connection for about a year, but want to change the connection to Ethernet. I bought a straight-through 10/100 cable and have spent 12 hours trying to get the ethernet connection to work. No luck. When trying to reinstall the cable modem with an ethernet connection the ntl CD installation programme says that there are several more USB Cable Modem 351000 network adaptors that need to be removed before intallation can proceed. But these don't exist! Not on my Device Manager at least. I got rid of some packet scheduler miniports which i thought were the problem but evidently not. Has anyone else been on ntl broadband and tried to change connections from usb to ethernet? The local area connection is working with ethernet but internet isn't. Help!
|
 to the forum uandave.
you shouldn't need to use the installation cd, as your cable modem is already registered with ntl. So long as you are sure that the usb drivers have been removed, power off the modem & the pc, connect the pc to the modem using a straight through cat5 cable, power up the cable modem & let it settle down for 30 secs, finally boot the pc & you should be assigned an IP & be able to connect.
<edit> must type faster
|
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 14:36
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nottingham
Services: O2 ADSL Broadband with BT line and Freesat from Sky
Posts: 175
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
Hi uandave,
I guess you are using a standalone cable modem, it sounds like it. All you should need to do is remove the usb cable, connect the ethernet cable. reboot modem (power off 10 secs then switch back on) and reboot pc.
Are you getting an ethernet light on modem? Have you checked the ethernet card is correctly installed in device manager?
Robin Walkers site has some handy tips
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html
Hope this helps
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 15:13
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
Thanks for your help all. I've done everything you've suggested but still having issues. I've even tried following Stuartbe's first post on the - how to set up a broadband connection without the cd - on this forum but when i'm in command.com the ipconfig/renew won't work, it times out without reaching the dchp???
All E'net lights on modem are working etc, I'll try repowering again...
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 15:22
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 567
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 17:42
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
Still no luck. I've tried power cycling the cable modem to no avail. The ethernet driver is working fine, and with usb the cable modem is good too. Just with Ethernet the internet won't work.
Thanks for all the information you've given me, I've tried it all. Is there anything else I can do apart from getting a brand new cable modem and hoping for the best?!!
PS. I still have a hunch that the USB Cable Modem 351000 adaptors that the ntl broadjump CD says are faulty - bearing in mind they don't seem to exist on my system - is the reason for Ethernet not working. Does anyone know how to uninstall these adaptors? Like I say, they're not visible on the hardware device manager in system. Could they be lurking anywhere else?
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 20:01
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
Do you have the IP address of the local area connection with the ethernet card ???
You shouldn't have to run the CD btw
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 20:02
|
#12
|
|
Guest
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by uandave
Still no luck. I've tried power cycling the cable modem to no avail. The ethernet driver is working fine, and with usb the cable modem is good too. Just with Ethernet the internet won't work.
Thanks for all the information you've given me, I've tried it all. Is there anything else I can do apart from getting a brand new cable modem and hoping for the best?!!
PS. I still have a hunch that the USB Cable Modem 351000 adaptors that the ntl broadjump CD says are faulty - bearing in mind they don't seem to exist on my system - is the reason for Ethernet not working. Does anyone know how to uninstall these adaptors? Like I say, they're not visible on the hardware device manager in system. Could they be lurking anywhere else?
|
hiya - I agree it could be a 'hangover' of your previous USB installation. I've never used my modem with USB, so I'm floundering here, so apologies if you've already done this, or it isn't even an option  - but have you tried removing the USB drivers via 'add-remove programs', rather than device manager?
|
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 20:21
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 567
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by uandave
I still have a hunch that the USB Cable Modem 351000 adaptors that the ntl broadjump CD says are faulty - bearing in mind they don't seem to exist on my system - is the reason for Ethernet not working.
|
This should not be a problem. If they are not visible, they are not active in your system. Please open a command window, type the command
ipconfig /all
and copy-and-paste the results here. This should enable us to narrow down where any problem might be.
|
|
|
18-05-2004, 21:38
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 371
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
What version of windows are you running.
If using anything other than win xp
Check that internet protocol tcp/ip for your nic is installed correctly.
You can check this from start>control panel>network.
If this is missing reinstall the network card.
|
|
|
19-05-2004, 01:07
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3
|
Re: USB to Ethernet - Help!
ok try this.
Goto your network cards info box.
Start > My Network places > view network conections > Rightclcik the network card > Properties
Scroll down untill you see the Internet protocol option/ select it then click properties,
Make sure in general tab you have BOTH circles checked to OBTAIN auto.
Then do the power off stuff.
( Now with blueyonder you need to assign a mac address for your nic, i dont know if this applies to NTL but still a thought. )
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:14.
|