Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A bit of an odd question...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Adding an additional monitor

Old 30-05-2024, 23:24   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Adding an additional monitor

Hi all,

got a new pc and its connected to my new monitor via hdmi cable. i now have a spare monitor....is there anyway to connect an additional monitor? do i need a special cable?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2024, 23:29   #2
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adding an additional monitor

What Graphics card does the new pc have? If your graphics card has more than one output you can connect more displays. I have my pc connected to a monitor and the tv.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 23:46   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Even if it has onboard you will be able to connect more than one screen. I have screens connected to onbard and gfx and they all run together

Just plug it into a spare hdmi/displayport and the pc will find it and automatically extend it. You can change the arrangement in display settings
Old 31-05-2024, 01:55   #4
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

True. Even Windows 7 and 8 allowed for dual screens; I imagine it'd be simpler in Windows 10 to just define the second screen as a new device (and doubtless harder in 11 - I don't like the way it does some things, or that there are one or two things it can't do, whereas earlier versions could). Back in '16 my manager used two screens routinely; I think it was possible to do what they did in Avatar, i.e. pass data from one device to another. I think.
Old 31-05-2024, 08:56   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
True. Even Windows 7 and 8 allowed for dual screens; I imagine it'd be simpler in Windows 10 to just define the second screen as a new device (and doubtless harder in 11 - I don't like the way it does some things, or that there are one or two things it can't do, whereas earlier versions could). Back in '16 my manager used two screens routinely; I think it was possible to do what they did in Avatar, i.e. pass data from one device to another. I think.
Hahaha I was running multi screen set ups in the early 2000s. My old Geforce 2 MX440 shipped with VGA and SVideo to composite so used to run that to the TV. Most cards had DSUB and DVI so could extend or clone way back to ME and XP OSs never tried with Win98 but it always worked when I did want it too

Windows 11 just sees the screens like all operating systems before it. I run 3 screens all the time and have my TV and Projector connected. They can all run at the same time extended or cloned however I choose. It is all very simple and always has been
Old 31-05-2024, 09:38   #6
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Hahaha I was running multi screen set ups in the early 2000s. My old Geforce 2 MX440 shipped with VGA and SVideo to composite so used to run that to the TV. Most cards had DSUB and DVI so could extend or clone way back to ME and XP OSs never tried with Win98 but it always worked when I did want it too

Windows 11 just sees the screens like all operating systems before it. I run 3 screens all the time and have my TV and Projector connected. They can all run at the same time extended or cloned however I choose. It is all very simple and always has been
Totally agree, windows 11 is by far the easiest now due to the task bar set up. My main PC is wired (HDMI) into the AV so any media from the pc gets the full 4k 5.1/7.1/dts/etc to my TV. Which makes everything so simple. You can just pick, extend, or duplicate which screen you want with just 3 clicks of the mouse from the task bar. Codecs setting up, well that's another issue lol.
Old 31-05-2024, 10:37   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Totally agree, windows 11 is by far the easiest now due to the task bar set up. My main PC is wired (HDMI) into the AV so any media from the pc gets the full 4k 5.1/7.1/dts/etc to my TV. Which makes everything so simple. You can just pick, extend, or duplicate which screen you want with just 3 clicks of the mouse from the task bar. Codecs setting up, well that's another issue lol.
I use optical out from PC to amp and then set SPDIF to DD/DTS in Media Player Classic just works then. PC directly to TV so split audio and video to 2 different outputs
Old 31-05-2024, 10:45   #8
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I use optical out from PC to amp and then set SPDIF to DD/DTS in Media Player Classic just works then. PC directly to TV so split audio and video to 2 different outputs
I use FFDshow pass through which does everything through HDMI from the 4090 to AV.

I hate setting up codecs can take quite a bit of fiddling around. But once it's sorted it works very well. Thing is you only need to do it the once so it's easy to forget the set up when you do a new install which is usually very rare for me.
Old 31-05-2024, 11:38   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I use FFDshow pass through which does everything through HDMI from the 4090 to AV.

I hate setting up codecs can take quite a bit of fiddling around. But once it's sorted it works very well. Thing is you only need to do it the once so it's easy to forget the set up when you do a new install which is usually very rare for me.
Optical just sends the raw digital signal and the amp does its thing
Old 31-05-2024, 11:53   #10
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
Optical just sends the raw digital signal and the amp does its thing
The trouble with that way is you don't get TrueHD or DTS-HD MA sound. And you have to have a separate lead which is not really needed.
Old 31-05-2024, 15:06   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I connect my Laptop to my Sony 32" 3D TV, and use the expanded mode, and set the 32" as the main screen.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote