VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
14-10-2015, 19:21
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lancashire/Manchester
Services: VM 70Mbps, VM Mixed TV and VM Talk Anytime
Posts: 2
|
VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
Hi guys,
I am due to receive my upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 by the end of this year (maybe the first few months at the start of next year at latest if they postpone upgrades in my area).
This test was done over Wi-Fi (however not the SuperHub's Wi-Fi); the test was also done with about 2 other people using the internet as well as me at the time. I use the SuperHub's DHCP reservation services (also called Static IP Address services), DMZ mode and more to enable a second router on my network. Additionally, I have disabled DHCP on my second router as well as most of the firewall and secure NAT services on both the SuperHub and the second router too. I connected the SuperHub's 1st LAN port to the 1st LAN port on my second router and it worked like.... MAGIC!!! After spending some time altering, changing and disabling loads of settings. Haha, I have no problems at all with setting up/configuring/taking use of this setup method.
On the other hand, I also use the SuperHub as a Wi-Fi router, but only to connect basic devices which I don't want stealing bandwidth from the network or putting strain on my second router and it is usually used for legacy devices (since I have a lot of them in my house). I sometimes skim a 55Mbit download on rare occasions and I sometimes skim a 3.20Mbit upload on rare occasions too, although I am very happy with my service to say the least as my household is paying for 50/3 and we're getting over what we're paying for 99.9% of the time.
Me and my family have been a Virgin Media customers since 2009, so that's about 6ish or 7ish years and I live in a quite small town about 25 miles North of Manchester (with a population of about 15,000 - 20,000 people at most), but my town is inside of a big town with a population of almost 100,000 people. However both towns have their own telephone exchanges and separate links to the internet.
Finally, I am mainly confused on the actual equipment which I will need and/or which will be used as part of this upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5. I currently have the SuperHub 1 (VMDG480) with a matte black finish instead of the shiny gloss finish on the front and back of the SuperHub 1, which works great if you overlook the poor standards of wireless on it and I am overall happy with it. However I have heard on many forums including Overclockers UK Forums, Virgin Media's official forums and a few other forums that customers are offered free upgrades to the SuperHub 2 (is it the SuperHub 2 or the SuperHub 2AC?!?) On the other hand, if customers do opt into upgrading to the free SuperHub 2 offer they have to pay a one off fee of £6 for postage, thus is this information I have heard legit/true or fake/lies?!?
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 19:24
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
AFAIK only 200meg officially requires a SH2
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 19:42
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
The new VIVID 150 tier requires at least a SuperHub 2 as well
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 19:48
|
#4
|
|
Woke and proud !
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 10,251
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
The new VIVID 150 tier requires at least a SuperHub 2 as well
|
Can confirm that. Was given an SH2AC to replace my SH1 when getting the upgrade from 100 to 150mb. Not needed I'm sure, especially since I use Modem mode. Don't know if they do the same when going from 50 to 70. They do charge £5.99 p&p though - a bit cheeky since they get hundreds from me each year.
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 19:57
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
The new VIVID 150 tier requires at least a SuperHub 2 as well
|
But a 152meg xxl doesnt?
I wish someone would tell the service department as we are not allowed to upgrade hubs, we will end up with many with a sh1 on 150 and 200
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 20:00
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66
But a 152meg xxl doesnt?
|
I'm pretty sure anyone going up to 152Mbit qualified for a SH2 last time around but it wasn't required, but this time it's required.
Quote:
|
I wish someone would tell the service department as we are not allowed to upgrade hubs, we will end up with many with a sh1 on 150 and 200
|
Except my understanding that anyone with a SH1 going to either of those tiers will stay on their old speed - because there is no config for the SH1 for either VIVID 150 or VIVID 200.
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 20:01
|
#7
|
|
Woke and proud !
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 10,251
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
Maybe it depends on whether you opt for self install or an engineer visit? Self install you get the latest equipment, an engineer visit you get whatever they have on the van plus muddy footprints
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 20:02
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
It should be the same no matter which route you go through. I'll mention this to some colleagues tomorrow as it should be allowed.
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 20:04
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K
Maybe it depends on whether you opt for self install or an engineer visit? Self install you get the latest equipment, an engineer visit you get whatever they have on the van plus muddy footprints 
|
We have boot covers, but you wont get the latest equipment from me I;m afraid
---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
It should be the same no matter which route you go through. I'll mention this to some colleagues tomorrow as it should be allowed.
|
We get flagged up as installing the wrong CPE and an Email from our manager asking why we are not following the process of only like for like swaps.
We carry refurbished SH1s in our van, what are they for? It seems silly using them at all if they have to be swapped out in the very very near future.
Perhaps you can suggest SM and L BB = sh1 or like for like
XL - SH2 or SH2AC
XXL - SH2AC
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 20:13
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
As I said, I'll flag this to be looked into.
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 20:17
|
#11
|
|
Woke and proud !
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 10,251
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
So going back to the OP's question, presumably he'll keep his SH1 when going from 50 to 70MB? I never had any problems with the SH1 (in modem mode that is).
Maybe worth asking for an upgrade to the next tier if you really want an SH2 -worked out cheaper for me on my package for some reason.
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 20:20
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: VM (Virgin Media) upgrade from 50/3 to 70/5 and/as well as equipment confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K
So going back to the OP's question, presumably he'll keep his SH1 when going from 50 to 70MB? I never had any problems with the SH1 (in modem mode that is).
|
Yes, that's right.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:32.
|