Rosetta comet landing due today
12-11-2014, 08:10
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Rosetta comet landing due today
Website
European and indeed international co-operation at its finest - with the aim of expanding the horizon of human knowledge.
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 08:13
|
#2
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,579
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
Philae is loose ... happy landings.
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 12:11
|
#3
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,923
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
Really looking forward to the landing. Should be at around 4pm I understand.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 12:17
|
#4
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
It's looking good. I hope they sort the thruster problem out or I can see it bouncing off the asteroid.
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 12:18
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
Yeah, been anticipating this with excitement for a week. Not read up on the ******** yet but I hope it's not too bad, or else it's another 5 years or more journey till they get to try again...
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 13:33
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Guildford, Surrey
Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Posts: 982
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 14:01
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 15:06
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Posts: 9,699
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
Webcast froze here just as they started to celebrate!
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 15:12
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
Good job too, I forgot about it and alt-tabbed back right on time to see the start of those celebrations.
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 16:28
|
#10
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,923
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
17:09
Quote:
Concerns lander may have bounced off comet
Scientists at the European Space Agency say they have concerns over the fate of the Philae Lander.
As the anchors did not fire they cannot say "with 100% certainty that we are on the comet and are staying there." They are observing the movement of the lander to confirm it is stationary on the comet rather than "still in movement."
|
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-1...comet-landing/
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 16:30
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Location: W Mids
Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
Posts: 2,081
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
Something has always puzzled me, with comets. They're essentially asteroids that get close to the sun, close enough for some material to melt and leave a streaming 'tail' that makes it very visible. If this is the case, each pass must make it lose mass, you'd think after seeing some comet tails that are very long and presumably containing lots of material that after a few passes there wouldn't be any mass left?
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 16:47
|
#12
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
Yes, they do do that, but their tails are also very un-dense and their mass is huge. Remember this thing is 4km across, the diameter size of a medium size city and heavy enough to have sufficient gravity for a spaceship to orbit it.
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 17:52
|
#13
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Swansea, South Wales UK.
Age: 75
Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
Posts: 2,753
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
It states its an ESA landing. I hope the DWP doesn't find out who worked on it cos they will lose their benefits :-D
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 18:08
|
#14
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,396
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
I read the landing was throwing a hammer from London and hitting a nail in India.
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
12-11-2014, 19:43
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Rosetta comet landing due today
Nonsense as usual. That'd be vaguely accurate only if India was the size of the moon and the nail was the size of Europe. Hitting something 4km wide from 30km away is no harder than hitting a bookshelf from the other side of the room, and that bookshelf had a gravity well that sucked everything towards it nomatter where you aimed.
Fact is they don't even have a clue where it landed, they've already lost the damn thing.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:37.
|