Skysports in SD vs HD debate
29-08-2013, 10:13
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Skysports in SD vs HD debate
I was having a debate yesterday about SD & HD
I am bias; I do love HD whilst Mrs Anypermitedroute says there is no difference and it does annoy me that I come in and she is watching BBC in SD! I mean come on darling I am paying for XL put in HD please (edit: I was only slightly annoyed in a jovial sense)
anyway I digress, watching Skysports 3 & 4 and dear God the picture quality is so bad so i decided to check out skysports 1 SD ( I have HD £7 add on) and the champions league last night was almost unwatchable IMO, it was so Fuzzy that it makes a mockery of paying the huge amount just for SD version, which makes me started to think are they purposely making the picture quality that bad to force you to upgrade HD. I dont remeber in the pre HD days SD was that bad, even when something like BBC shows something its not that bad but skysports in SD is truly awful so
1) Is it that bad in SD?
2) is HD that much better?
3) SD is so bad it makes HD look good?
for the £7 I pay I think its pretty rotten of SKY not to give Skysports 3, 4 and F1 not in HD, but that has been exhaustedly discussed in other threads I am interested whether SD has always been that bad or they making it bad to make HD look good
hope that makes sense
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 11:02
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hartlepool
Age: 38
Services: Sky+HD sports and movies HD, sky fibre pro, ps4 and xbox one.
Posts: 478
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute
I was having a debate yesterday about SD & HD
I am bias; I do love HD whilst Mrs Anypermitedroute says there is no difference and it does annoy me that I come in and she is watching BBC in SD! I mean come on darling I am paying for XL put in HD please (edit: I was only slightly annoyed in a jovial sense)
anyway I digress, watching Skysports 3 & 4 and dear God the picture quality is so bad so i decided to check out skysports 1 SD ( I have HD £7 add on) and the champions league last night was almost unwatchable IMO, it was so Fuzzy that it makes a mockery of paying the huge amount just for SD version, which makes me started to think are they purposely making the picture quality that bad to force you to upgrade HD. I dont remeber in the pre HD days SD was that bad, even when something like BBC shows something its not that bad but skysports in SD is truly awful so
1) Is it that bad in SD?
2) is HD that much better?
3) SD is so bad it makes HD look good?
for the £7 I pay I think its pretty rotten of SKY not to give Skysports 3, 4 and F1 not in HD, but that has been exhaustedly discussed in other threads I am interested whether SD has always been that bad or they making it bad to make HD look good
hope that makes sense
|
I agree entirely with this my wife only yesterday put sky movies showcase on in sd , I think regarding the quality is that hd is so much better sd that it makes sd look so poor.
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 11:30
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002
I agree entirely with this my wife only yesterday put sky movies showcase on in sd , I think regarding the quality is that hd is so much better sd that it makes sd look so poor.
|
Totally agree.
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 11:45
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
I agree that HD quality is so good that it makes SD poor but has SD become poorer? I really dont think it was ever that bad taking into account flatscreen TVs than what we had before
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 11:53
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
Not just the SKY Sports channels though. The other year, watching Rugby World Cup on ITV SD was absolute rubbish. Put it on HD and the picture was much clearer. Where I can, I will watch and record HD because the picture is much better.
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 13:44
|
#6
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
Totally agree. Exactly the same with my wife - PUT HD on woman!!!!
The sky sports SD is awful. I recently dropped sky sports HD and went up to the XL pack. I really miss it - the SD quality is almost unbearable. SD must be getting worse - was it really this bad before HD came in?
Kudos to BT Sport though -their HD picture is outstanding.
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 13:48
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
totally agree on BT HD really oustanding picture, must be their shiny new equipment
I really dont thhink it was that bad, and for £25 or so it cost for SD i do expect to see a picture and be able to see the difference between Lionel Messi and Kolo Toure but at the moment they could be the same (ok slight exageration but you get the point)
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 14:51
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Preston
Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
Posts: 1,947
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
Spot on bud,don't watch sd channels and if there is a program I want to watch on sd channel that ain't in hd I aquire hd version b other means
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 15:11
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Services: XL tv bb 200 mb tivo 500gb box
Posts: 655
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
agree HD much better than SD by miles
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 15:21
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
But if you watch BBC1 in SD, its much better than Sky Sports in SD. I agree with your hypothesis - they have lowered the bit rates for the SD version to encourage people to upgrade.
It would be interesting to know the bit rates for BBC1 vs Sky Sports 1. Anyone know?
Colin
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 15:39
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
spot on Colin, I would say Skysports in SD is worse than what we had to contend with when we only had ITV4 SD for Europa, can anyone qualify Colin Question above?
so grateful for the rest of ITV HD channels now , if we hadnt got Skysports in HD and SD would it be worth the subscription I dont think so
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 18:09
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
There is no debate, people who think there is either have poor eye sight, poor colour gradiation recognition (all women have this - fact) or substandard tv equipment.
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 18:28
|
#13
|
|
Rise above the players
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 with 360, ITVX, 4+, Prime, Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount+, Discovery+, HBO Max
Posts: 15,514
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac
There is no debate, people who think there is either have poor eye sight, poor colour gradiation recognition (all women have this - fact) or substandard tv equipment.
|
Christ! That's alienated half the population in one post!
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 18:33
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
Main reason I won't yet go back to VM , HD is essential for Sport in my eyes.
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 18:40
|
#15
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: Skysports in SD vs HD debate
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Main reason I won't yet go back to VM , HD is essential for Sport in my eyes.
|
And getting a good deal recently has nothing to do with you staying master. 
---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Main reason I won't yet go back to VM , HD is essential for Sport in my eyes.
|
Well most of the top sports are on HD 1 and 2 which Virgin have.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:31.
|