Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Potential move to BT Infinity...
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2012, 12:26   #1
Wallace
Inactive
 
Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Potential move to BT Infinity...

I work for BT and am entitled to unrestricted BT Infinity FOC. I have not been able to get it until very recently as they have only just dropped the FTTC (RDLSAM) into the ground and enabled my PCP.

I have been more than happy with VM since I moved to then in 2003. However, it's a no-brainer really. Even taking into account the BT land line rental, I would be saving a mint each month and have unrestricted Broadband without any caps/TS (AFAIK !)

My other half is out of work and relies on the Internet/phone for job searching etc. so I cannot afford to be without either at the moment.

If I call BT and ask to be migrated over, will they contact VM and then VM will disconnect my Broadband and phone? Or will the VM Broadband still work but just the phone line will migrated back to BT? At that point they can apply Infinity to the new BT land line.

I hope that the VM BB will remain for a while as I am sure that there is a time when I will have the BT land line working but waiting for Infinity to be connected. While that is the case I will still be able to use the VM Broadband.

Anyone else been in a similar situation that can offer any advice?

Thanks.

edit: Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2012, 12:33   #2
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stafford
Posts: 4,225
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

the broadband should stay
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:42   #3
Sephiroth
Wisdom & truth
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

I am still a VM customer. But I also have Infinity which replaced O2 ADSL.

I obtained a MAC code from O2 so that I could transfer the broadband connection back to BT. They then connected me to Infinity. The outage time was limited to the physicals associated with the changeover. So a couple of hours tops - 40 minutes in my case.

Now, for O2 read VM and get the MC code from them
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:50   #4
Wallace
Inactive
 
Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

So if I understand you correctly, the VM Broadband will be unaffected by the phone line migration. That is good. I know that it will result in me paying both BT and VM for a short while but it will be worth it in the long run.

Another question now pops into my mind...

I migrate over my land line, leaving my VM Broadband unaffected, will VM consider that a change of contract and tie me in for 12 months with their Broadband only package? I don't mind paying for both BB in the short term but I obviously don't want VM BB & Infinity to run together for any longer than necessary. The whole idea is to save money!
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:55   #5
ferretuk
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
Posts: 501
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Some info required before any advice can be given (including that from the previous two posters!)

1. Is your Virgin broadband ADSL or Cable?
2. Who supplies your telephone service?

If your broadband is cable and your phoneline is supplied by Virgin then the broadband element is independent of any phone connection so will not disconnected until Virgin cancel your account. If you wish to retain your Virgin landline number then there will be some disruption as the number port occurs. Don't forget that you'll also be paying for a BT landline installation, even if you physically already have a suitable unused line, unless they're running any offers or you get free install being staff...

If you're a Virgin ADSL customer then you'll have a BT Openreach supplied landline already already so you just need a MAC from Virgin. A PAC is for porting mobile numbers between providers.
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:56   #6
arcimedes
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oxfordshire
Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
Posts: 1,158
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

I think there may possibly be some confusion.

You say you have VM broadband and phone but is it the cable service of the national ADSL service?

If its cable then the phone service is not running through the BT lines and so could not be micrated as you need to have a usable BT line ( which you may have) You can move the number though.

Or if you have the national service then presumably the broadband would cease when the Virgin phone line is reconnected back to BT?

I note ferretuk beat me to it by a minute!
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 13:22   #7
Sephiroth
Wisdom & truth
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
So if I understand you correctly, the VM Broadband will be unaffected by the phone line migration. That is good. I know that it will result in me paying both BT and VM for a short while but it will be worth it in the long run.

Another question now pops into my mind...

I migrate over my land line, leaving my VM Broadband unaffected, will VM consider that a change of contract and tie me in for 12 months with their Broadband only package? I don't mind paying for both BB in the short term but I obviously don't want VM BB & Infinity to run together for any longer than necessary. The whole idea is to save money!
As I've read your original note:

1/
Your previous BT telephone line was moved to VM under the LLU rules. That line still terminates on the BT exchange.

2/
On top of that line you have VM National Broadband running.

When you migrate the line to BT you might also wish to make sure VM understand that you are cancelling your ADSL broadband, because that could still continue over the BT line. Or you might wish to continue it.

3/
I now understand why you said you wanted to ask a technical question. I take that question to be: Can VM ADSL and BT Infinity run at the same time over the common link to the PCP. I don't see why not because AFAIK there is no frequency clash. Others might care to comment on that.

But as I said earlier, if you cancel the whole VM thing (I recommend), your broadband outage will be less than 2 hours.
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 13:35   #8
Wallace
Inactive
 
Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

I have CABLE VM Broadband and telephone. Currently BT have no involvment at all. IE. There is no connectivity from my house to anywhere else. The dropwire from the DP (Pole) is disconnected.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 13:41   #9
kwikbreaks
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I don't see why not because AFAIK there is no frequency clash. Others might care to comment on that.
I haven't checked what VDSL uses but ADSL2+ uses 25KHz to ~ 2MHz and I really can't see VDSL only using higher given that it is the low frequencies that suffer least attenuation on twisted pair (as well as coax).

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
I have CABLE VM Broadband and telephone. Currently BT have no involvment at all. IE. There is no connectivity from my house to anywhere else. The dropwire from the DP (Pole) is disconnected.
In that case you can have both running together. You will need to cancel the VM service. If you want to port the phone number then it has to be live on the day it gets ported to BT. That will not affect the VM broadband at all as it is a totally separate circuit.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 13:49   #10
Ignitionnet
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
3/
I now understand why you said you wanted to ask a technical question. I take that question to be: Can VM ADSL and BT Infinity run at the same time over the common link to the PCP. I don't see why not because AFAIK there is no frequency clash. Others might care to comment on that.
Although not relevant to this thread especially no they cannot run at the same time over the same copper pair as there is a complete frequency overlap.

ADSL runs over 25.875kHz - 2.2MHz, VDSL 2 has an upstream frequency band between 25.875kHz and 138kHz, a downstream frequency band between 138kHz and 1,104kHz then the rest of the range up to 17MHz split between upstream and down.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 13:54   #11
Wallace
Inactive
 
Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
In that case you can have both running together. You will need to cancel the VM service. If you want to port the phone number then it has to be live on the day it gets ported to BT. That will not affect the VM broadband at all as it is a totally separate circuit.
Thank you. That's what I wanted too know.

Will I be tied in to VM for another 12 months for varying my contract?
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 14:49   #12
ShadowTD
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Loughborough (Langley)
Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
Posts: 823
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Just to throw my tuppence in, I did the same thing - had a two week overlap where I had both VM and Infinity. But I didn't port my landline number as only 3 people use it, so no hardship giving them a new one. So neither company knew a thing about the other!
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 16:40   #13
kwikbreaks
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Will I be tied in to VM for another 12 months for varying my contract?
Surely you aren't varying it you are completely cancelling it. You can cancel the phone service as soon as it has ported and the broadband at any time you like.

If you felt confident that BT would stick to their install date you could give VM advance notice in advance but it's a lot safer just to do so once the BT services are up and running OK as either company could screw up and you'd be left with nowt.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 23:31   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Thank you. That's what I wanted too know.

Will I be tied in to VM for another 12 months for varying my contract?
No. I did exactly the same thing recently. Ported my telephone line over, then cancelled the broadband a month later once I was happy with the new (BT Infinity) service's stability. There is no extension or change in contract, both phone and broadband can be cancelled separately and independently.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 19:49   #15
Wallace
Inactive
 
Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Re: Potential move to BT Infinity...

Thanks all for deciphering my post! I know what I want to say, but always struggle trying to get my point across in text form.

You have told me what I needed to know.

Thanks again.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:31.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum