Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Genuine laptop chargers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up new Toshiba laptop
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56   #1
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Setting up new Toshiba laptop

Hi guys. Just bought a new Toshiba Satellite C660-181 and, being an overcautious technophobe, I'm looking for some advice on setting it up. The very brief user guide states that the machine must not be turned of during initial setup and, as I've not done it before, this set me thinking about what to expect when I start the process. Can anyone run me through what steps are likely to be required and what options offered during the initial setup please?

Cheers as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2011, 13:22   #2
Dai
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

The initial factory installation of Windows 7 runs through a scripted set of procedures.

This invites you to create a user account of your choice and sets up the desktop. It normally includes invitations also to set up various bits of trial software.

It's important not to interrupt the script, however once it's done you can clean off any unwanted trialware in the normal way.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 13:37   #3
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

Thanks Dai, I'm still using XP on this PC so do you mean it will ask me to set up a password protected Admin account at the initial stage or another user account? Also, will I need to set it up for connection to my wireless router or can I do all that later. Really, I just want to get the thing switched on and working before I start having to do all the other fiddling about.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 14:40   #4
Dai
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

It does depend to a certain extent on the manufacturer's scripting but I would expect it to do an Admin password routine and also invite you to choose a name/password for your user account(s).

Once it gets through this setup routine at some point it will probably advise that wireless networks are in range and invite you to connect.

You may wish to delay that until you have your security sorted although I guess you'd be safe enough if you just want to download something like Microsoft Security Essentials.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 15:12   #5
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

Thanks Dai.

I seem to have done it and managed to connect briefly to my network just to see if it worked which it did. I was just wondering about the security side of things - it comes with a McAfee free trial but I haven't been asked anything about setting this up yet so am not sure if it's actually running. I know nothing about setting up security in Win7 so would appreciate your advice on this. I'm using and have been very happy with Avast v.6.0.1203 and the XP firewall so would like to ditch McAfee and use similar. How would I do this?

Sincere thanks for all your help!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 15:27   #6
Dai
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

The firewall in Windows 7 is a great improvement on the XP version. I would stick with that rather than use a 3rd party firewall, particularly when you're behind a Hub/router that gives you an extra layer of protection.

I'm personally not a great fan of Mcafee products. For a free antivirus the Microsoft Security Essentials seems to be effective and not too greedy with CPU time. However, if you are happy with Avast there's no reason to change. It will work just fine with 7.

The McAfee trial offer should be easily removable from the control panel 'uninstall a program'.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 16:09   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive
 
Mick Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
The firewall in Windows 7 is a great improvement on the XP version. I would stick with that rather than use a 3rd party firewall, particularly when you're behind a Hub/router that gives you an extra layer of protection.

I'm personally not a great fan of Mcafee products. For a free antivirus the Microsoft Security Essentials seems to be effective and not too greedy with CPU time. However, if you are happy with Avast there's no reason to change. It will work just fine with 7.

The McAfee trial offer should be easily removable from the control panel 'uninstall a program'.
There a removal tool for McAfee on their site.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 16:45   #8
MadGamer
Inactive
 
MadGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex
Age: 38
Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
Posts: 8,851
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

I can also recommend PC De Crapifier
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 13:28   #9
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

Thanks guys. Not had time to do much of this but I keep getting Toshiba warranty registration reminders each time I turn on. I've had a look at the terms etc. and I'm a bit concerned that in addition to getting important updates, support etc., registering the machine leaves me open to getting all sorts of sales/marketing guff getting sent to me via Toshiba and their mates with no way of stopping it. There appears to be no 'opt out' option for third party marketing etc. I'm inclined to think registering for the warranty is important so am I being overcautious about the potential deluge of spam (which I've heard about in some reviews) and can I prevent it happening?
McAfee is also bullying me to register/pay but I'm intending to ditch that and download Avast free version when I have time.

Can anyone advise please?

TVM as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 08:40   #10
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

As mentioned in another thread, I'm having problems getting a Trust wireless mouse to work with the laptop.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35291206-post6.html

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong or anything else I can try?

Cheers.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 08:49   #11
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Setting up new Toshiba laptop

Please stick to the existing thread for the mouse problem
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:15.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum