Quote:
|
England's Italian football manager Fabio Capello claims he can manage his players with just 100 words. So how far could you get with a vocabulary of that size?
|
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12894638
Interesting. I often see tourists in Cambridge and London, and many of them seem to be able to use transport, get a meal, visit places, etc. with just a few words and gestures.
I don't speak any language other than the one my mother taught me, but when abroad I feel confident getting around with just a handful of foreign words, like please, thank you, how much, no, yes, help, someone call the police, etc. Of course, in any public place there is likely to be someone who speaks English, so if I'm in real difficulty* help is usually not far away.
* like the time in rural France the ticket inspector insisted I pay a surcharge for being British (that's my story anyway).