Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Where's my flippin' letter?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Surround System
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2011, 13:45   #1
fdj12
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 46
fdj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Surround System

Good day....I have just purchased an Alba 3.1 surround system (Alba AS122 100W 3.1 Home Theatre Speaker Kit) and would like some help from the technical people on this site to help with a problem that I have encountered please. I have a virgin box, just a normal one, not one that can record etc.

I have connected all the wires according to the instructions correctly,
and the surround system is working fine on the DVD player, however when I switch the system to Aux which I have connected the TV to, there is no sound at all, the TVs own speakers are still on.

Does anybody know how I can fix this problem please.

Thanks in advance
fdj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2011, 14:11   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive
 
MovedGoalPosts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Surround System

I'm a little unclear as to your setup

My recommendation:

DVD output <audio> surround input
V box output phono leads < audio > surround input.

I assume that you are using a scart lead output from the V box which has phono plug breakout connectors for the audio.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 15:03   #3
fdj12
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 46
fdj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Surround System

OK here goes................

My TV is connected to virgin box by hdmi lead and my dvd also.

I have connected the Alba leads from the subwoofer to the DVD player and the TV, when the DVD player is selected on the subwoofer, sound emits from the 3 speakers, however when I change the subwoofer to AUX which is the TV nothing happens, the sound still comes from the TV.
There is no output connections to the V box, there are no scart leads connected at all.

Are you saying I should connect TV to V box with scart lead
?
fdj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 15:12   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive
 
MovedGoalPosts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Surround System

If you are using HDMI output from the V box then the scart output would be disabled.

So your DVD player is connected to the TV for vision and direct to the Albi for sound, yet the V box is connected only to the TV with no direct sound connection to the Albi

Is the socket from the TV that you have connected the Albi to actually capable of sound output, or is it ini fact for input only? If the TV output will provide sound to the Albi then you should be able to use that same output for both V or DVD boxes without change of selection on the Albi.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 15:20   #5
fdj12
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 46
fdj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Surround System

it mlooks as though it may be input only as the dvd states audio output, if that is the case that the tv is only input does that mean that there is no way to connect the system at all?
fdj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 19:09   #6
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness
 
alwaysabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,393
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Surround System

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdj12 View Post
it mlooks as though it may be input only as the dvd states audio output, if that is the case that the tv is only input does that mean that there is no way to connect the system at all?
How are you connecting the the Tv to the Alba system and what type of connection? eg 3.5 Phono
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 21:35   #7
AIDEN_23
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 45
AIDEN_23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Surround System

My surround sound is connected from BLU- Ray Player to V+HD box via a digital Optical Cable.And then connected to the TV via HDMI cable.The reason it isnt connected direct to TV is the cable isnt long enough(amateur mistake on my part).It may not have this capability, but I remember before that I had it connected to my Hi-Fi and it was a phono to phono cable which is a red and white to red and white lead From the Hi-Fi to the TV.I recall it was a pain in the bottom to find in stores but cheap and easy to get it online. And since it is connected direct to your TV there would be no need to run cables via the Virgin box,I will stand corrected if I am wrong though.
AIDEN_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 22:33   #8
Wild Oscar
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 330
Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road
Re: Surround System

I'd connect this way .. if possible of course!

V box to DVD player by SCART ..
DVD player to TV by HDMI ..
DVD player audio output to surround sound by red/white audio lead ..
The Alba only has these connections according to this photo ..

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3967/imgp0485.jpg

This is approximately what I use (with a Sony 5.1 setup) and it seems to work well enough ..
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 07:55   #9
fdj12
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 46
fdj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Surround System

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
How are you connecting the the Tv to the Alba system and what type of connection? eg 3.5 Phono
I was trying to connect directly from the surround sound system but it looks as though the audio connections on the tv are for input only and are not output, if you knoow what I mean
fdj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:24   #10
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness
 
alwaysabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,393
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Surround System

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdj12 View Post
I was trying to connect directly from the surround sound system but it looks as though the audio connections on the tv are for input only and are not output, if you knoow what I mean
yes I understand what you are saying. Does your TV have a head phone socket? if you have you should be able to output sound from this to your Alba unit.
I have a 2.1 system and I use this method.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:21   #11
fdj12
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 46
fdj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Surround System

Thanks always, I asked a mate and he said exactly that and have done that and it works fine. Thanks again
fdj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:42   #12
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness
 
alwaysabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,393
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Surround System

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdj12 View Post
Thanks always, I asked a mate and he said exactly that and have done that and it works fine. Thanks again
You are welcome pleased I could help
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:06.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum