Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | giganews (usenet)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Downgrading to broadband only
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2011, 10:51   #1
badhairday
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London..init
Services: Virgin Media
Posts: 93
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them
Downgrading to broadband only

As this Depression bites I,(like many others), have no choice but to look for ways to save cash.
I never use my phone so see no need for the £13.90 a month expense.
The TV I need can be seen with Freeview.
So all I really need is my broadband connection with which I can use voip telephone services.
I am sure I am not the only one considering these options.

Has anyone been able to downgrade to Broadband only with VM ?
If so was it/is it hassle free ?

I did phone VM customer services a few months ago and got the impression that it was not possible, even if I cancelled then returned.
However I did wonder had I taken it further and asked at Retentions would they have told me something differant.

I would be grateful for anyones experiences with this as time is pressing and I have to start making cuts asap.

Thanks
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2011, 12:21   #2
Nopanic
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,249
Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Are you in a contract ? if not, I dont see why not ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 13:02   #3
badhairday
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London..init
Services: Virgin Media
Posts: 93
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

I've been with VM for years so I'm outside the original contract period.
I just would like to know if anyone has made such a change and how it went.
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 13:52   #4
FairyFairy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Having the three together gives a discount.

I bet stand alone Broadband would be expensive.

Might be worth trawling the net to find other ISPs and their costs as well
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 13:59   #5
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

10Mb BB on it's own is only about £6 cheaper than with a phone.. Is it worth while dropping your number just for that?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:03   #6
kwikbreaks
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

I took the phone along with broadband to get the free install, free months, and some cashback. As soon as the year was up I cancelled the phone. It was no problem at all. As usual I avoided normal CS by taking the I'm thinking of leaving option.

You won't save £13.90 by dropping the phone though because the BB cost goes up. You'll save ~ £3. 10m BB only costs £21. I did it and swapped to Vonage VOIP instead because we do use the landline and VM telephony isn't competetive.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:05   #7
badhairday
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London..init
Services: Virgin Media
Posts: 93
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

I phoned VM retentions

I was given two options:
1/ basic phone,basic TV(black and white)(joking), removal certain features from the V+ box,I have no idea which. And keep my 10meg U/L BB £32 a month approx.(30 days notice)
2/ Basic phone and 10meg U/L BB £21.40 a month(18 month contract,£49 reconnection fee if I wished to upgrade back)

Which begs the question what if I could ditch the phone, my original wish. I did not ask as I doubt if they would break the £20 barrier but there may be wiggle room there for anyone wishing to go further.

I must not forget of course that for me VM has provided an excellent service over the years and for what could be £7.50 a week for phone,tv and broadband services I cannot complain.

£21.40 is fine for me as I can get freeview and use my PS3 for bbc,itv and Ch 4 catchups.
However and this is more info for others coming this way. I don't have a roof aerial for the freeview so taking this expense (£110 supply and fit) into consideration, it would be best long term wo go that way however as I don't expect to be here for another year its probably my best solution to take option 1.
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:10   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhairday View Post
I phoned VM retentions

I was given two options:
1/ basic phone,basic TV(black and white)(joking), removal certain features from the V+ box,I have no idea which. And keep my 10meg U/L BB £32 a month approx.(30 days notice)
2/ Basic phone and 10meg U/L BB £21.40 a month(18 month contract,£49 reconnection fee if I wished to upgrade back)

Which begs the question what if I could ditch the phone, my original wish. I did not ask as I doubt if they would break the £20 barrier but there may be wiggle room there for anyone wishing to go further.

I must not forget of course that for me VM has provided an excellent service over the years and for what could be £7.50 a week for phone,tv and broadband services I cannot complain.

£21.40 is fine for me as I can get freeview and use my PS3 for bbc,itv and Ch 4 catchups.
However and this is more info for others coming this way. I don't have a roof aerial for the freeview so taking this expense (£110 supply and fit) into consideration, it would be best long term wo go that way however as I don't expect to be here for another year its probably my best solution to take option 1.
The V+ features will probably be disabled preventing recording of new content and playback of any existing recordings.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:28   #9
badhairday
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London..init
Services: Virgin Media
Posts: 93
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Fairyfairy,thanks for the advice.
I have done a lot of research on what other isps had to offer. None could beat what I already have.
Sky looks good but have download limits.
Bt the same.
The cheapies talktalk and plusnet have terrible reputations for service, and if it sounds to good to be true...it is !

I am sure these companies think we are all quite daft, they flash these fantastic offers in our faces each day hoping we won't read the small print,the minutiae that really matters.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Thanks Masque, small but very important changes.
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:42   #10
New to cable
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 352
New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
The V+ features will probably be disabled preventing recording of new content and playback of any existing recordings.
Let me get this straight, he (assuming OP is male) will be paying for a service from VM but they won't let him use the recording features unless he pays extra.

But will be classed as a paying VMtv customer?

Also for £32 a month Sky would give you unlimited upto 20Mb internet truly unlimited unmanaged, a lot of tv including Sky1-Sky atlantic-Sky living, you can also record and get skyanytime and sky anytime+ a phoneline and all free to air HD channels.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:56   #11
badhairday
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London..init
Services: Virgin Media
Posts: 93
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Update.

I asked VM for the basic TV(freeview) etc...£28.90 not £32 as previously mentioned.

I did ask about removing the phone completely and its as Kwikbreaks said, BB rises beyond any significant saving.
However the move to broadband only is smooth and hassle free but watch out for the minutiae

I am very grateful for everyones input
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 21:16   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
Let me get this straight, he (assuming OP is male) will be paying for a service from VM but they won't let him use the recording features unless he pays extra.

But will be classed as a paying VMtv customer?

Also for £32 a month Sky would give you unlimited upto 20Mb internet truly unlimited unmanaged, a lot of tv including Sky1-Sky atlantic-Sky living, you can also record and get skyanytime and sky anytime+ a phoneline and all free to air HD channels.
If you downgrade your V+ into a standard box then you cannot use the V+ features, this is nothing new and has been mentioned many times before.

One thing you obviously forget about SKY is that after 12 months all technician visits are chargeable and you own the equipment unlike Virginmedia where all that is free for the whole period that you are a customer.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 21:34   #13
jimpy0
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 65
Posts: 81
jimpy0 is infamous around these partsjimpy0 is infamous around these parts
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Bit late on this, but can i add my 2 penneth. I too once considered dropping my phone during a cash crisis, but was persuaded to keep it as i have health issues which occasionally require an ambulance. If ringing 999 off a mobile they [emergency services] cannot find your if unable to speak, wheras with a landline they can. Which made sense to me, so i found other ways to save.

Jim
jimpy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:02   #14
Tuvoc
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 89
Tuvoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post

One thing you obviously forget about SKY is that after 12 months all technician visits are chargeable and you own the equipment unlike Virginmedia where all that is free for the whole period that you are a customer.
Incredibly important this in my view. With Sky you either pay for technician visits after the 12 mths and pay to replace the equipment if it fails, or you can pay an extra monthly fee for cover for your equipment. No thanks, Virgin wins hands down in this respect
Tuvoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:21   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Downgrading to broadband only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuvoc View Post
Incredibly important this in my view. With Sky you either pay for technician visits after the 12 mths and pay to replace the equipment if it fails, or you can pay an extra monthly fee for cover for your equipment. No thanks, Virgin wins hands down in this respect
The monthly fee can be an extra £10 just in case you need an engineer which in my eyes is extracting the urine.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:19.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum