Is HD all its cracked up to be?
08-08-2010, 17:05
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3
|
Is HD all its cracked up to be?
I have had a VM VIP package over the past two years or so which came with a V+ box but I have only recently inherited an HD TV.
Having connected it up, using an HDMI Cable and set the V+ up to 1080 wide and Hi Def HDMI format I sat back looking at my Sony Bravia TV expecting to be amazed by the quality of the image.
I have to confess that I am barely able to tell the difference with the free HD channels compared with the SD equivalent (on say ESPN). I see the V+ box claiming that it is outputting HDTV but it looks much the same.
So is my Sony TV not really displaying HD or is the box not really outputting it? Or am I not that observant? Or is HD just a hyped up service that is not much difference? It certainly does not encourage me to pay for Sky HD!
Any suggestions?
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 17:14
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 175
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
Ive found very much the same in truth. In fairness I think its because the V+ box does such a good job of upscaling SD that the diffrence is negligable.
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 17:18
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scotland
Age: 44
Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband
SKY HD Multiroom
Freeview HD
Freesat HD
Posts: 2,816
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
there a fewe factures one being as the previous poster said the v+ box does upscalign sd channels quite well, but you also have to take the vieweing distance, angle and otehr tihng into a acodutn ot make sure oyu get the most out of hd, and it also depend swhat oyu watch if you watch one of the nature programs you will see hd for it potential sports do benefits form hd but dependsin on what oyu want it for to see the players facer clearer and see sweat etc it all depend son what you watch, and hot oyur setup is
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 17:30
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Services: Sky Stream
Posts: 342
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
ESPN HD isn't that great anyway IMO, try Eurosport HD and tell me what you think.
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 17:30
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenwich, SE10
Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
Posts: 865
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
How big's the screen on your new TV? 32in or smaller I can understand HD not appearing too disimilar, but any larger and the difference should be considerable.
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 18:01
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
Thanks for the comments.
Eurosport HD does seem to be a good picture and quite sharp but I do not have the same programme to compare it with at present.
My TV is 28" (small room). If this explains my dissatisfaction then fine although it does rather confirm my suspicions that its hype! Why sell smaller HD REady TVs if you do not get the benefit!
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 18:25
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coventry
Posts: 17
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
Agree with HD not being all that!!! Sky have built up all the hype!!! I have had it for over a year and can't really tell the difference!!! Sometimes the colour is sharper, but that's all!!!
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 18:58
|
#8
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Q
Thanks for the comments.
Eurosport HD does seem to be a good picture and quite sharp but I do not have the same programme to compare it with at present.
My TV is 28" (small room). If this explains my dissatisfaction then fine although it does rather confirm my suspicions that its hype! Why sell smaller HD REady TVs if you do not get the benefit!
|
Because unfortunately people see the HD Ready badge and think its a feature. And then they pay more for it.
The ridiculous thing is there are many people here complaining about SD picture quality because they have bought too big a screen for their viewing distance.
---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by davies1977
Agree with HD not being all that!!! Sky have built up all the hype!!! I have had it for over a year and can't really tell the difference!!! Sometimes the colour is sharper, but that's all!!!
|
On the right screen size, with the right viewing distance HD is awesome.
|
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 19:03
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: mansfield
Services: 3 x xl tv all sport and movies sky premium on 1 box 50mg broadband
Posts: 49
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
how can anyone say hd aint that good ive got a 42inch viera with bluray home cinema and not only is the sound far better but the picture is amaizing ufc last night looked mint cant even watch most sd when you get used to the hd picture especialy sky movies sd that sucks
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 19:22
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Coventry
Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 1,508
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Q
I have had a VM VIP package over the past two years or so which came with a V+ box but I have only recently inherited an HD TV.
Having connected it up, using an HDMI Cable and set the V+ up to 1080 wide and Hi Def HDMI format I sat back looking at my Sony Bravia TV expecting to be amazed by the quality of the image.
I have to confess that I am barely able to tell the difference with the free HD channels compared with the SD equivalent (on say ESPN). I see the V+ box claiming that it is outputting HDTV but it looks much the same.
So is my Sony TV not really displaying HD or is the box not really outputting it? Or am I not that observant? Or is HD just a hyped up service that is not much difference? It certainly does not encourage me to pay for Sky HD!
Any suggestions?
|
A lot of factors to consider here, like Screen size; Viewing distance, and Screen calibration (have you altered the settings for HD content?).
Also, just because something is in HD, doesn't mean it will be great HD. I rented out the SD DVD of Mr and Mrs Smith and I couldn't tell the difference between that and the Blu Ray version.
And of course, the V+ HD does a good job of up-scaling SD content anyway.
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 20:11
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coventry
Posts: 17
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
No disrespect, but I just want to watch TV sitting on my comfy sofa. I don't want to be sitting in certain angles, a certain distance from the TV, etc!! I have a top of the range 52 in Sony Bravia, which has been correctly installed and currently watching a film in HD and I still can't really tell the difference!!! Personal point and think HD is over hyped, so don't feel offended if I don't think it's awesome, amazing or outstanding!!
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 20:20
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Coventry
Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 1,508
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davies1977
No disrespect, but I just want to watch TV sitting on my comfy sofa. I don't want to be sitting in certain angles, a certain distance from the TV, etc!! I have a top of the range 52 in Sony Bravia, which has been correctly installed and currently watching a film in HD and I still can't really tell the difference!!! Personal point and think HD is over hyped, so don't feel offended if I don't think it's awesome, amazing or outstanding!!
|
I'm not offended that you're not blown away by HD.
But, IMO, to get the best out of a HDTV, those factors have to be considered.
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 20:27
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Midlands
Age: 73
Services: Virgin Media full package
Posts: 57
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
Hi
Check your TV settings, colour, backlight, contrast etc, once set to best level you will see the true potential of HD.
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 20:28
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Woking
Age: 56
Posts: 2,266
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davies1977
No disrespect, but I just want to watch TV sitting on my comfy sofa. I don't want to be sitting in certain angles, a certain distance from the TV, etc!! I have a top of the range 52 in Sony Bravia, which has been correctly installed and currently watching a film in HD and I still can't really tell the difference!!! Personal point and think HD is over hyped, so don't feel offended if I don't think it's awesome, amazing or outstanding!!
|
You can't see the difference between SD and HD on a £3.5k TV apart from the colour?
|
|
|
08-08-2010, 21:24
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,622
|
Re: Is HD all its cracked up to be?
I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma a couple of weeks ago, then got a V+ box, and my first impression was that it wasn't as amazing as I thought it should be, until I saw the opening credits of Smallville on E4 HD, then saw Dexter on FX HD, and again flicking between normal and HD, it was very obvious which was which.
Certain programmes look better than others. Top Gear looks great, but Last of the Summer Wine, the One show look similar on both.
Remember channels like E4 HD show programmes like Friends, which aren't in HD so won't look as amazing as you may think they should.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:33.
|