20-06-2007, 16:05
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 211
|
Waitrose ISP.
For ALL the usual reasons (support, or rather lack of it, customer service, or rather lack of it, plus the impending £2.50 per 10 minutes bull****), I want to get rid of my virgin/ntl package.
I've got virgin cable TV, phone, and broadband.
I'm going for Freeview, BT, and Waitrose broadband (expensive monthly rate but free helpline and they give internet provider profits to charity).
Any thoughts on the above would be very useful. I am a heavy internet user, but don't download much - no music, just the occasional movie clip....
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Allen, London.
|
|
|
20-06-2007, 16:15
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Personally I'd go for a more reputable BB provider, you never know what youre getting from Supermarkets, often resold crap
|
|
|
21-06-2007, 00:11
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2004
Services: VM 50Mb
Posts: 1,665
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Mm yea, is a tad expensive
£18.99 for 8mb and a usage cap of 5gb
|
|
|
21-06-2007, 08:18
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2006
Services: ntl Family Pack, 2Mbps Broadband
Posts: 15
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Waitrose internet service is actually provided by Brightview - the company behind ISPs Global Internet, Madasafish and formerly freenetname. They are a proper ISP - but rather expensive it seems to me.
|
|
|
21-06-2007, 08:49
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeanders
Waitrose internet service is actually provided by Brightview - the company behind ISPs Global Internet, Madasafish and formerly freenetname. They are a proper ISP - but rather expensive it seems to me.
|
Global Internet - who?
Freenetname/Masasafish - were good for dialup in their day, but now? No clue!
|
|
|
21-06-2007, 09:23
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Norwich
Posts: 906
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes
For ALL the usual reasons (support, or rather lack of it, customer service, or rather lack of it, plus the impending £2.50 per 10 minutes bull****), I want to get rid of my virgin/ntl package.
I've got virgin cable TV, phone, and broadband.
I'm going for Freeview, BT, and Waitrose broadband (expensive monthly rate but free helpline and they give internet provider profits to charity).
Any thoughts on the above would be very useful. I am a heavy internet user, but don't download much - no music, just the occasional movie clip....
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Allen, London.
|
I'll try and offer something a bit constructive. OK so it's not the cheapest, but money isn't the most important thing to everyone. I know someone who uses Waitrose broadband and the 2 things they love are what you mentioned.
We are talking Waitrose which is part of John Lewis, so you expect good customer service and you deffinitely get it. I wouldn't say they are the most techy in the world the people on their helplines, but then show me a company where all the staff are great.
Secondly like you said some profit goes to charity and that alone could be a reason to use it.
I think as an ISP you could do far worse.
|
|
|
21-06-2007, 09:53
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 211
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Thanks for the replies.
No, money isn't everything, and maybe a tenner a month is worth it to get out of Virgin's clutches. And having used Waitrose online delivery service for several years, I can vouch for their excellent customer service record (plus the fastest online supermarket ordering system and no I don't work for them!)
Could someone explain what (apart from ten quid) I will lose by using their broadband service, i.e. what does the '8mb' and '5gb' mean to me, in day-to-day terms. What difference will I see?
Thanks.
Allen.
|
|
|
21-06-2007, 10:10
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Swinton
Services: O2 standard
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes
Thanks for the replies.
No, money isn't everything, and maybe a tenner a month is worth it to get out of Virgin's clutches. And having used Waitrose online delivery service for several years, I can vouch for their excellent customer service record (plus the fastest online supermarket ordering system and no I don't work for them!)
Could someone explain what (apart from ten quid) I will lose by using their broadband service, i.e. what does the '8mb' and '5gb' mean to me, in day-to-day terms. What difference will I see?
Thanks.
Allen.
|
8mb refers to the line speed, or "upto 8mb" as it should correctly state, and is dependent on a few factors. Firstly, type your postcode into the tool here, this will tell you your straight line distance to the exchange. The 5gb refers to the amount of data you can download, if you just browse the internet and send email, 5gb will be fine. If you download films/music, you'll need more than that.
|
|
|
21-06-2007, 10:22
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
Global Internet - who?
|
There are massive, or were at least. They were my first proper ISP waaaay back in the day. We moved to them from Compuserve way back in the 90s
|
|
|
21-06-2007, 19:05
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 2,974
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
There are massive, or were at least. They were my first proper ISP waaaay back in the day. We moved to them from Compuserve way back in the 90s
|
I used them for dial-up before I moved to BB. As you say, they were well known then.
Sic transit gloria mundi
|
|
|
10-07-2007, 22:10
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,898
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeanders
Waitrose internet service is actually provided by Brightview - the company behind ISPs Global Internet, Madasafish and formerly freenetname. They are a proper ISP - but rather expensive it seems to me.
|
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3...rightview.html
Who will quite possibly soon be owned by BT.
|
|
|
11-07-2007, 13:06
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,064
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
Sic transit gloria mundi
|
Fame is fleeting 
|
|
|
11-07-2007, 13:37
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrington ntl:81304 Altitude: 12m (and falling)
Posts: 4,499
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Almost all phone line based broadband is physically provided by BT wholesale anyway. They just sell on the service to other people who actually bill you.
You can check if your local exchange offers services from other companies (known as LLU) by using one of the availablilty checkers here:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
|
|
|
11-07-2007, 13:48
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 211
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not bothered by the fact that BT are at the back of most deals, as long as I haven't got to DEAL with them (or ntl, or virgin, or sky, etc.).
Waitrose (Ocado, as they are on the www) are very pleasant people, in my experience, anxious to please and give value for money. Now where HAVEN'T I heard that before???
So, I've done the Freeview part of my switchover. I'm treading carefully before doing the broadband/phone part, as I don't mind paying a pound or two extra, but it might be quite a bit once the multi-product discounts disappear.
Allen.
|
|
|
11-07-2007, 16:51
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,898
|
Re: Waitrose ISP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
Almost all phone line based broadband is physically provided by BT wholesale anyway. They just sell on the service to other people who actually bill you.
You can check if your local exchange offers services from other companies (known as LLU) by using one of the availablilty checkers here:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
|
Yep apart from LLU the Adsl is supplied from BT wholesale owned Dslams.
I only commented on BT buying the ISP just so the OP was made aware of it.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:52.
|