Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54GSUK and WUB54GSUK £39.99

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Modems and Routers left plugged in?

Old 29-11-2006, 13:53   #1
chrisann
Inactive

chrisann is an unknown quantity at this point
Modems and Routers left plugged in?

Do you leave the Modem and th Router plugged in 24 / 7. My Linksys Router sisits atop a shelf and it does get warm. I have been turning everything off at night..as I do the computer. But each day I have to keep unplugging the Router from the elec. supply to get it to connect. Would it be better to leave it always on.

Also I have it plugged into a Surgemaster at present. Is this correct or would I be o.k. with just an ordinary plug etc.

Thankyou. Chrisann.
chrisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2006, 14:05   #2
Vlad_Dracul
Inactive

Services: Dispensing wit and wisdom in so far as I am able . P3 500Mhz/ 2Mb BB when it works,no Tv,n
Vlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful one
Re: Modems and Routers left plugged in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisann View Post
Do you leave the Modem and th Router plugged in 24 / 7. My Linksys Router sisits atop a shelf and it does get warm. I have been turning everything off at night..as I do the computer. But each day I have to keep unplugging the Router from the elec. supply to get it to connect. Would it be better to leave it always on.

Also I have it plugged into a Surgemaster at present. Is this correct or would I be o.k. with just an ordinary plug etc.

Thankyou. Chrisann.

Hi Chrisann,
Do you leave your fridge plugged in? Do you leave your central heating plugged in?

Of course you do ,so leave your modem/router plugged in. I know it kinda flies in the face of the whole global warming thing but thats just how the cookie crumbles. If you use t'internet daily then best leave it on.

I take it you have your router locked down access and security wise? I permanently switched on router with no security is a sitting duck.

joe
Vlad_Dracul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 16:15   #3
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Router has been on 24/7 for the last 2 months, can't even remember last time I booted the cable modem. Don't think it has been turned off in a good few months.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 17:14   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

I also turn of the PC,Modem & Router every night.

Main reasons - 'potential' fire risk and no point wasting electricity.
Against that, powering up a device like modem/router puts stress on the power supply.
I have no plans to leave my network on overnight.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 20:48   #5
chrisann
Inactive

chrisann is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems like there are varying opinions here..so guess it is a matter of choice then. Thanks...I think I will keep unplugging it..just in case.

Thanks all.

Chrisann.
chrisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 20:56   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I always leave mine plugged in. If it was meant to be turned off then there would be an off switch.
Old 29-11-2006, 20:56   #7
Enuff

I'm with Aragorn, I've been switching them off at the wall for a couple of months now. I'd like to know how much electric they use left on 24/7, they don't use that much do they?
Old 29-11-2006, 20:58   #8
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

PC x2, router x2 and modem have been on for months (perhaps years!)
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 21:02   #9
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

I've always had my modem left on since i got it, in fact the only time i ever unlugged was to reboot

I rarely switch my PC off aswell nowadays, when i first got it i switched it off after everytime, then went to putting it in hibernation, now i just leave it on, i'm always playing music or something on it anyway lol.
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 21:02   #10
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

We have a variety of kit running permanently - cable modem, router, VOIP ATA and USB Printer server. PC is left off but plugged in though but setup using wake-on-lan so I can wake it up from work if I need something.

In our case it's more vital to leave the router and modem plugged in as the VOIP line is our primary line these days.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 22:08   #11
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I turn both my router and modem off as it is a waste of electricity.

I am thinking of buying some timers that will switch them on automatically when I need them.
eg. Timer 1 will switch on the modem at 7.50am and then timer 2 will turn on the router at 7.55am so everything is on when it needs to be and switch off automatically when I need them to.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 22:10   #12
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

I am thinking of buying some timers that will switch them on automatically when I need them.
eg. Timer 1 will switch on the modem at 7.50am and then timer 2 will turn on the router at 7.55am so everything is on when it needs to be and switch off automatically when I need them to.
And will the timer run on batteries
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 22:29   #13
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

We have some timers that are used on certain things like that but I'm not convinced yet about buying timers specifically for that as an energy saving measure. How much energy was used to produce the timer in the first place?
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 22:32   #14
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one

My c/m + router are left on permanently
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 16:51   #15
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

The modem and possibly router if you have one will use barely any electricity at all. Check the wattage on them, I'm sure it's VERY low (maybe around 10W). Then look at your computer, if you have a modern machine it's probably somewhere between 300W-500W. I have my desktop, server, laptop, modem and router on 24/7.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote