Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cant Connect To NAS server, need help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Make me happy,and help me become wireless.. !

Old 07-01-2008, 21:19   #1
aohna
Inactive

Services: VIP Package
aohna is an unknown quantity at this point
Make me happy,and help me become wireless.. !

I started this campaign on 02/01/08, yet have failed to make much progress. Although I have an established internet connection via cable modem/ ethernet cable to router and ethernet cable to Laptop HP9605 which is WiFi certified. It's me goal to get this setup totally wireless. Yet I have had more support from you guys, than either the merchandiser where I purchased the router, HP the laptop manufacturer or our forementioned ISP. All three have just passed issue of establishing a wireless connection to each other.
The router is a Buffalo wireless G125* high speed the laptop as stated HP9605EA with the O/S Vista Home Prem. If anyone can assist I'd be most grateful.

Mel
aohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2008, 22:08   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Make me happy,and help me become wireless.. !

So, your laptop can connect wired by ethernet to the router, which in turn is connected, wired, to the modem, and thus you can browse, wired, the internet.

Only issue then is to enable the wireless application on the router, and the laptop.

The router may have been supplied with a CD that assists you with the setup process. Have you tried it? Is wireless actually running yet on your router.

Have you enabled the wireless adaptor on you laptop? If you have enabled it, try initially setting the router without any encryption and see if you can get a wireless connection that way, adding encryptions (WEP) later.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 23:24   #3
sparky621
cf.addict

Services: VM B'band "M 200" TV "Full House" Tel: "Talk More Anytime"
sparky621 is on a distinguished roadsparky621 is on a distinguished road

Follow the instructions that came with the router to the letter. I too have a buffalo and found the manual pretty good. I now have a desktop wired and 2 laptops and a palmtop all wireless. Make sure you enable encription AND set the the network name (SSID) and network key to something different to the defaults otherwise anyone nearby will be able to connect to your network with just a bit of guesswork. By the way, set up the wireless on the router whilst still wired then set up your laptop. Also keep a note of your settings for future reference as the key especially will be blanked out when you try to view it.
sparky621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 21:34   #4
aohna
Inactive

Services: VIP Package
aohna is an unknown quantity at this point

Forum members, my quest to become wireless has been resolved. As you said sparky621 its really a question of following the instructions and not looking for whats not there. So thanks to all for their input.
aohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 15:56   #5
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Welcome to wireless hell!

I've ditched wireless - kind off. Main PC's are wired but used wireless on laptops, mobiles but still sometimes have connectivity issues with those - epically the mobiles!