Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A little help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys Router installation on VM 4meg.

Old 21-12-2007, 14:13   #1
Gii
Inactive

Gii is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys Router installation on VM 4meg.

I've just connected my Linksys router (WRT54GL) to my upstairs computer and I am going through the Internet Settings installation part.

It is asking for the following information:

Connection: (DHCP/PPPoE/Static IP/PPTP/L2TP/TELSTRA)
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Gateway:
DNS 1:
DNS 2:

Can anybody tell me how to get this information please?

P.S. I'm on a Virgin media 4meg connection, if that helps.

Thank you.
Gii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2007, 14:20   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Linksys Router installation on VM 4meg.

ADSL connection (through phone line) or Cable connection?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 14:21   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Most of these settings should just be automatic, assuming you are on cable.

Plug in router WAN port ot modem ethernet. Plug in computer to router LAN port. Power all off. power on modem & let settle, power router, let settle, power PC. It should all have connected.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 14:55   #4
Gii
Inactive

4meg cable connection.

As for it being automatic, it doesn't seem to be picking up on the settings. Linksys setup wizard is asking me to input all of that information.

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Thanks for your replies, but I managed to somehow fix it myself. Something to do with generating the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity that I needed to power the router. Fortunately I had a nuclear reactor at hand.

I have a new question though.

I have both connections up and running. This computer (upstairs) is connected to the router via ethernet cable, and the downstairs computer is connected to the router via wireless. Both connections are working absolutely fine.

The wireless connection is listed as WPA_Personal. Is that safe enough for home use?

Also, how do the two computers communicate with each other through the network? I looked in 'My Computer', and 'Control Panel', but I can't find anything. Thanks.
Old 21-12-2007, 15:20   #5
vascop
Inactive

Services: Panasonic TX-32LXD700 TV Virgin media V+ & 20gb/s broadband speed/VM modem/router combined
vascop is on a distinguished roadvascop is on a distinguished road

The computers talk to each other via the router to which they are both connected.
You might find it useful to run the network setup wizard on both computers - this is in control panel.
To check the network look at my computer, my network places, view network computers.
You should see an icon for both computers if everything is OK. This should work on both computers.
vascop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 15:39   #6
Gii
Inactive

Thanks, Vascop, I appreciate the advice.

In terms of the router itself, how do I prevent it from communicating with any other computers outside of my home? For example, I wouldn't want a neighbour accessing my connection via wireless.

I notcied that as soon as i powered it up, the downstairs computer instantly recognised the router and connected. I don't want neighbours being able to do the same.
Old 21-12-2007, 15:59   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

WPA is a reasonable form of security, assuming you have also entered a reasonable strength password (If you didn't need to enter a password when your PC connected wirelessly, then you don't have security orperational ). You may want to look at the broadcast name (SSID) you have set. I at least use something ambiguous that' i'd recognise but doesn't give the game away to neighbours. Alternatively you can turn that off altegether, but that can hinder you, as well as others, even finding your network.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 16:19   #8
Gii
Inactive

Hi, Rob.

When I setup everything up, it didn't ask me to set a password. What I did do was press a button on the front of my router, it started blinking (flashing) and then I pressed 'next' on the Linksys programme downstairs to sync them both up. That method was called 'Easy Secure', or something like that.

How would I go about setting a password and getting the SSID?

As you can no doubt tell, I'm a novice at this.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

Actually, Rob, I think I just found the information.

When i went through everything earlier, I saved a text file when prompted. The text file includes the SSID and a "passphrase". The passphrase is just a random series of letters and numbers, so I'm guessing that the router set it itself?

So am I secure?
Old 21-12-2007, 16:22   #9
vascop
Inactive

Services: Panasonic TX-32LXD700 TV Virgin media V+ & 20gb/s broadband speed/VM modem/router combined

set up a filter list on the router of the MAC addresses of your 2 network adaptors (one in each computer). As all network adaptors have a unique MAC address, this will stop any other computer getting in.
If you don't know how to find the mac addresses and set them up in the list, let me know and I'll tell you.

Of course you must also set up a password so that only you can log on to the router!!!
Old 21-12-2007, 17:30   #10
Gii
Inactive

Thanks, vascop. If you could teach me how to do all of the MAC stuff that would be great.
Old 21-12-2007, 17:53   #11
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

Set up WPA-PSK with a strong password. Job Done

Mac filter is false security.
Hiding SSID is false security.

WPA-PSK + strong password/passphrase will secure your network.

Also I think you router has Secure Easy Setup (SES) but I've never used it , so couldnt comment on that. I think it requires your devices to understand the SES 'handshake' most of which tales place unencrypted. I would avoid it, and just set your own *strong* WPA-PSK passphrase on all of your devices. (So I did comment after all : )
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 18:02   #12
Gii
Inactive

Hi, Lordy.

Where do I even begin in setting all of that up? I literally have no clue where to start with setting passwords and WPA-PSK.

Simple step-by-step Instructions would be most welcomed, if it is not too much trouble.
Old 21-12-2007, 23:45   #13
vascop
Inactive

A Mac filter is not false security. It is not 100% secure but no security is. It is just part of the total security system and is worth doing as it will deter all but the most determined hackers, along with the other security features of course.

Link which tells you how to get your MAC addresses:
http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-...-Your-Computer

link which tells you how to set up your router for MAC filtering and other security measures:
http://www1.linksys.com/support/trou...filtering.html

If you have any problems let me know.
Old 22-12-2007, 01:07   #14
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

It will add little security *above* having a strong WPA-PSK password. But is a lot of effort for little gain. (Thats what I really meant rather than "false security")

Prior to WEP begin popular , MAC Filtering was almost essential. Now with WPA-PSK covering most of the bases, it doesn't bring much more to the table IMO

If someone is already struggling with all of the concepts involved then IMO they should be focusing on WPA-PSK + a good password.

I admit I probably overstated the case but MAC Filtering should not be used on its own. And in this case, the user really should be learning to secure their network with WPA before anything else - IMO.

As a security measure the only advantage MAC Filtering+WPA-PSK has over plain WPA-PSK, is if someone is in posession of your KEY , and you dont want them on your network (any more?), and they are not a skilled cracker.

In which case the first thing you should do is change your keys anyway. Now for a newbie, who is struggling with WPA and a Password, do you think it wise to suggest to them, management of MAC addresses also? I don't.
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 09:53   #15
vascop
Inactive

It's so easy to do - 5 mins at the most.