Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Concerned about "Piggybackers".

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Second PC can't share home network now

Old 04-03-2010, 15:22   #1
Margaret
cf.member

Margaret is on a distinguished roadMargaret is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Second PC can't share home network now

I have 2 PC's networked together by cable through a netgear router (Neither has a wireless card)
They have been like this for a few years with no problems and can access the internet independently
I have always managed to back up the 2nd PC's files to the external hard drive attached to the first PC but lately this doesn't happen - says it doesn't have permission
Both PC's can see each other over the network and can ping each other OK and PC no 1 can open the files on PC no 2, but not vice versa
The only change I have made recently was to install Virgin media security instead of ZoneAlarm but even going back doesn't help things

Margaret
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2010, 16:14   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Second PC can't share home network now

At first glance it would sound like a firewall issue on PC1.
You need to make sure whatever firewall is currently on there is allowing 'file and printer sharing'.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

btw, it 'might' be slightly quicker to run the backup on PC1, pulling the files over the network on to the local external drive.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 16:54   #3
Margaret
cf.member

I have just checked the firewall on PC 1 and it has full internet rights for 192.168.x.x which cover both PC's also the same on second PC
I have tried to plug the external drive into the 2nd PC but it was taking about 8 hours which it never used to do
I am using Macrium reflect to backup but there doesn't seem to be an option to select the second PC to run it from the first
Old 04-03-2010, 18:28   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

'Full internet rights' is probably blocking file sharing. Try adding the IP address of the 2nd PC as 'local' or similar.
You might be able to backup from PC1 if you mount it under a drive letter, eg Y: (use 'Map network drive' in file explorer)
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 14:36   #5
Margaret
cf.member

have just uninstalled Virgin media security and gone back to ZoneAlarm pro and AVG and everything is working again
Old 05-03-2010, 15:13   #6
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

In the case of Virgin Media Software I have yet to find a product released by them which does what it claims to.

I would have suggested doing what you did Margaret, ditch the Virgin Media software and go with ZoneAlarm.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote