Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sky sports

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Tv distribution
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2013, 10:53   #1
efw
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
efw is an unknown quantity at this point
Tv distribution

HI folks,
I hope this is the right place to ask. I’ve just bought a 4 bedroom ‘fixer upa’ house, and needs lots of work, so I will be starting from scratch. I noticed that the house an old NTL connection box on the outside of the house. I was going to get Sky installed, but now looking a VM’s Tv service.

Anyway, I want to distribute Tv around the house, but I am not sure how to do that. I know, with Sky I can use a mutliswitch, which sends the signals to the rooms, that I can lay cables to and connect sky boxes in the various rooms with subs.

I want to send/split the signal to the following rooms, family room (Tivo box), main bedroom (Tivo box and V+ boxes to the other 3 bedrooms, so there will be 5 boxes in total.
Something like this

NTL box --> Splitter
--> from splitter to Tivo box 1
--> from splitter to Tivo box 2
--> from splitter to V+ box 1
--> from splitter to V+ box 2
--> from splitter to V+ box 3

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this or if this is possible? is there a limit of the number of boxes I can have

Thanks MJH
efw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2013, 13:32   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Tv distribution

VM will install the cabling and split as necessary to put the boxes wherever you want (within reason). You can have up to 6 TV boxes.

V+ boxes are not normally available for new installs now, having been superseded by TiVo. Do you mean V-HD maybe? http://store.virginmedia.com/digital.../v-hd-box.html

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 13:40   #3
Stephen
Smeghead
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Tv distribution

VM will install a box to the rooms you want with out you having to do any work.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 15:24   #4
Jameseh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tv distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
VM will install a box to the rooms you want with out you having to do any work.
Right, if he wanted cable lying about or tacked onto his newly plastered walls, otherwise you have to do it yourself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 16:20   #5
Stephen
Smeghead
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Tv distribution

Well all my cables are neatly tacked to the top of the skirting boards and around the doors and they are hardly noticable due to being the same colour as the skirting.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 17:58   #6
efw
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
efw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Tv distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Right, if he wanted cable lying about or tacked onto his newly plastered walls, otherwise you have to do it yourself.
Yes, that is what I wanted to avoid, cables all over the place. Since it will be a work in progress, I want to get all the cables (electric/data/tv) installed, then the plasterer can come in and give the rooms a smooth finish with hidden cables.

I figured that using multiply VM boxes would use the same type as Sky, (multiswitch) but when I google'd I could not find the info I wanted. So I posted here.

Thanks
efw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 20:32   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Tv distribution

Your better running cables to one point like a cupboard including the broadband coax cable. That way you can attatch whatever cable you need.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 14:01   #8
efw
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
efw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Tv distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Your better running cables to one point like a cupboard including the broadband coax cable. That way you can attatch whatever cable you need.
Yep, that's what I had planned, was to make all the cables meet at a central point in the loft above the outside wall mounted box. I've worked it out, that I need 96m of cable, inc 10% extra for wastage etc.

I've looked around and found this cable, would this be suitable for my needs? http://www.aerialsat.com/prod/100m-h...oax-cable.html

Thanks
efw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:00.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum