Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
04-06-2013, 11:19
|
#1
|
|
Got inside news - PM me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 15,149
|
Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Outgoing chief executive will take over from Dame Amelia Fawcett, who is retiring after fours years in the role.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...an-media-group
|
|
|
04-06-2013, 14:04
|
#2
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy
|
Is that with immediate effect or 'coming soon'
|
|
|
|
04-06-2013, 22:34
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Best wishes for Neil. I know not everyone was a fan but I think he did really good things during his time at Virgin. I remember the TV service going from good to great during his reign.
|
|
|
10-06-2013, 18:48
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2007
Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Posts: 272
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Best wishes for Neil. I know not everyone was a fan but I think he did really good things during his time at Virgin. I remember the TV service going from good to great during his reign.
|
Can't say that I've noticed any improvements. What changed?
|
|
|
10-06-2013, 19:05
|
#5
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed2020
Can't say that I've noticed any improvements. What changed?
|
Lots from a customer perspective, main things I can think of being
Fastest broadband which forced others to do the same
Free HD to XL customers
ESPN free to XL customers
True on demand
TiVo
Wi if on the underground stations
And from an investor perspective he turned a dog of a company into something which somebody was prepared to pay 24 billion dollars for
|
|
|
|
10-06-2013, 19:22
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed2020
Can't say that I've noticed any improvements. What changed?
|
When Neil joined Virgin only had 1 HD channel being BBC HD.
When Neil joined Virgin did not carry the SKY basic channels.
When Neil joined Virgin did not offer BBC iPlayer, ITV player, Demand 5 or SKY on demand.
TiVo was chosen as Virgins next generation platform under Neil.
There has been plenty of other little bits and bobs added to Virgin TV during Neil's reign, but the above are the main points. Imagine going back to only 1 HD channel, no SKY basics, a limited catch up service and no TiVo!
|
|
|
12-06-2013, 22:57
|
#7
|
|
Media Watcher
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Essex
Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Posts: 2,416
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
I think Berkett steadied the ship that is UK cableco and has made UK cable a serious competitor against Sky and BT, rather than the laughing stock it always was.
I won't sing Berkett's praises, as I think he could have done a lot more and faster and he's been paid one hell of a lot of money for his efforts. But in the overview of UK cableco bosses over the last 20+ years of UK cable, no doubt he is one of the better ones.
Now we have real cable people who are the bosses of Uk cable and not just accountants, particulary Mike Fries, Liberty's CEO, who has been invloved in cable for 30 years, shame he's not the owner as I prefer him to Malone.
|
|
|
12-06-2013, 23:01
|
#8
|
|
Got inside news - PM me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 15,149
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
I think Berkett steadied the ship that is UK cableco and has made UK cable a serious competitor against Sky and BT, rather than the laughing stock it always was.
I won't sing Berkett's praises, as I think he could have done a lot more and faster and he's been paid one hell of a lot of money for his efforts. But in the overview of UK cableco bosses over the last 20+ years of UK cable, no doubt he is one of the better ones.
Now we have real cable people who are the bosses of Uk cable and not just accountants, particulary Mike Fries, Liberty's CEO, who has been invloved in cable for 30 years, shame he's not the owner as I prefer him to Malone.
|
You will love this then.
Go to 'Mike Fries interviewed by Fox Business at the Cable Show' video on the following link: http://www.libertyglobal.com/
|
|
|
12-06-2013, 23:10
|
#9
|
|
Media Watcher
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Essex
Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Posts: 2,416
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Already seen it. I'm waiting for the day when he announces that they are dropping tivo for horizon....If you think it won't happen, listen to his repeated comments for the reason they bought VM. Scale. You can only do that with the same stuff.
Won't be this year, or next. But it will come.
|
|
|
13-06-2013, 08:12
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 13,331
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Virgin Media is more than just a "cableco" it is a major telecommunications company, and derives a lot of revenue from business and wholesale.
I hope the Liberty Group learn from this.
Virgin Media alone makes up 40% of the new Liberty Groups revenue, considering the number of other companies in the group, it's obvious they are not maximising their potential.
I hope that they learn from VMs success and try to transfer that success across the other companies in the group, rather than the reverse.
But i've seen it happen several times in mergers/ buyouts.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
|
|
|
13-06-2013, 18:40
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: Virgin Media's Neil Berkett named as new chair of Guardian Media Group.
Everything I've seen and read keeps making me think that Liberty Global are going to push Virgin as a broadband business first, and a TV provider second.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:46.
|