Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using DVB-C Capable TV Instead of Freeview

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Using DVB-C Capable TV Instead of Freeview

Old 16-10-2018, 17:59   #1
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Using DVB-C Capable TV Instead of Freeview

My TV has a DVB-C tuner built in (it's a small Samsung monitor/HDTV). As I get terrible Freeview reception in the room it's in, could I just plug the co-ax directly into the TV and view the free-to-air channels? Would anything bad happen if I did?
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2018, 18:30   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Using DVB-C Capable TV Instead of Freeview

If you're asking does VM carry freeview channels on their cable system that can be tuned directly then the answer is no.

All VM channels are multipelxed using the Nagra 3 system.
Old 16-10-2018, 18:46   #3
RWCable
cf.member

I read posts on the web where some VM customers plugged the coax into their DVB-C compatible TVs and got a channel list and some unencrypted channels which work.

But as most of these posts are from 2013 and prior, and as VM is phasing out the Liberate platform in favour of TiVo/V6 which I believe a lot of works over broadband instead of DVB-C (EPG, channel data but not content), I have no idea if this still works.

I just want the unencrypted ones we're paying for anyway, surely they'd work without a box/smartcard? Or are Freeview-available channels like e.g. Sky News or CBS Reality encrypted on VM (could someone with technical info please answer that just for curiosity!)

Last edited by RWCable; 16-10-2018 at 18:53.
Old 16-10-2018, 19:25   #4
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The only channels unencrypted are the main 5 channels. Chances are you will get now and next EPG data and that’s about it.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 20:51   #5
RWCable
cf.member

Damn. Thanks for the info. I presume EPG data will also be gone once the network is TiVo/V6 only?
Old 16-10-2018, 21:28   #6
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Very likely unless it was overlooked.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 22:56   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
Damn. Thanks for the info. I presume EPG data will also be gone once the network is TiVo/V6 only?
DVB-C tuners are designed for open access cable systems, where there are free channels & you use the CAM slot & a Viewing card to access the paid for content. Cable TV in the UK is a closed system so everything is in a walled garden & you only have access through an STB. The main 5 channels have to remain unencrypted under current OFCOM rules, but receiving any more without the correct equipment is classed as theft of service.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote