Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will the V6 automatically re-record shows after it deleted them itself?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will the V6 automatically re-record shows after it deleted them itself?

Old 26-09-2018, 18:33   #16
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will the V6 automatically re-record shows after it deleted them itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I only use KUID for the very best of my recordings.
That is exactly what you should do. KUID is badly named and does NOT guarantee that recordings won't get deleted - it just sets the deletion priority. If you set every recording to KUID you might end up losing an important one.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2018, 23:17   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

That's useful to know and it is badly phrased isn't it.

I assumed that if the box was full and every recording marked as KUID, that it would simply stop recording new material- but that's clearly not the case!

At least I now know this though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 12:24   #18
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That is exactly what you should do. KUID is badly named and does NOT guarantee that recordings won't get deleted - it just sets the deletion priority. If you set every recording to KUID you might end up losing an important one.

KUID should do exactly that - if it doesn't then there is a fault in the software.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 13:24   #19
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Not trying to doubt you, but do you have evidence of this? If every recording is set to KUID I thought that it would just stop recording if the HD is full.

Last edited by Mythica; 27-09-2018 at 13:35.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 13:32   #20
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Not trying to doubt you, but do you have evidence of this? If every recording is set to KUID I thought that it would just stop recording if the HD is full.
If SP says its so you have to believe him! He has been dispensing invaluable advice and help on this forum for many years.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 13:33   #21
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
If SP says its so you have to believe him! He has been dispensing invaluable advice and help on this forum for many years.
While that is true, everyone can be wrong sometimes.
Old 27-09-2018, 16:53   #22
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Here you go:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...s/td-p/2375641

At that time there was another bug where it would delete far more recordings than necessary to make space, which made it really obvious when it happened. That bug is now fixed, but there is still the potential for small numbers of KUID recordings to be deleted if there is nothing else left for it to use.

To clarify my previous answer, it won't delete KUID recordings to make space for new recordings. But it will delete them to make room for other uses, such as the live TV buffers.
Old 27-09-2018, 17:10   #23
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Here you go:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...s/td-p/2375641

At that time there was another bug where it would delete far more recordings than necessary to make space, which made it really obvious when it happened. That bug is now fixed, but there is still the potential for small numbers of KUID recordings to be deleted if there is nothing else left for it to use.

To clarify my previous answer, it won't delete KUID recordings to make space for new recordings. But it will delete them to make room for other uses, such as the live TV buffers.
So if all recordings are set to KUID, then it will stop recording new shows when you run out of space?
Old 27-09-2018, 17:36   #24
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So if all recordings are set to KUID, then it will stop recording new shows when you run out of space?
Yes, but some existing recordings might still get deleted
Old 27-09-2018, 19:43   #25
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Yes, but some existing recordings might still get deleted
So it works how it's supposed to then.
Old 27-09-2018, 20:14   #26
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
So it works how it's supposed to then.

Not really, I would not expect it to delete KUID recordings to allow live rewind.

Is it possible to turn live rewind off to prevent this happening?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 21:05   #27
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
No
Old 28-09-2018, 13:09   #28
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

I would suggest this is reported as a bug please if it hasn't already.

In my opinion if I haven't deleted it then the wording of 'Keep Until I delete' is wrong. It is more like 'Keep until V6 decides it needs the space and deletes it'

I must admit my hard drive is rarely over 30% so this shouldn't be an issue for me but someone will find it a problem.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:16   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Not really, I would not expect it to delete KUID recordings to allow live rewind.

I wonder if tuning to an encrypted channel would effectively turn it off, or if it would record the underlying channel?

Tuning to a channel with an off air slate would simply record the slate, but probably not use as much disc space if you're about to run out completely. Tuning to a radio station would use even less.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote