Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Router advice

Old 16-01-2018, 09:27   #1
iTekweni
cf.addict

iTekweni can only hope to improve
Smile Router advice

Good morning having installed the new SH3 yesterday morning I thought it was a good thing until I tried to connect to companies Germany website for emails via VPN the only way I could and always did and found out that at I am now locked out.
I have looked up on the web and apparently the SH3 does not allow VPN's so wondering if someone has some advice regarding a router not too cheap or expensive and pretty basic configuration tips on getting my VPN back up and running..........thanks in advance
iTekweni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2018, 10:50   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Router advice

oh well, this is me being the better man, excerpts from
http://www.cableforum.uk/board/showt...#post35930062:

Quote:
At the end of the day the shub is a router and there are many settings which can be changed which can adversely affect a routers performance and/or cause it to drop its connection (not that it is doing this in this case). As with the advice above (and what I have said in another thread to someone who has the same problem as you) is if you don't want to be burdened by VM's silly little mistakes with their cheap ass routers then buy your own. Investing in a proper router will be one of the best things you ever spend your money on because you are investing in quality, performance and reliability for something which you use, enjoy and benefit from everyday. You aren't fooling yourself if you say "it isn't worth the money" because it is clearly is otherwise you wouldn't have taken the time and effort to moan on this forum.

I don't expect you to listen to a word I have said (and it looks like I was right) but for the benefit of anyone else you who is reading this post I highly recommend the following two options:

Asus AC1200 for £65

Asus AC68u for £135 (excellent future proofing)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 11:22   #3
iTekweni
cf.addict

Thanks for the advice and would it be pretty simple to setup once I connect router to sh3...cheers
Old 16-01-2018, 12:46   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

You could do it in your sleep.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 13:24   #5
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps it depends on the type of VPN but I connect to my company's VPN every week when I work from home with no problems and I use the SH3 in standard mode.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 19:16   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Old 16-01-2018, 19:33   #7
iTekweni
cf.addict

General Maximus please accept my apologies for my outburst last year as it is not in my remit to act like I did. I would also like to thank you for your assistance in trying to help me and have taken your advice and getting myself the Asus rt-ac68u ac1900 although a little above my budget but hopefully it will solve my problems in being able to get my company mail and also maybe some of the sites I used to be able to visit...cheers
Old 16-01-2018, 19:47   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

A superb decision. It is a superb router, the wifi is excellent (i get full wan speed (350mbits) over wireless) and it is good for something like 930mbits wan to lan throughput so it will last you a while. As intimated in a previous post, one of the first things you should do is change the dns settings and as an fyi google's dns servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. You will be amazed how much difference it makes, especially if you are working/running a business from home.