View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 09:10   #5387
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Post Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
everyone seems to be under the impression that I have a problem with monsters and monsters fighting and I don't. I accept that as it is a condition of the universe you are choosing to engage in.

I didn't want to get into it because I know I won't stop but what I do have a problem with is children managing to sneak into a high security base, manage to access a highly secured (and unmonitored) transport system, exit at the other end without any security or oversight, wonder around a base etc etc you get the point. Let talks about some miraculously invented flying (space) ships which can travel hundreds of miles towards the Earth's core and when you get there the team of world class scientists (specifically biologists) don't think to test the atmosphere and just assume they can take their helmets off and can breathe perfectly fine. Shall we mention Nathan Lind and how despite his field of expertise manages to do everything and anything including flying a brand new ship which nobody, including himself, has ever seen before?

As Judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense it's not true. All these stupid stupid things completely ruin the movie. This isn't an alternate time, dystopian future or anything else. They paint it as present day in as close to out current world as can be so you expect similar rules, behaviours and realism from the characters with the universe. How can you have a highly secretive all powerful megacorp which has operated in secrecy and impunity for years suddenly infiltrated by dimwits? It does my head in and it wouldn't happen.
To summarise ... you’re appealing for your filmic universe to be internally consistent, which is no bad thing. Against that I’d say you have to allow a little artistic shorthand in order to allow any story to be told within the set running time. It is a fine balancing act and not all films get it right - some directors seriously abuse their audience’s willing suspension of disbelief by demanding they accept everything they see.

I haven’t seen this film and I’m not going to be paying to do so, though I expect it will pop up somewhere I’m already subscribed to eventually. So I can’t judge how well the director has done here. However from your other posts in film and tv topics I do think you have a higher than average requirement for realism in your viewing material. You like to have the rules of the universe spelled out and then you like your characters to be seen to be obeying them. You even have a name for it, you call it your “realism factor”. Based on that I’d say science fantasy, especially science fantasy that is self-consciously riffing off mid 20th century Japanese comic book movies and Hollywood B-movies, is probably not going to float your boat.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote